Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

say thanks to your bus driver

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I also note that a lot of people thank the bus driver but I haven't once witnessed anyone thank the guys that hand out the metro/herald am, they just grab it disdainfully.

I always thank the Metro people.
    I won't be saying thanks to those work-shy w*nkers anymore after todays fiasco. None of the express buses were running in Lucan, which completely overwhelmed the normal 25A service.
    +1

I've always said thanks getting off buses, and in general been polite to bus drivers - not any more, on any of the routes that were cancelled this week. I'll be as ignorant as I can without being abusive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Used to thank bus drivers, but have had so many bad experiences with them that i stopped

1. One closed the doors on me when I was halfway through because he was impatient to leave, nearly crushed me.
    2. Numerous times I've just arrived as they're taking off from the terminus. They would be stuck in traffic, having not moved, and refused to open the door when I knock. Not sound.
    3. Numerous times they've driven past me at the bus stop, for their own amusement. I've seen them do it to others while I was on the bus too.
    4. On scumbag routes they let people smoke, take heroin, drink, shout abuse, vandalise and do nothing about it except that lame announcement that "Smoking is illegal on all buses". Has anyone ever been prosecuted for that? One guy said, when I told him they were shooting up upstairs, "What do you want me to do about it?" Scum.

Numerous other examples.

So to summarise, bus drivers are scum, fukc em and their **** job, losers.

Well, if you were a lone bus driver, many minutes away from any help and people were behaving in an antisocial manner on board, why would you risk your life to stop them, for the pittance they get paid?

And for some time now it has been the passengers responsibilty to have a ticket and behave, not the drivers, so screw scumbag passengers.

If a driver drives past you at a stop it could be from numerous reasons, like the bus is full, I don't know, that particular guy could be a scumbag, who knows? Take the reg of the bus and ring in a complaint, you'll get no where giving out here.

Drivers are not allowed to open their doors to admit a passenger anywhere but at an authorised bus stop, some do, some also let you out when stopped in traffic, but by and large it's not permitted as if you injure yourself you can claim against CIE, and many have, so that's why bus stop locations are chosen and stuck to, if you cannot make it to a legitimate bus stop at the appropriate time, that's your bloody problem.

And as for your first point of a driver nearly crushing you in a door, in all the time I used public transport that has never ever happened to me, and I have only ever seen dumb ass students or hikers with big back packs have trouble with doors.
    I bet this particular incident, if true, is in fact isolated and, as with the bulk of your complaints, most of your bus journeys have been, if not pleasant, are at least uneventful.

What a whiner....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Tinchy

yea i always do, just good manners :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Not anymore I don't

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

MOH wrote: »

I've always said thanks getting off buses, and in general been polite to bus drivers - not any more, on any of the routes that were cancelled this week. I'll be as ignorant as I can without being abusive.

Unless you have ever been brave enough to cross a picket I wouldn't be too hard on the drivers who didn't drive during the unofficial dispute, it was the responsibility of a core group of agitators who highjacked proper labour dispute channels to twist the arms of their union and employers, the drivers really had little choice but to not cross the picket, otherwise they may have had a world of trouble from the ringleaders, in effect the bunch of bullies who started this unofficial dispute.

So give the driver a break, will you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ShineadyRyan

I live in Co. Galway and need the bus to get into the city everyday. I always say thank you when Im getting off at my stop. It's only common manners but I think alot of people have lost those simple manners. Please and Thank You doesn't cost a thing.:)

Yeah, it's a great system that gets results, "He wronged me so I'm going to be an as*h*le to him, ha, that'll learn him", except it doesn't and all it does is harden a drivers attitudes towards rude little punks.
    Good manners cost nothing as the above poster quite rightly pointed out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

DrumSteve wrote: »
    they arent allowed to stop in traffic to pick people up. they are not allowed to let people on or off 10 or 20 feet before or after the stop. they are not allowed to do these things becaue of what happened on the quays there a few years back where a bunch of people got killed.
    +1
    Jip wrote: »
    Nothing to do with that, they were never allowed to do it long before that happened.
    :o:o:eek::o:o

& one of the reasons they were not allowed/supposed to do it BEFORE the accident on the Quays was to REDUCE the risk of passengers etc getting hurt jumping on and off at the wrong places

The other reason being, that if everyone could get on and off where they liked , the bus would take forever to get you where you were going and scheduling would be impossible! :eek:

The human brain is a wonderful thing if used correctly!
    failing that:
    if used at all, is a pretty good start!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

A thought occurs reading through this.

The number of people saying they thank bus drivers because manners costs nothing etc.............. (I thank them myself)

It would also cost nothing for the driver to wait a few seconds when they see someone running for the bus.

With the letting people off at lights and that, fair enough if it's against the rules, it's against the rules. I have seen a few people going up and asking to be let off in a bit of a threatening manner and the driver obliges. Good manners costs nothing, but threatening behaviour can let you get your own way.

I've had a few run ins with drivers who were complete a$$holes and others who were brilliant. It's nice to be nice, on both sides.

Originally Posted by Mr.Lizard
    No real sympathy with this one and it's something I'd consider typically Irish. If you want to get on the bus be at the stop BEFORE it passes, not AFTER. It's quite a simple arrangement.

It would be a lot simpler if the buses arrived at the times on the time table, if the times online weren't different to the times on the bus stop itself, and if dublin bus didn't play this game of "guess what time the bus reaches your stop" by only showing the times when the bus begins it's journey/leaves the terminus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭veryangryman

mikemac wrote: »
    Well do you?

It seems to be the done thing on Dublin Bus

But I don't remember it happening on Bus Eireann Galway.
    And I certainly don't remember it on inter city coaches from Galway, Limerick or Belfast.

But Dublin Bus drivers get thanks
    So do you thank your driver as you are getting off?

Alot of Galway people, drivers and non-drivers are very arrogant ive found. And courteousy is not one of their trademarks. Incidentally, the drivers themselves can be quite rude at times. Rahoon bus anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

DrumSteve wrote: »
    they arent allowed to stop in traffic to pick people up. they are not allowed to let people on or off 10 or 20 feet before or after the stop. they are not allowed to do these things becaue of what happened on the quays there a few years back where a bunch of people got killed.

Erm, just a quick note, the accident didnt happen coz he was letting people on/off before the stop. They think it was a mechanical fault.

I thank bus drivers. Some of them are compete arseh*les tho. Ive gotten squashed in the door, and the driver didnt apologise. Ive had buses pass my stop while Im standing there. Ive seen drivers generally be pr!cks to people. Ive also seen some sound ones.

I always say thanks, even on the train;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I had a school bus driver. His name was derek and he was a c**t. Never liked the man and no-one else did. When i was a newbie to the bus, i didnt know the man and decided to say hi as i was collected from my stop in the morning. Well damn him, he told me to get in and cut all the sweet talk as he has a school round to do. I never said hi to him again, lets jus say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

I had a school bus driver. His name was derek and he was a c**t. Never liked the man and no-one else did. When i was a newbie to the bus, i didnt know the man and decided to say hi as i was collected from my stop in the morning. Well damn him, he told me to get in and cut all the sweet talk as he has a school round to do. I never said hi to him again, lets jus say.

Your own fault for coming onto him to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I always say thanks as I get off the bus. It's nice to be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Every time I get off a bus, it's just polite. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Yes, I always thank the bus driver, pilot, prostitute, taxi driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

In fairness, what could he have actually done that you couldn't?

Go on up and give out to them, then get jabbed by the junkie?
    Call the police?

Yes, call the police.

I happen to know a bus driver (whom I don't like) and apparently he calls the police regularly. He phones to his garage, and he drives fairly slow, until the police arrive. They get on the bus, take the sc*mbag (not the bus driver, the other one) and arrest him, while the bus driver drives off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

Credit where credit's due, I had to run for the bus a far distance the other day and was not going to make the stop. The bus driver pulled up beside me (a few yards from the stop) so I could hop on.

Much obliged.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Credit where credit's due, I had to run for the bus a far distance the other day and was not going to make the stop. The bus driver pulled up beside me (a few yards from the stop) so I could hop on.

Much obliged.
    Why don't they do this more often the bastards. It's not that much effort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

I was on the bus from Dublin to Belfast recently and the driver introduced himself at the start and wished us all a pleasant journey. Whenever anyone got off along the way, he shook their hand. At the end of the journey, a few people hung around to chat with him. It was probably the nicest journey I've ever had on a bus and when I got off, I made sure to give him the most sincere thank-you I could.

Long live Johnathon the Bus Driver!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I was on the bus from Dublin to Belfast recently and the driver introduced himself at the start and wished us all a pleasant journey. Whenever anyone got off along the way, he shook their hand. At the end of the journey, a few people hung around to chat with him. It was probably the nicest journey I've ever had on a bus and when I got off, I made sure to give him the most sincere thank-you I could.

It wasn't a foreign guy with a bluetooth in his ear was it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Sounds like he wants to be a pilot.
    As long as he doesn't
    start talking about turbulence i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

Terry wrote: »
    Got a bus into town the other night.
    Was getting off and said thanks.
    No problem, bud was the reply from the black driver.
    Proper Dublin accent too.
    I'd say the poor ****er gets a lot of grief until he opens his mouth.

I hope those **** read f-u-c-k terry !!! These things can be mistaken !!

Vid Link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

I have much experience on both Dublin and Bus Eireann bus's. 99.99% of the time I thank the Dublin Bus driver but Bus Eireann is a different kettle of badgers.

You can come across some real hardcore cun7s on them bus's and I have. Some not letting me bring my backpack on (put it in the hold), some resembling the Spanish inquisition in relation to a perfectly valid college ID. To put a percentile on it I'd say 89.99% of Bus Eireann drivers are spot on but all I can say is thank Volkswagon Hitler I have a car now.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Alwas do but would give them a lot more thanks if they would drop me off at my doorstep.:D
    We did once, it was on a new years eve and it was one of those small yellow ones, the driver was unfamiliar with the route and asked us for directions, there were about 10 of us and got him to go into housing estates down really narrow roads! I think he copped on after a while but was having a laugh with us.

I always say thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

i do most of the time unless they're driving like maniacs, they should be doing their job right and driving safely, and i wouldnt thank a chef for burning my dinner or a dry cleaner for staining my dress.. so you get the point! although i dont think they care if they're thanked or not tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

~me~ wrote: »
    i do most of the time unless they're driving like maniacs, they should be doing their job right and driving safely, and i wouldnt thank a chef for burning my dinner or a dry cleaner for staining my dress.. so you get the point! although i dont think they care if they're thanked or not tbh.

agreed, credit where credit is due. if a bus driver isn't being an arse [as mentioned above, its usually bus eireann] or a taxi driver is polite an knows where he's going, then its a thanks, or in the taxi's case a tip. but its always relevant to their performance. if a nice waiter/waitress serves you, they get thanked, if they aren't nice, the dont. why should busses be different?

funny, the dart drivers never get thanked, or at least i've never seen it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭wicklowgal

Yep always thank the bus driver.

However, I've a bit of a bone to pick with them - many of them don't acknowledge it! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

wicklowgal wrote: »
    Yep always thank the bus driver.

However, I've a bit of a bone to pick with them - many of them don't acknowledge it! :mad:

Unfortunately.

With buses in dublin , you can't always have everything you want.

And yes I do say thank you, whenever i need to use public transport instead of car.

Advertisement