Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

say thanks to your bus driver

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

I always do - a "thanks" costs me nothing but probably cheers up the driver.

That being said, when a driver does a terrible job (ie "changes" driver in Donnybrook when no replacement driver is there and delays you 10 minutes, speeds the whole journey except for slamming his brakes at the stop so your face goes into the seat in front of you etc) I feel like I should be able to say something pointing out what a jerk he is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Sure, I always say thanks unless he's incompetent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

If I have a non obtrusive journey then I will thank them. If I have a driver who gives me guff when I get on or a driver who speeds over speedbumps or a driver who sees a bit of messing/smoking down the back and doesn't even do the token gesture of warning them intercom to tell them to stop then I'll usually just give him a quiet '****-you' under my breath when I get off in a such as a way as he can almost be sure I said it but not quite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

i always do, unless its like a bus driver from Intermission "is it too early to use me card?"....."you know it is"........"how much is it to the 'barn?"..........."you know how much":D

also reminds me of something i read on "overheard in dublin":

"As i got off the bus i said thanks to the bus driver, he replied "ah its grand bud sure i was goin this way anyway""

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I like that.
    yeah I always say thanks.I would like a "your welcome" but thats not why I say it.Its just a bit of recognition of my amazing politeness:(.I agree with another user who said its the same as saying it in a shop and unless your an a.hole you will say thanks in a shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Sometimes I do feel sorry for the poor driver though. Last stop and 40 people line up to say thanks to him. poor bloke does look melted saying no problem 40 times in a row to each person. Sometimes a silent nod is worth more than a thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kelty

I always say thanks. Sometimes you hardly get any reply from the bus driver at all though which can be annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Would the people who say thanks want to have to acknowledge hundreds of people in a constant stream giving them an insincere thanks?

Personally it would drive me crackers. I'd much prefer to get on with the job and perhaps have a natural chat with the odd regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

humbert wrote: »
    Would the people who say thanks want to have to acknowledge hundreds of people in a constant stream giving them an insincere thanks?

Why is it insincere?:confused: I always say 'thanks' and I'm genuinely thankful to him for bringing me where I want to go.

Personally, I'd love loads of people acknowledging the work I did and being polite. Better than hundreds off people streaming off the bus ignoring you. I've worked in the service industry- nothing irked me more than people not acknowledging your existence or bothering to say a simple 'thank you'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I suppose the words themselves aren't sincere - customers are hardly genuinely grateful to a bus driver for simply doing his/her job as opposed to dropping them off in the wrong place. :)

But the gesture is sincere. I say "thanks" or "goodbye" or both to bus drivers out of a want to be pleasant and courteous. If they're being right cuntbags I won't bother but when they're pleasant, I think it's fair to be pleasant back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Dudess wrote: »
    I suppose the words themselves aren't sincere - customers are hardly genuinely grateful to a bus driver for simply doing his/her job as opposed to dropping them off in the wrong place. :)

But the gesture is sincere. I say "thanks" or "goodbye" or both to bus drivers out of a want to be pleasant and courteous. If they're being right cuntbags I won't bother but when they're pleasant, I think it's fair to be pleasant back.

Ah Dudess, you always put things much more eloquently than me! :p:)

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant, the gesture itself is sincere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Hail to the busdriver, busdriver, busdriver.

Hail to the busdrivin' busdrivin' man.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I never like to wake them when they're sleeping it off, so I leave em a note when I'm shuffling to the door.

This is a complete pack of lies as I haven't been on a bus since horses used to pull em.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I have yet to see a single Nigerian thank a bus driver unless the driver is black. Honest to god truth. Started paying attention to this when a nigerian use to be on the same bus I use to get and we got off the same stop. White most likely Irish driver the guy wouldnt open his mouth - Black guy he would. After that I started paying more attention to Nigerian persons in general and yet to see one thank a white driver. I think it odd as I thank whoever is driving. Seems like a them and us thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

redout wrote: »
    I have yet to see a single Nigerian thank a bus driver unless the driver is black. Honest to god truth. Started paying attention to this when a nigerian use to be on the same bus I use to get and we got off the same stop. White most likely Irish driver the guy wouldnt open his mouth - Black guy he would. After that I started paying more attention to Nigerian persons in general and yet to see one thank a white driver. I think it odd as I thank whoever is driving. Seems like a them and us thing.

I've noticed this myself. Whenever a 'Nigerian' gets off a bus driven by a white guy instead of saying 'thanks' they invariably go "Hallo Sah, I am Prince Joe Eboh heir to the Throne of Nigerah. Due to civil unrest in mah homeland I was forced to flee my country with only this Tesco bag containing USD$2million. If you will be so kind as to present me the keys to ya boos I wahl be happy to transfer the funds to your bank akkant."

Happens 100% of the time without fail (5 times so far). A simple 'thanks' would have sufficed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

How do you know they're Nigerian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Pinky Pixie

I think everyone has the right to be nice or not if the case maybe. I always say thank you through common courtesy:). Most of the time I get a "no prob love" back :p. To me it's the same as saying thanks in a shop or in a restaurant. I don't think we should begruge someone who doesn't as they might be having a rubbish day. Same way if I said thanks and got no response I wouldn't be annoyed at the non response :)!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Haaaaiiiillll to the bus driver,bus driver,bus driver!
    Haaaaiiillll to the bus driver, bus driver man!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I went out into the park and lifted up their skirt ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

What happend to me was the bus driver replied:"its alright,I was coming this way anyway"

B@stard most have been reading overheard in Dublin:mad:

Manners cost you nothing.Either does a simple "your welcome":mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭miaowsky

I generally do say thanks to the bus driver, it's routine now I guess.
    Altho this one time on the 11 as I was waiting for the bus to pull into the stop my phone rang and I was chatting to my mate and then got got off the bus and didn't say anything to the driver as I was mid-conversation and didn't really think about saying thanks/cheers and he roared after me "you're welcome!" Since then I've made a point of saying thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

I always do. Doesn't cost you anything.

All you dubs would consider me a culchie though:rolleyes: You hear it a lot more often on our buses I think. It's actually rather looked down on not to thank the driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Lilyblue

I always say please and thank you. Manners cost nothing :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I always say thanks or cheers. It's a habit now, I never not say it. (Excellent grammar there...)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ye i thank dudes on buses and stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I'd thank the pilot after landed while I was leaving the plane if only I wasn't to be mistaken for a terrorist.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I usually thank the bus driver unless they act the wanker to somebody for no good reason, in which case a dirty look is all they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭steod

I always say thanks when getting off the bus and getting out of a taxi. Sure its the natural thing to thank someone who just gave you a lift regardless if they are getting paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Or single?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

orestes wrote: »
    Sure, manners cost nothing

New €12 tax announced on manners in the recent Budget.

Advertisement