Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon discriminating against LGBT literature

Options
  • 12-04-2009 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

Over the past few days, some authors have noticed the sales rankings of their books disappearing from Amazon. When questioned, it was discovered that Amazon are removing the sales rankings from 'adult' books which means that they are more difficult to find, disrupting both visibility and sales.

Fair enough.

However... Amazon are classing LGBT literature as 'adult', regardless of its actual content.

Books like John Barrowman's autobiography are being affected as well as books like 'Heather's Two Mommies' - a book aimed at children attempting to teach diversity.

And yet, there are still some explicit heterosexual books not being affected.

There's a petition online, which you can sign here: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/in-protest-at-amazons-new-adult-policy

Of course, we all know how useful online petitions are. I would advise you to check it out though as there is more information on the types of books being affected there.

There are a number of people contacting Amazon directly as well. The whole thing is on twitter under #amazonfail and AFAIK, the LA Times has picked up the story.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

It's a database error. It's not intentional. I'm not sure what exactly the problem was but I'm sure it will be rectified in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Database error...? That's a nice one. I know it's their words, but I don't believe that at all!

Advertisement