Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teachers...

• 13-04-2009 1:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭

just wondering, what way do ye tend to see teachers?

was just talking to my fella's son about this the other day, and how when we were small, teachers weren't really real people, and seeing one in public usually warranted hiding behind something :pac:

then, by secondary school, particularly in first year, you can appreciate that they're real people, but tend not to like them, for being so strict/bitchy/crap/weird personality trait/whatever. but by 6th year, you can appreciate lots of them for being dead sound, really caring about their job/students, and just generally good people.

i know for me, we had an irish teacher in first year, who was a bitch. terrified of her, we were. complete hard-ass slave driver. used to make some terrible jokes about her (among ourselves, of course), that im completely ashamed of now.

by the time we were in 6th year, nobody could deny that the woman was a legend. a kickass teacher, completely awesome person, genuinely gave a ****. did her utmost to have us as prepared for our LC as possiblel, and even went to the extreme of postponing surgery when we were in 6th year so as to be with us long enough to properly properly prepare us as best she could.

what way do ye tend to view ye're teachers and has that changed as you've growned up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Pretty much the same as you. I think it's only when you get into 5th 6th yr you begin to realise the effort and sacrifices teachers put in/make.

It's only then that you see that they do actually care for you and want you to do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

It was different for me in primary school because I often ran into my teachers outside school, and my parents know them quite well. Id say its mainly because Im from such a rural area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

yeah i'd pretty much agree with you.
    since 5th year, it's felt like they've actually started treating us more as equals and less like children. so there's actually a bit of craic and joking in a lot of our classes, and work being done at the same time, most people have realised that now's the time to cop on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Quite a few of my teachers have a rep of being seen in the same nightclubs as the students... quite funny tbh, especially when the teachers get turned away for no ID on them! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

*watches thread closely*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I never disliked teachers for being teachers. To me they were always just people doing their job.

I never relied on teachers to learn, since I just tend to learn better independently, so 5th/6th year I appreciated the teachers who just let me do my own thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

My mother was a teacher in Primary. Nuff said.

I tended to get on with Secondary teachers, particularly one or two in a year. I liked the ones that actually bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Teachers are cool,hate the teachers that try to be thick for the sake of it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

In 2nd year atm and I do appreciate some of the teachers get a hard time and are just doing their job. It's the fuppin scummish type people in the class who prevent the teacher from teaching. Hopefully they will drop it by 6th year and we can actually get some proper learning. But we had this one teacher. Soundest legend EVER. He drove a Vespa, ate veggie Subway, and above all let you off early so you could go to Subway to get his lunch. Even gave one of us his laser card once to get money for his lunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

By 3rd year I really appreciated how dedicated the teachers in my school are. Around the Junior Cert they'd organise extra classes for us and some of them are doing the same for Leaving Cert so I have a lot of respect for them.

If I see one outside school I'll just smile and ask them how they are. If it's during summer or something I'll say something like "enjoy the holidays". It may make me seem like a total brown noser but I think it's just politeness, manners cost nothing!

One thing that I always find weird is when teachers talk about other jobs they have. I tend to sorta define teachers by their job and it's weird to think that they were once a "normal" person (as in, no authority) and could again be a "normal" person.

• Advertisement

Piste wrote: »
    By 3rd year I really appreciated how dedicated the teachers in my school are. Around the Junior Cert they'd organise extra classes for us and some of them are doing the same for Leaving Cert so I have a lot of respect for them.

If I see one outside school I'll just smile and ask them how they are. If it's during summer or something I'll say something like "enjoy the holidays". It may make me seem like a total brown noser but I think it's just politeness, manners cost nothing!

One thing that I always find weird is when teachers talk about other jobs they have. I tend to sorta define teachers by their job and it's weird to think that they were once a "normal" person (as in, no authority) and could again be a "normal" person.

But there's a €12 tax on manners. Didn't you hear it in the mini-budget ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

giggsy664 wrote: »
    But there's a €12 tax on manners. Didn't you hear it in the mini-budget ?

Didn't you post that joke in After Hours as well?
    Booo! Get a new joke! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

A girl I hang out with is in her final year of Primary Teaching. I only realised from that what the student teachers we had back in primary schools probably got up to in their spare time(:o), and that they were that young. I remember thinking that they must have been ancient. I also remember being in 6th class and therefore "too important" to have a student teacher!

In secondary school, a friend put it that we were treated like 16 year olds the whole way through. Great when you're 12/13, crap when you're 18. In general, I appreciated the teachers that genuinely cared, and the ones with whom I shared a mutual respect. Some of them were right dickheads though. And one of my teachers got arrested for paedophilia the year after I left, so I was glad he wasn't one of the ones I thought was sound!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

I've illustrated my thoughts in the diagrams below
    128843134549685655.png
    128843138100410442.png

An File wrote: »
    Didn't you post that joke in After Hours as well?
    Booo! Get a new joke! :p

Ssshhhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I remember I saw my Irish teacher jogging in Ashbourne one day, very weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i remember a sub teacher being seen passed out on the streets at the opposite end of the country when we were in 5th class. one of the lads went back to his folks home down the country for the weekend/whatever and saw her there...

that's just all sorts of weird, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Megsy

Up until the 3rd year I had always seen teachers as these abnormal beings who were out to get you and had no lives outside of school. But once I did TY and now that I'm in 5th year I can totally appreciate any work they do and I've also realised that they're just normal people with normal lives. I definitely love my teachers as I think most of them really try hard to make sure we can get the best out of life. They work hard at their jobs and deserve a lot more credit than they get. Saying that though I do have some teachers who just don't seem bothered at all and a few that don't get a chance either thanks to the idiots in some of my classes but overall they do a great job.

Haha challengemaster reminds me of a teacher of mine who was once seen at an Ann Summers party :D. A girl I know who used to go to our school and who had her as a teacher saw her there and was totally mortified!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I don't think I really minded teachers... I actually liked a few. Some couple be particularly nosy or petty and that really bugged the hell out of me.

But overall I'd say I felt (and still do!) sorry for the poor things. Teaching a class of ungrateful, acne-faced hormone factories who don't appreciate the fact that 100 years ago most of them would've been working in the coal mines.

Unless you're good with people, being a teacher must suck. Coupled with the fact that you can't exactly light up a cigarette if you teach in a school. I don't know how they do it!

On the other hand though, I was just saying today that there are some teachers who are so obviously unhappy with their job..so why do it?

You do something because you enjoy it..a teacher coming in, piling on work, not actually being friendly with the class etc. obviously isn't happy with their job so why not do something else? This is just from experience with some of my teachers..they come in and they are always in moods...

If you're a happy teacher and have a personality then you will be treated well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Most teachers are grand but there's no point denying that there are some teachers who are way too hard on their pupils. Some of them do it because they enjoy the power and others do it because they think it's necessary. Either way, I've no qualms labeling them as bitches/ dickheads.

These teachers are only a small percentage, but they do exist, and I'd say there's one or two in most schools.

what would you define as being "too hard" on the pupils?

what would you define as being "too hard" on the pupils?
    Literally having no sympathy for students. One teacher I had, gave me half a page to write out on boiled water because I was holding a pearer close to my eye and he considered it dangerous

ha, fair enough. what a plank.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

creggy wrote: »
    I remember I saw my Irish teacher jogging in Ashbourne one day, very weird.
    I remember this one time, there was this teacher in training, who posted in a thread about teachers doing things... Mad stuff

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    I remember this one time, there was this teacher in training, who posted in a thread about teachers doing things... Mad stuff

There's actually 2 of us in here man!
    Just don't say anything, they won't think we're weird if they keep believing teachers don't have social lives...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Most girls in my year have a problem with the student or new teachers because we practically the same age as us and they boss us around. I have no problem with teachers if they do their jobs properly, but I don't particularly like them. Except my history teacher, the man's a legend.

I see them out in the real world all the time because I'm always in Liffey Valley and usually one of them is hanging around, so they never seemed strange to me, just people doing a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

I get on grand with most of them; this year in particular a couple of them have achieved legend status in my books - Maths teacher is working her balls off for us, putting in a few hours a week outside of class time for us.

That said, there's no one I hate more than my English teacher. He's in the job for all the wrong reasons. He just doesn't love the language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I visited the town I teach in over the Easter holidays and while sitting outside a cafe a lot of my students passed me. The older ones said hi and the younger ones ignored me. While walking down the main street I saw a couple of 2nd years. One of them noticed me and turned the other way. He turned back to his friend and I told him that I was thoroughly insulted. :D We ended up having a nice conversation.

The younger kids, and some of them less mature 5th years see me as someone who is out to get them, whether they are acting up or not.

Tbh the TYs upwards tend to see me as an equal of sorts. The 6th years in particular are very comfortable with me and we chat away and have a laugh while getting the work done. They are so comfortable with me that I nearly managed to get them to tell me what the 6th year prank is. :D They copped on to the fact that I'm a teacher though.

I am only 23 though. It's not like I'm old! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

cautioner wrote: »
    I get on grand with most of them; this year in particular a couple of them have achieved legend status in my books - Maths teacher is working her balls off for us, putting in a few hours a week outside of class time for us.

That said, there's no one I hate more than my English teacher. He's in the job for all the wrong reasons. He just doesn't love the language.
    What the Geography teacher?

The said teacher stays back in the school till near 10 o'clock some night correcting tests and preparing for the classes the next day!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

I'm finished school, never had any problems with my teacher..

My best friend is a student teacher, she's timid and shy.... i'd love to be in one of her classes! More because she teachers in a boys secondary school, she'd quite good looking and teachers the 5th years... hilarious i'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dumb

Where would this school be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I get on fairly well with most of mine, a few jokes about a couple behind their backs (or, if we think they have a sense of humour, in front of them), though even those ones wouldn't really be disliked much.

I can see why people get a lot of respect for them in secondary school, in addition to just being more mature (slightly), I've really noticed that they tend to treat you more like equals and less like children.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

When I was in school I always disliked teachers who couldn't keep control of a class. These were teachers who instead of making someone STFU or leave, would eventually just relent because they weren't bothered. I've always thought that the first two classes you had with a teacher were the most important. In general, I think it's a lot better to be a complete hard ass (harsh but fair) than to try to be 'cool' or 'sound,' or at the very least to be harsh at first and very gradually relent a little.
    The best teacher I've ever had was a complete hard ass, lots of homework,constant ball crushing work for the entire class,harshly marked essays,next to no banter in the classroom. But she was fair, and made sure you learned irish. So yeah, be like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I have an Irish teacher who hates me and i hate her,Got on well till after the easter break of this year,Monday morning first class,She was sitting at her desk,Turn's to me and asks me if i'd tell her what to do to get the projector working,I agreed and told her what to do.She did what i told her to do(and this is where it get's stupid)I said "yeah that's it,It'll work now" and she goes "can you come up and check" i was like "It will work fine" but she goes "I'd rather you checked it" So that was fine.

Got up and walked by a mate he goes "Aren't you good helping the teacher" and i jokingly reply saying "I'd rather get this question done".She stops me and says "Would you?" i said "yes" and she says "right so you can"(she switches on the laptop and it works)and all seems ok,I go to sit back down and start doing the sum,The fella' next to me start talking and then she goes,"ACTUALLY Richard(me) Get out!!" I was like "What?" and she just goes off on one about me being ignorant and stuff,Long story short she then claimed to be concerned for my education and let me back in i refused and she took me over to the office,Not a fun thing to do at 9:50 on a Monday morning after a week off.Has barely spoke to me since and if she asks a general question and i answer she just turns away from me.

I think she an ignorant teacher and can't wait to see the back of her,All the rest are fine,Especially biology she's a great teacher :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

most of the teachers are quite friendly in my school, we take the piss out of them the whole time and they do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

2 of the teachers in our school are like best mates with a group of us. Came out for pints with us during the easter holidays. Came clubbing on graduation night, both are complete legends and made us love and appreciate school. Most of the teachers in my school are sound!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Ah I've had some lovely teachers who really worked hard but could have a laugh r two, one teacher saw me and my friend outside a shop went in and bought us a box of pringles between us :D That same teacher was our soccer coach for school and one time in a match my leg cramped up and I collapsed he came over to help I told him to f**k off just laughed and helped me out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

God i remember my first day of first year, one of our teachers scared the bejesus out of us all. We walked into science and the room was dark. The teacher was sitting at the top of class and when we had all sat down he muttered "i don't like the light.." Basically we were terrified of him and the "shotgun" in his jeep. Now though he's the soundest teacher in the school. The amout of work he put into getting our DCG project done this year was mad.

Grads was a great laugh, some of the younger teachers came out to the club with us and had a great laugh.

There is nothing, and i mean NOTHING funnier than seeing that teacher you looked up to or were afraid of for 5 years, absolutley hammered on the dancefloor :D

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

Literally having no sympathy for students. One teacher I had, gave me half a page to write out on boiled water because I was holding a pearer close to my eye and he considered it dangerous

Well in all fairness, half a page isn't that bad. :rolleyes: I mean yeah it's bureacratic and anal, but considering how my freind had to write a 5 page essay on circumsision for making a joke in religion class, it doesn't seem all that harsh to me. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I have an Irish teacher who hates me and i hate her,Got on well till after the easter break of this year,Monday morning first class,She was sitting at her desk,Turn's to me and asks me if i'd tell her what to do to get the projector working,I agreed and told her what to do.She did what i told her to do(and this is where it get's stupid)I said "yeah that's it,It'll work now" and she goes "can you come up and check" i was like "It will work fine" but she goes "I'd rather you checked it" So that was fine.

Got up and walked by a mate he goes "Aren't you good helping the teacher" and i jokingly reply saying "I'd rather get this question done".She stops me and says "Would you?" i said "yes" and she says "right so you can"(she switches on the laptop and it works)and all seems ok,I go to sit back down and start doing the sum,The fella' next to me start talking and then she goes,"ACTUALLY Richard(me) Get out!!" I was like "What?" and she just goes off on one about me being ignorant and stuff,Long story short she then claimed to be concerned for my education and let me back in i refused and she took me over to the office,Not a fun thing to do at 9:50 on a Monday morning after a week off.Has barely spoke to me since and if she asks a general question and i answer she just turns away from me.

I think she an ignorant teacher and can't wait to see the back of her,All the rest are fine,Especially biology she's a great teacher :pac:

Thats an interesting type of gaeilge :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Lol! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

A few teachers in my old school (it feels so weird saying that!) often come out with my friends, and obviously I end up with them too. More than once I've seen some of them end up in weird situations; completely locked, hitting on friends boyfriends, and then stories from people tend to circulate that things have gone way farther than they should have. I find it fairly weird when teachers befriend students to that extent - it's their job to teach, not to befriend teenagers. But that's just me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I tend to agree with the notion that once you are past 3rd year you tend to become more fonder of them. However, it's not a universal thing where every teacher magically turns out to "sound". Some teachers when you come into 5th/6th year will lower their guard and will start treating you as an adult. There is a mutual respect there that wasn't there before and I have to say, some of the most nicest people I have ever met have been teachers.

However, some teachers are just rotten to the core and that never changes; I have had teachers that could only be described as mini-sadists, and teachers who just simply don't give a rats ass about your future. They'd spend more time telling you about their personal life, or how you'll fail, or just simply waste most of the class lecturing the majority for the misdeeds of the few (without having a solution either).

Thank **** that I studied without guidance, I feel sorry for the ones who needed guidance but were failed by their teachers.

Advertisement