Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day off for Easter

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

grahamo wrote: »
    I have worked in the engineering industry all my working life. Every company I have worked in gave workers 3 "floating days" or "company days or whatever you want to call them. These could be taken anytime. For instance, you could take one the day your car had to go for an NCT or a service.

perhaps they are confusing them with the irish term for them... "sickies" :)

I worked in several companies over the years and yes, not all gave these floating days. they were a perk that I was very happy to receive whenever i got them and they came in very useful. queuing to put my name down on a house, needed a day off work or I would have missed my chance, given, no worries. kitchen flooded from a leak, had to wait for a plumber, rang in, given , no problem. sure it happens to everyone. I did work in one place however, that forced me to save 5 days holidays for christmas because the bosses didnt want to come in ( i argued that one and made it clear that I would happily work stephen's day and that I had no intention of saving my holidays for it. in the end they gave the company the day off rather than cancel their holidays - bosses were married to each other and didnt trust anyone to open up the business by themselves). Anyway, I had to go to court as a witness, i gave plenty of notice but I had no holidays left.. so the company docked me a days wages for doing my civic duty...gits.

Never had a "company day" but I can see where the idea is a good one. heres a calendar day, you can take your company day within a month of the date provided.

handy for emergencies. More companies should do that.

ps: sectors were:
    financial services : got emergency days (3 per year)
    IT (financial services): yes: 3 per year
    IT (support): nope
    IT (payroll services): yep (2 per year)
    IT (IT services): yep 3 per year
    IT (IT services): nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Tazdedub wrote: »
    I can understand it, the way some people are going on about the public service, its seems people are blaming them for the problem the country is in. There was one caller on there who was pretty bad.

I look at it this way if say a company in the private sector says that 23rd of april is a company day and closes for that day should everyone ring up liveline saying that a company in the private sector has closed for the day but my company hasnt.

Like I said everyone needs to stop whinging and get start getting angry at the government, they are the ones that got the country into this mess and are not doing anything to fix it, thats where everyones anger should be going.

the ps is largely to blame for the current mess , the reason our class sizes are so big is due to the fact that the majority of expenditure on education goes towards teachers wages as opposed to actual buildings
    the reason we have such a shortage of beds in our hospitals is due to the fact that so much of expenditure on health goes towards our ( highest paid in europe ) nurses , another reason we have a shortage of beds in hospitals is so much of expenditure goes towards paying adminsitrators in hospitals who are unsackable due to the union grip on our politicans and the fact that a job lost in the public sector means a vote lost for local fianna fail td,s
    the reason the banks went to pot is down to the fact that the financial regulator took permanent leave from his post

so spare us the now three month old cliche of WE DIDNT CAUSE THIS MESS

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

jonny24ie wrote: »
    I get 2 priveledge days a year.... big woop!

In the private sector 8 years ago I got 25 days leave a year with 3 extra days to cover over christmas when the place was closed for holidays!! So in fact I got 28 days leave per year.

Now I get 24 days off (22 annual and 2 priveledge).... this country really has become full of begrudging f00ls that don't have a clue whats going on around them!

If you had better holidays in your private sector job, why did you leave it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Heroditas wrote: »
    If you had better holidays in your private sector job, why did you leave it?

Because I wanted to work in the CS and had applied 2 years before hand, done the tests and interviews and was top of the list to get into the Civil Service. I decided that handing out post everyday was no good and moved to the Civil Service where now I am an experienced Computer Programmer and technician.
    My work varies from day to day and I work with some of the most dedicated staff I have ever had the pleasure of working with. Granted there is some waste in the service but not as much now as there was when I started!

Up until the recession people only went to job that paid the best money for their skills. This was not the civil service and still is not the civil service. Yet as soon as times are hard the public sector as a whole get it in the ear from people that had the oppertunity to work in the public service but didn't want to as they thought the jobs were beneath them!

Remember, holidays are not a reason to choose a job either!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Because I wanted to work in the CS

In the CS in general or specifically in the role that you are now in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I think the problem is people are saying it makes no sense for the civil service to have today off. Especially when it's our tax money paying for it.

It's just another example of the bizarre privileges the civil service are entitled to.

Btw, loads of private companies offer less than 22 days holidays per year.

I doubt that. Isn't the minimum holidays for full time workers 21 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

irish_bob wrote: »
    the ps is largely to blame for the current mess , the reason our class sizes are so big is due to the fact that the majority of expenditure on education goes towards teachers wages as opposed to actual buildings the reason we have such a shortage of beds in our hospitals is due to the fact that so much of expenditure on health goes towards our ( highest paid in europe ) nurses , another reason we have a shortage of beds in hospitals is so much of expenditure goes towards paying adminsitrators in hospitals who are unsackable due to the union grip on our politicans and the fact that a job lost in the public sector means a vote lost for local fianna fail td,s
    the reason the banks went to pot is down to the fact that the financial regulator took permanent leave from his post

What a load of utter ****e! Please get your facts straight!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ceret

grahamo wrote: »
    I doubt that. Isn't the minimum holidays for full time workers 21 days?

20 days per year I think.

That's all I get. Non of these floating/company days. And my company was open on Good Friday, and Tuesday (today). If I wanted that off that has to come out of my allotment of holidays.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

ceret wrote: »
    20 days per year I think.
    Correct. That's what I get. I can build up a few more by working overtime although not 18. I'm in today and my equivalent of a priviledge day was to get Good Friday off. From speaking to friends the general figure is 23-25. I get less because I can build overtime holidays (as, of course, can the CS).

On a side note, I am a bit amused that RTE used the phrase "horse'n'trap" on Liveline when talking about this. It's hardly a normal one but it's the one I happened to use in my post above...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Tazdedub

irish_bob wrote: »
    the ps is largely to blame for the current mess , the reason our class sizes are so big is due to the fact that the majority of expenditure on education goes towards teachers wages as opposed to actual buildings
    the reason we have such a shortage of beds in our hospitals is due to the fact that so much of expenditure on health goes towards our ( highest paid in europe ) nurses , another reason we have a shortage of beds in hospitals is so much of expenditure goes towards paying adminsitrators in hospitals who are unsackable due to the union grip on our politicans and the fact that a job lost in the public sector means a vote lost for local fianna fail td,s

Irish Bob I think you are wrong. I dont think they did cause it. What caused it was the government led by Bertie Ahern throwing money out left right and centre without and thought or care for the consquences on this.

I work in the private sector and if my employer offered me the sort of pay rises that were offered during the social partnership agreements of the last few years do you think I would say no? Do you think anyone would say no?

The only difference is that the private sector are much more careful on how they spend their budgets, unlike the Bertie government which thought that the well would never run dry so agreed to everything and anything.

So I dont blame the Public service for getting the best deal they could in the boom years, I dont blame the public service for fighting to keep the deals that their employers (the government) were stupid enough to sign. I dont blame anyone who got better wages than me or more holidays than me, that is the nature of jobs and companies. Some are good to work for and give good wages and holidays and others are not.

There is only one place to lay the blame and that is firmly at the feet of the government, there is no one else. Are they not the ones that agreed to huge pay rises but without the improvement in services? Are they now not the ones that wont tackle the public service wage bill but rather prefer to have this them and us agrument?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This thread is a good example of the pointless begrudgery that has been let loose in recent times. Civil service holidays have been around for years and have not had any effect on the present economic conditions. Jobs have particular packages of conditions, you can only look at them in the round. Civil service holidays are probably not much different from other bureaucratic employments. Nor are Irish public service holidays out of line with other Euro area countries, so are not directly the cause of any lack of competitiveness. Wages may have been too high, but this was an attempt to seek compensation for the cost of living caused by high prices charged by the private sector. The public sector has its problems, but the "board" of the organisation was voted in by the public who are therefore responsible as much as anyone for the deficiencies in its management.

On whineline there was a person giving out about this "privilege" day, he said that he was self employed and did not have paid holidays. No doubt this is true and no doubt business is not as good as it was, but self employment has other flexibilities that a bureaucratic job does not have. If you asked this person two years ago he probably would have said that he liked being his own boss and that he wouldn't like to do a 9-5 job!!

I think this wouldn't have much of an eye lid batted at it, were it not for the "priviledge" in the title. It conjures up a sense of elite entitlement and that leads to people recollecting all the other entitlements - many are now being relenquished in the private sector, not so much in the public.
    If this were just added to the hoiday count, it wouldn't have been such a big deal (add a day to the annual leave and force them to take it on this day).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

ixoy wrote: »
    I think this wouldn't have much of an eye lid batted at it, were it not for the "priviledge" in the title. It conjures up a sense of elite entitlement and that leads to people recollecting all the other entitlements - many are now being relenquished in the private sector, not so much in the public.
    If this were just added to the hoiday count, it wouldn't have been such a big deal (add a day to the annual leave and force them to take it on this day).

First off, you can't convert it to Annual Leave and then force it to be taken on one particular day, what's the point of calling it AL then?

Secondly, what day exactly would people be forced to take it on? At the moment, it can be used the day before, day after, or within a month of the event.

Thirdly, I've always believed that the word "privilege" was to convey something you were lucky for, i.e. the saying "...is a right, not a priviledge". If other people take it up as an entitlement, then so be it. And people, don't bother giving me dictionary references, I know what the word means.

Fourthly, and finally, yes, it isn't a necessary day off, and it could be easily revoked and I wouldn't be too upset if it was.

First off, you can't convert it to Annual Leave and then force it to be taken on one particular day, what's the point of calling it AL then?
    Actually you can - that's perfectly within the bounds of the law. It's not a popular move but I've seen people here talking about how they're forced to take annual leave at Christmas.
    Thirdly, I've always believed that the word "privilege" was to convey something you were lucky for, i.e. the saying "...is a right, not a priviledge". If other people take it up as an entitlement, then so be it. And people, don't bother giving me dictionary references, I know what the word means.
    Technically, you're perfectly correct but I've found people misuse the word!
    Fourthly, and finally, yes, it isn't a necessary day off, and it could be easily revoked and I wouldn't be too upset if it was.
    It's not a huge deal but it does highlight, in a way, how hard it is for people to give up anything, especially when they're a large group.

I'd be far more interested in getting a mandatory 7hr30 minute day (with flexibility) to be honest - that would add more value (longer opening hours for example) and bring the working week more in line with the private sector that they want to be bench marked against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Less of the PS/CS bashing, it's tiresome... the workers get a bollocking when they are only working, they take what they are given, any one of you would do the same thing, smell of jealousy off this thread...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Heroditas wrote: »
    In the CS in general or specifically in the role that you are now in?

In I.T. mainly first of all, I started in the service, 4 years later with exams and interviews I passed them and got moved into I.T. (Where I am now).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

This whole PS arguement is just becoming a whingey whiney witchhunt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so what if civil sevant get 2 (yes 2) privalage days a year on top of 20 days holidays.

dont forget that for christamas they only get christmas day, st stephens day and then a privalage day off. after that any holidays or time off they have to take comes out of their annual leave.

This whole arguement is just becoming an old Irish begrugery fiasco IMO.

A couple of years ago they couldnt even get the applicants into the exam halls for a job becaouse F all wanted to work for the civil service.

stevoman wrote: »
    dont forget that for christamas they only get christmas day, st stephens day and then a privalage day off. after that any holidays or time off they have to take comes out of their annual leave.
    What do you mean that's "all" they get - I've never worked in anywhere that got more than that. Maybe it's a feature of SMEs?
    This whole arguement is just becoming an old Irish begrugery fiasco IMO.
    Meh, the privilege day thing is being overblown a little to be honest. There's better arguments to be made about the working hours or the total holidays built up with a little bit of overtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I couldn't begrudge (and begrudery is all it is) anybody getting 20 days leave and 2 privilege days. I get 29 days in addition to Bank Holidays, Good Friday, and Christmas Day, St Stephens day and the next day. Let's not pretend that only the public service get a good deal and that nobody works as long or as hard as we do. It's sickening to see Irish workers (mostly in the private sector) at the throats of every other worker in the country the instant the good times stuttered.

Advertisement