Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

say thanks to your bus driver

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

steod wrote: »
    I always say thanks when getting off the bus and getting out of a taxi. Sure its the natural thing to thank someone who just gave you a lift regardless if they are getting paid for it.
    i always tell my taxi driver to drive safely when i get out. its not that theyre bad drivers. except for that one eejit who talked on his mobile and nearly got me into an accident a couple years ago - so i stiffed him on the fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I thank everybody I deal with. It was the way I was raised. Its the way I raise my kids. If they have manners I thank them if they are very nice I am very nice back. If they are rude I give a simple thanks and goodbye.

Thank you! :D

I always say thanks, and they usually reply with a nice 'cheers, see ya'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Yep I always say thanks to the Bus driver,my 9 yr old son does the same so it looks like it might continue for another generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Say it everytime.Just a habit at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I noticed at least 3 of my fellow passengers saying "thanks" to the bus-driver earlier and he didn't reply to any of them, or to me.
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

meh, a bus driver never once thanked me for keeping him in a job

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

What happend to me was the bus driver replied:"its alright,I was coming this way anyway"

B@stard most have been reading overheard in Dublin:mad:

Manners cost you nothing.Either does a simple "your welcome":mad:

I'd find that funny myself to be fair, certainly wouldn't be upset about it anyway. Then again I spose it's all in the delivery.

I always say thanks, while I might not always get a response (can't respond to everyone) I think it's appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Yep I do...maybe its because I'm from the good ol country but the drivers aren't robots ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

Am living in Denmark at the moment and have not seen anyone ever thank the bus drivers. Anytime I have said thanks I havn't gotten a reply... Am not sure if they are just too suprised to reply or if they are just an ignorant shower of w*nkers...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

twanda wrote: »
    Am living in Denmark at the moment and have not seen anyone ever thank the bus drivers. Anytime I have said thanks I havn't gotten a reply... Am not sure if they are just too suprised to reply or if they are just an ignorant shower of w*nkers...:rolleyes:

Probably the former. I'd be the same myself if someone thanked me for something that i didn't expect to be thanked for. Can leave you speechless sometimes i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

mikemac wrote: »
    So do you thank your driver as you are getting off?
    Of course, it's the least they deserve if they're going to let you have a **** on the bus.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

orestes wrote: »
    Sure, manners cost nothing
    It wouldn't surprise me if Cowen stuck some tax on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Its always nice to be nice - all that good karma youre spreading around by saying thanks to the bus driver will be repaid back at some stage:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I always thank them, they'll put up with enough **** off me when they drop me home later that night!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NibNib

I always thank the drivers. And if I get a smile back, it brightens my day too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

"As i got off the bus i said thanks to the bus driver, he replied "ah its grand bud sure i was goin this way anyway""

:D
    Ha ha thats brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Whenever I got off the bus I thanked the driver, getting me pretty much home for 1.60, can't go wrong. I'd feel bad if I didn't say thanks :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭petrochemical

Used to thank bus drivers, but have had so many bad experiences with them that i stopped

1. One closed the doors on me when I was halfway through because he was impatient to leave, nearly crushed me.
    2. Numerous times I've just arrived as they're taking off from the terminus. They would be stuck in traffic, having not moved, and refused to open the door when I knock. Not sound.
    3. Numerous times they've driven past me at the bus stop, for their own amusement. I've seen them do it to others while I was on the bus too.
    4. On scumbag routes they let people smoke, take heroin, drink, shout abuse, vandalise and do nothing about it except that lame announcement that "Smoking is illegal on all buses". Has anyone ever been prosecuted for that? One guy said, when I told him they were shooting up upstairs, "What do you want me to do about it?" Scum.

Numerous other examples.

So to summarise, bus drivers are scum, fukc em and their **** job, losers.

Used to thank bus drivers, but have had so many bad experiences with them that i stopped

One guy said, when I told him they were shooting up upstairs, "What do you want me to do about it?" Scum.

Numerous other examples.

In fairness, what could he have actually done that you couldn't?

Go on up and give out to them, then get jabbed by the junkie?
    Call the police?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

2. Numerous times I've just arrived as they're taking off from the terminus. They would be stuck in traffic, having not moved, and refused to open the door when I knock. Not sound.
    No real sympathy with this one and it's something I'd consider typically Irish. If you want to get on the bus be at the stop BEFORE it passes, not AFTER. It's quite a simple arrangement.

I always laugh when I look down from upstairs and see people on the street pulling faces of disbelief when the bus driver doesn't open for them 30 seconds and 15-20 yards past the designated stop. To whom it may concern, yis must feel very special about yourselves to expect such exceptional treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I will, unless the driver was a prick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

1. One closed the doors on me when I was halfway through because he was impatient to leave, nearly crushed me.

Could that just be human error ? You were leaving the bus slower than the driver thought and hit the button too soon ? Something like that ?

The bus doors are not allowed be open unless the bus is stopped at a bus stop or unless there's an emergency. Some Most bus drivers (I've seen) are nice and risk their job by opening the doors at traffic lights to let people on.
    3. Numerous times they've driven past me at the bus stop, for their own amusement. I've seen them do it to others while I was on the bus too.

Are you suggesting that there's bus drivers who work for CIE that will drive past you just for shits and giggles ?
    4. On scumbag routes they let people smoke, take heroin, drink, shout abuse,
    vandalise and do nothing about it except that lame announcement that "Smoking is illegal on all buses". Has anyone ever been prosecuted for that? One guy said, when I told him they were shooting up upstairs, "What do you want me to do about it?" Scum.

Hang on.
    "scumbag routes" ?

Hang on.
    They "let people smoke and take heroin" ? As in , the driver gives express permission to someone to take heroin on a bus ?
    (Hang on, is this all on a Dublin Bus or some magical "scumbag" heroin party bus ?)

Hang on.
    Do you think the bus driver is going to prosecute someone smoking on a bus ?

The drivers aren't allowed leave their cab. The correct procedure (I assume) would be to radio to the nearest CIE garage to divert the bus to a Garda station or have the Gardai meet him in transit somewhere - would you like to be inconvenienced for an hour while he tried to get a Garda onto the bus to apprehend the "scumbag" ?

Numerous other examples.

Oh yes. ALL other times. Misc.

Bus drivers are scum ? Every person driving a bus in this country is scum ? They're losers because they do an incredibly difficult job while also getting shafted by their employer ?

So to "summarise" -
    there's scumbag routes ,
    there's scumbags shooting up and smoking (this is the driver's fault)
    the bus driver is a scumbag also because he's implicit in this conspiracy where he wants you to not get on the bus so he can have a laugh and he's also pissing himself laughing because he's allowing people to take heroin.

This is all the bus driver's fault. He's a scumbag. Society and the state and government of the day bare no responsibility for the actions of the individual and it's all down to the bus driver who sits on a rotten shakey seat all day, doesn't have an exact time he'll clock off at because traffic is so unpredictable, has to put up with people hurling abuse at him, doesn't know if he'll still have a job in a month and all of society's nasty elements are his fault so he's to have the burden of everyone else's behaviour on his head.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0112/1231515549442.html
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0111/bus.html
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7822821.stm

(btw, that driver won't be getting compo because he left his cab but he's still a scumbag , you know that , I know that, we all know that, even the heroin user knows that it's all the driver's fault cause he's the scumbag . Not us. ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that there's bus drivers who work for CIE that will drive past you just for shits and giggles ?

I had one just this Tuesday morning who drove right by 4 people at a particular stop.

The bus was 90% empty and there's' no way in hell he didn't see them as there was a clear day with, no traffic and clean line of sight and they were even standing right out at the kerb. They were were even thumbing and waving at him as clear as day.

It was one of damnest things I've ever seen from a bus driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

why would ya say thanks there normally just sour *************

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I always say thank you! It'd just be rude not to. The fact that they're being paid to drive is no excuse not to thank them. Manners cost nothing and it's nice to be nice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    I had one just this Tuesday morning who drove right by 4 people at a particular stop.

The bus was 90% empty and there's' no way in hell he didn't see them as there was a clear day with, no traffic and clean line of sight and they were even standing right out at the kerb. They were were even thumbing and waving at him as clear as day.

It was one of damnest things I've ever seen from a bus driver.

If this happened, why didn't yea report the driver?
    Might you have been on the bus? Did yea not think to pop down and ask the driver why he didn't stop? There are times when the drivers are told to "come in special" as the bus is either running way too far behind time they basically run the bus directly in without picking up more passengers - you can thank the gob****es who "plan" the timetable as they hardly revise it to take into account traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

In all my time getting buses, I'd say I've come across 2 to 3 drivers who where arses, but to be honest, yea gotta look at what they gotta deal with day in and day out around the city. One scumbag/wine-o passenger could easily put a driver in a ****e mood.

I'm fairly sure that folks on this thread have had off days which they (regrettably) have vented in some way at a customer or fellow-employee at work...we are all but human at the end of the day folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Press the emergency button/lever on the outside and hop on yourself, just tell them to fuck off if they say anything. Also, if they won't open the doors for you in heavy traffic, you're near to your stop and/or you just want to get off and cba waiting for them to take 30 minutes to drive another 100 feet - press the emergency button/lever on the inside or pull the doors open, again telling them to fuck off if they open their mouth.

As much as I have manners to say thanks when I get off a bus, people need to equally tell drivers to fuck off when they're being a prick about things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

mikemac wrote: »
    Well do you?

It seems to be the done thing on Dublin Bus

But I don't remember it happening on Bus Eireann Galway.
    And I certainly don't remember it on inter city coaches from Galway, Limerick or Belfast.

But Dublin Bus drivers get thanks
    So do you thank your driver as you are getting off?

Of course I do, they're driving you somewhere. I thank my mates when they give me a lift somewhere! It's basic manners

Advertisement