Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you want something when its gone??

• 13-04-2009 12:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi. I could do with some opinions on how to handle a possible romantic situation. Im interested in someone who is dealing with some personal problems at the moment. I was in touch with him regularly but usually initiated contact. Have decided to step back and let him deal with his problems, I think this is the only option. My thinking is that he will realise that Im not getting in touch, that I may have lost interest and he'll re establish contact. (hopeful, I know) Its just that the old cliches tend to be true ie you want something you cant have , you miss something when its gone etc. Any opinions?
    (Sorry if this is a silly topic!)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Imo don't play games.

Stay in touch, let him know you are there, but don't over egg it.

If things are going to work out they will, not keeping in touch is pointless, we all need friends when we are having a crap time. Worst case you will have a friend who will value your loyalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for your reply. Just worried that he will find my attention annoying if he is not interested? (he hasnt been in touch for a while, there may be a reason for that!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I have mixed experience with this.

I was friendly with a girl who had personal problems largely of her own making and she became increasingly needy and borrowing money she would not repay etc.Now I had dated her a bit but that was over. She was a bit of a user.

What type of personal problems are there?

What type of support/contact have you been giving.

Thanks for your reply. Just worried that he will find my attention annoying if he is not interested? (he hasnt been in touch for a while, there may be a reason for that!)

Is he in another relationship?

OP here. No, he's not in another relationship, we'd been having a casual thing. He is having some psychological problems, I don't want to be an extra hassle, I'm aware that sometimes people are too polite to tell you they are not interested in keeping in touch and for that reason, I'd rather he got in touch with me instead. I suppose I dont want to make a fool of myself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭bluecell99

THink you are right.Let him intiate further contact.No friendship/relationship can be one sided.it takes two.He must be aware that you are there and a source of support for any issues he is dealing with.

Unfortunately ,if nothing happens then I would leave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Salome

It may be possible that he won't give you a second thought, if he experiencing some problems. He may be too distracted to think of anything else. In my experience, men don't respond to subtle messages, they need direct instruction. Keep in touch by all means but keep it light, try to avoid stalker-isms. If he's interested, he'll respond but be prepared for a let down. Problems aside, if he was interested, you WOULD hear from him - wild horses won't keep an interested man away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

OP here. No, he's not in another relationship, we'd been having a casual thing. He is having some psychological problems, I don't want to be an extra hassle, I'm aware that sometimes people are too polite to tell you they are not interested in keeping in touch and for that reason, I'd rather he got in touch with me instead. I suppose I dont want to make a fool of myself

Well if you like him there is nothing wrong with keeping in touch.

Even going on the odd date - I would think he would be glad to see you.

I wouldnt really worry about making a fool of yourself - there are plenty of people who go clubbing and wake up the next morning beside a stranger - now thats making a fool of yourself:)

Advertisement