Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

say thanks to your bus driver

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

JangoFett wrote: »
    Of course I do, they're driving you somewhere. I thank my mates when they give me a lift somewhere! It's basic manners

Although one is getting paid to do it and paid again by you, the other isnt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I say thank you to the bus driver who brings me where I need to go, to the waitress who brings me the food I want, the hairdresser who makes me feel good, the till person who gives me my change, the guy who makes me my coffee in the morning that wakes me up and gives me heart for the day with its deliciousness....I say thank you to everyone because they make my life better and a nicer one to live. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

Deepsense wrote: »
    I say thank you to the bus driver who brings me where I need to go, to the waitress who brings me the food I want, the hairdresser who makes me feel good, the till person who gives me my change, the guy who makes me my coffee in the morning that wakes me up and gives me heart for the day with its deliciousness....I say thank you to everyone because they make my life better and a nicer one to live. :)

I'll have some of that coffee please. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Always do. Dublin Bus or any other bus.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    Although one is getting paid to do it and paid again by you, the other isnt

Ever consider changing your user name to Ray_of_Sunshine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

I don't say thanks because society says I gotta. I say thanks when somebody deserves a thanks. When somebody really puts forth an effort, they deserve a little something extra. But this thanking automatically, that ****'s for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doin their job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Yes I usually say thanks unless there's loads of people getting off and I'm listening to my ipod. Well,not if he's a prick either.

On a side note,where are all the wimmin bus drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    No real sympathy with this one and it's something I'd consider typically Irish. If you want to get on the bus be at the stop BEFORE it passes, not AFTER. It's quite a simple arrangement.

I always laugh when I look down from upstairs and see people on the street pulling faces of disbelief when the bus driver doesn't open for them 30 seconds and 15-20 yards past the designated stop. To whom it may concern, yis must feel very special about yourselves to expect such exceptional treatment?

In fairness I've seen way too many bus drivers quickly pull off from a bus stop when they see somebody running towards a bus stop. I've seen it way too many times to think that they just haven't seen the person running.

Along the 84 bus route, buses are few and far between, and they are never on time; either early or late. I don't think it should be such a big deal for drivers to open the doors when they are stopped at a traffic light which is about 10 metres away from the bus stop.

I do always thank the driver though. Unless they've been a d***, which has only happened the odd time. Once a new driver let me on the 10 for free, in exchange for me telling him the bus route :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Deepsense wrote: »

The hairdresser who makes you feel good?
    That's what they're calling them nowadays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

orestes wrote: »
    Sure, manners cost nothing

And they repay you a thousand times. The best investment that can be made.

WYK

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mikemac wrote: »
    Well do you?

It seems to be the done thing on Dublin Bus

But I don't remember it happening on Bus Eireann Galway.
    And I certainly don't remember it on inter city coaches from Galway, Limerick or Belfast.

But Dublin Bus drivers get thanks
    So do you thank your driver as you are getting off?
    yes
    and when you're abroad it really confuses drivers

and it confuses foreigners here, they just can't figure out why we thank the driver

You can just imagine Stephen Fry saying "After waiting for 45 minutes for a bus in the rain and then having to stand all the way what do people from Dublin do when alighting ? They thank the driver ? Why they do this , nobody knows but isn't it just the nicest thing. "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

yes

and it confuses foreigners here, they just can't figure out why we thank the driver

Thanks for not running me over. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

I've a mate, black as my ex-mother in laws heart who speaks with a Dublin accent - its hilarious.

Racist...

...sorry just thought I'd make a stab at being PC once in a while, carry on.
    Used to thank bus drivers, but have had so many bad experiences with them that i stopped

1. One closed the doors on me when I was halfway through because he was impatient to leave, nearly crushed me.
    2. Numerous times I've just arrived as they're taking off from the terminus. They would be stuck in traffic, having not moved, and refused to open the door when I knock. Not sound.
    3. Numerous times they've driven past me at the bus stop, for their own amusement. I've seen them do it to others while I was on the bus too.
    4. On scumbag routes they let people smoke, take heroin, drink, shout abuse, vandalise and do nothing about it except that lame announcement that "Smoking is illegal on all buses". Has anyone ever been prosecuted for that? One guy said, when I told him they were shooting up upstairs, "What do you want me to do about it?" Scum.

Numerous other examples.

So to summarise, bus drivers are scum, fukc em and their **** job, losers.

Yes, I regularly confront heroin addicts for €25k a year.

"Scumbag routes" bet you sit on the top deck cos it reminds you of your ivory tower ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

segaBOY wrote: »
    Racist...

...sorry just thought I'd make a stab at being PC once in a while

Racist? Is Dublin STILL that sad? I thought the "Roy Chubby Brown, Dublin Taximan" bloke had died off with the dodo. Sadly, it appears not.

So many culchies in Dublin, most of them FROM Dublin.

Culchie = thick f"cker who never travels & if he does, he never opens his mind
    (in my opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

I always try to thank them, had some bad moments when I had sore throats though, pretty lady infront or behind would always laugh at me when I squeeked out a "thanks" or "cheers".

Hell once I woke up half of the 7am Luas when the driver waited a good 40 seconds for me at sandyford while I was getting my ticket. I shouted thanks from the middle of the tram up to him and saw about 9 people jump:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Racist? Is Dublin STILL that sad? I thought the "Roy Chubby Brown, Dublin Taximan" bloke had died off with the dodo. Sadly, it appears not.

So many culchies in Dublin, most of them FROM Dublin.

Culchie = thick f"cker who never travels & if he does, he never opens his mind
    (in my opinion)

Thanks for appreciating my attempt at a joke, shall stick to the GAA ones from now on being the thick f"cker that I am, traveling to and from dublin, I'm such a b@stard.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

wyk wrote: »
    And they repay you a thousand times. The best investment that can be made.

WYK

This is nonsense, a nice idea, but nonsense.
    Nehaxak wrote: »
    Press the emergency button/lever on the outside and hop on yourself, just tell them to fuck off if they say anything. Also, if they won't open the doors for you in heavy traffic, you're near to your stop and/or you just want to get off and cba waiting for them to take 30 minutes to drive another 100 feet - press the emergency button/lever on the inside or pull the doors open, again telling them to fuck off if they open their mouth.

As much as I have manners to say thanks when I get off a bus, people need to equally tell drivers to fuck off when they're being a prick about things.

There are bus stops for a reason. Do you expect them to stop outside your house and walk you to your door too?

I usually do thank the bus driver (I don't think I'll bother my arse with this unofficial strike going on).
    I also note that a lot of people thank the bus driver but I haven't once witnessed anyone thank the guys that hand out the metro/herald am, they just grab it disdainfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

OP, people in Galway do say thanks. More so than in Dublin I would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I won't be saying thanks to those work-shy w*nkers anymore after todays fiasco. None of the express buses were running in Lucan, which completely overwhelmed the normal 25A service.

I hope the Metro prints the name and address of the one driver in Harristown who started all this. :mad: The strike will be brought to a swift end then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

they arent allowed to stop in traffic to pick people up. they are not allowed to let people on or off 10 or 20 feet before or after the stop. they are not allowed to do these things becaue of what happened on the quays there a few years back where a bunch of people got killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

DrumSteve wrote: »
    they arent allowed to stop in traffic to pick people up. they are not allowed to let people on or off 10 or 20 feet before or after the stop. they are not allowed to do these things becaue of what happened on the quays there a few years back where a bunch of people got killed.

Nothing to do with that, they were never allowed to do it long before that happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Jip wrote: »
    Nothing to do with that, they were never allowed to do it long before that happened.

it had a lot to do with that actually. most drivers before that would stop and pick you up if you were near the stop. talking with friends of mine who work for DB after that they said there was a fairly big clampdown on picking up anyone or dropping them off not near the stop after that incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Always thank my bus driver. Costs nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Of course providing one could find a bus with a driver to thank.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

the bus drivers can go fick themselves

i will never say thank you again, to them unless it is with a sledgehammer between the eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

yes

When in New York we were getting a bus from the Port Authority Bus Terminal to Woodbury. Said thanks to the driver while getting off and I think it made her day!

I saw 2 people sprinting after a bus one morning on my way to work. He was pulled in at a bus stop. There were people getting on; once all the passengers were on the people running for the bus were about 10 - 20 metres away, but he shut the doors and took off. B*****d!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I won't be saying thanks to those work-shy w*nkers anymore after todays fiasco. None of the express buses were running in Lucan, which completely overwhelmed the normal 25A service.

I hope the Metro prints the name and address of the one driver in Harristown who started all this. :mad: The strike will be brought to a swift end then.

Typical attidude of a [EMAIL="w@nker"]w@nker[/EMAIL] this is! It is a shame the union did not support them more its whats badly needed and if you really understood the problems in this country you would thank them for standing up for there rights and there kids rights

But oh no.. If it effects me they can fcuk off. Why dont people say what the hell is management doing to the workers to cause this??? It just stuns me the poor attidude

and its usually the [EMAIL="w@nkers"]w@nkers[/EMAIL] that stand up pissed in a pub to the national anthum that complain the most. Think about a complainer. You will see I am right!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Typical attidude of a [EMAIL="w@nker"]w@nker[/EMAIL] this is!

Banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

The-Rigger wrote: »
    There are bus stops for a reason. Do you expect them to stop outside your house and walk you to your door too?

Yes ?

...no but really, it's a matter of good manners and common deceny. If you're stuck there not moving in traffic for the last 20 minutes or so and people ask to get off the bus so they can walk instead - you should have the decency to oblige and let them off, not be a prick about it and start quoting rules blah blah bus stop blah blah - just stfu and open the doors for them.

As for being stopped in traffic AND being at the bus stop but just closed the doors yet there are people knocking on the door to be let on (you're not moving away remember) - being an ignorant prick of a driver and just ignoring them or waving them away because the doors are closed ?? No, people should press the button/pull the lever and let themselves on or off as they please if the driver is being a cnut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

The-Rigger wrote: »
    This is nonsense, a nice idea, but nonsense.

It's called Karma, pay it forward, whatever.

How you treat others reflects upon you. EVERY person you meet is a bridge. The less bridges you burn, the more places you can go. If you burn your bridges, I can understand how you would think it's nonsense. Whether you know it or not, everyone keeps a mental note of every wrong and ever good that's been done to them, no matter how small, and people have a long memory.

Don't take my word for it, you'll live it yourself one way or the other depending on the choices you make and have made.

WYK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Yes ?

...no but really, it's a matter of good manners and common deceny. If you're stuck there not moving in traffic for the last 20 minutes or so and people ask to get off the bus so they can walk instead - you should have the decency to oblige and let them off, not be a prick about it and start quoting rules blah blah bus stop blah blah - just stfu and open the doors for them.

The bus drivers can't let people off for insurance reasons or something I think. Once, I asked a driver if he could let me off because, like the point you made, we were in traffic and it would have been faster for me to walk. He said he couldn't in case I tripped or something and hurt myself. Because I wasn't at a bus stop the injury would become Dublin Bus' fault and I could sue.

Advertisement