Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

say thanks to your bus driver

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

The driver usually thanks me for stopping the scumbags from taking over the bus. I reply with a polite nod.

:mad:

Really? Then this post you added on boards a few months ago seems strange to me...

They say that rain keeps the scum off the streets, but snow has the opposite effect.

I decided to get the bus out of the city centre today. A group of scumbags got on around 4 stops later. I had a hunch that something was going to kick off so I remained silent but vigilant in my seat. Around 5 minutes later the scum revealed they had smuggled snowballs onto the bus. Soon enough, the scum were throwing snowballs all around the bus. Within seconds I was on my feet and ran down to the bus driver and informed him of what was happening upstairs. The driver stopped the bus and went upstairs. He confronted the scum and removed them from the bus. The terror-stricken passengers breathed a collective sigh of relief as I thwarted yet another scumbag plan to disrupt the peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭The Citizen

Mr. Frost wrote: »
    Really? Then this post you added on boards a few months ago seems strange to me...

They say that rain keeps the scum off the streets, but snow has the opposite effect.

I decided to get the bus out of the city centre today. A group of scumbags got on around 4 stops later. I had a hunch that something was going to kick off so I remained silent but vigilant in my seat. Around 5 minutes later the scum revealed they had smuggled snowballs onto the bus. Soon enough, the scum were throwing snowballs all around the bus. Within seconds I was on my feet and ran down to the bus driver and informed him of what was happening upstairs. The driver stopped the bus and went upstairs. He confronted the scum and removed them from the bus. The terror-stricken passengers breathed a collective sigh of relief as I thwarted yet another scumbag plan to disrupt the peace.

Nothing strange about my post. The driver thanked me that day. He said that if it weren't for my couragous intervention, the scum would have taken over the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hows competition from The Coon been treating you?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭The Citizen

Overheal wrote: »
    Hows competition from The Coon been treating you?

The city is not South Park, so I am safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

absolutely. He got you from a to b safe and sound at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Always say thanks, always did.
    Nothing strange about my post. The driver thanked me that day. He said that if it weren't for my couragous intervention, the scum would have taken over the bus.

Lol wut ? :rolleyes:

Teacher, teacher, some bold boy's are....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

mikemac wrote: »
    Well do you?

It seems to be the done thing on Dublin Bus

But I don't remember it happening on Bus Eireann Galway.
    And I certainly don't remember it on inter city coaches from Galway, Limerick or Belfast.

But Dublin Bus drivers get thanks
    So do you thank your driver as you are getting off?

i always do

i dont live in dub- im a bogger/culchie according to you high flying dubs up there:rolleyes:

but i always do- my fella lives in wex and when we get the bus up we thank him/her everytime we get off

And we have to get 2 buses so its double the thanks:D (not inc the return which is 4)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i always do

i dont live in dub- im a bogger/culchie according to you high flying dubs up there:rolleyes:

but i always do- my fella lives in wex and when we get the bus up we thank him/her everytime we get off

And we have to get 2 buses so its double the thanks:D (not inc the return which is 4)

do you get one back, thats the question... if someone thanks me i.e: Thanks for the lift, ill retort with " no thank you, now give me money for petrol " :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

S.I.R wrote: »
    do you get one back, thats the question... if someone thanks me i.e: Thanks for the lift, ill retort with " no thank you, now give me money for petrol " :rolleyes:

No hun

Your following me- gonna apply for the "stalker tax" -

less the "following my posts" and more the "paying me for following my posts"

its like sex- except less "the pleasure" and more the "you paying me money" :D

PS- if its any consolation your kids are fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭PaulByrne'sBald

Always, manners cost nothing and when your dealing with the public all day a person who portrays some degree of courtesy will take the edge off the next persons ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Well as someone who uses the Galway City bus service on a regular basis,I would not condeme anyone who doesnt thank the bus driver after a journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

yep, i'd've always thanked the driver as i passed them getting off the bus.

live in nz now, and i notice it a lot more because in general, ya get off the middle of the bus here, and people will shout thanks up to the driver from the middle, it's just *not done* to not thank the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

When I say it most of the drivers say no problem or have a nice day/evening

The drivers on the 78a are actually all lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Do Omni-buses still have conductors these days?

FYP, and no. But they should have a Garda present at all times.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I always say thanks, more out of habit than anything

It's nice to brighten up someone's morning - especially since I am very much in the minority as most people just walk by

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I always say thanks. Even more so now since I was on a bus that crashed two weeks ago and the driver was super cool about and handled everything really well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Yup, its manners. I thank everyone like bus drivers, taxi men, shop assistants. I even say sorry if someone bumps into me on the street even tho it might not be my fault. Guess its just built in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

I always say thanks, more out of habit now than anything else. But it's nice to be nice. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

saying thank you excuse me sorry or holding door open for a hot chick don't cost anything....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gadfly

When I was driving commuter buses I used to get thanked all the time. At first I was a bit surprised, but then got used to it. It's nice though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Abigayle wrote: »
    FYP, and no. But they should have a Garda present at all times.

Not hyphenated, and I reckon they could do with a squad of coppers on some of the routes.

Get these boyos on the case (saw them in action following a match in Katowice a couple of years ago-Anto and his fellow snot nosed welfare sucklers wouldn't take too long about respecting public transport then).

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2149/2097288754_7e2920c286.jpg?v=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Thanking the bus driver is the least you can do. Every day they go to work they risk their lives.
    Not hyphenated

Bah, I know that :p

I was breaking it up to play with your quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

always thank the bus eierian/private bus drivers, usally thank the dublin and london bus drivers anytime i'm on them as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I don't do buses, but if I do - I'd probably give thought to the idea of thanking the bus driver. An auld "Chayres boss!" and a wink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Laducar

Well it doesn't cost anything to say a quick thank you on your way out the door, and it's nice to be nice

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Always, unless they've been rude. I say please and thank you when I'm giving my money/taking my ticket too. Santa is always watching you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

mikemac wrote: »

But Dublin Bus drivers get thanks
    So do you thank your driver as you are getting off?

id just ask him why he was there while i was getting off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

Why wouldn't you say "thanks"?

When I was in Vancouver people would shout thanks from the back of the buses as they were getting off (the exit door being in the middle of the bus).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I don't get the bus much. But I do leg it up the platform to bang on the window and say thanks to the LUAS driver every morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Laducar wrote: »
    Well it doesn't cost anything to say a quick thank you on your way out the door, and it's nice to be nice

It doesn't, but it costs you €1.50 to say hello on your way in the door!

Advertisement