Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TDs Pensions Withdrawal may be Illegal

Options
  • 13-04-2009 2:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭

Lenihan is told that pension plans may not be legal

The government was advised before the budget by Attorney General Paul Gallagher that the plan simply to withdraw ministerial pensions for sitting TDs might be legally unenforceable. The measure was still included in the budget, as it was assumed that none of the 26 sitting TDs in receipt of ministerial pensions would try to block it.

It is expected that the Dáil will pass a resolution approving the withdrawal of the pensions, but senior sources said that there could be a legal problem if any one of the affected TDs voted against the resolution.

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=NEWS-qqqs=news-qqqid=41038-qqqx=1.asp

This situation is ridiculous and they should never have been getting pensions in the first place. Former ministers receive these pensions on top of their Dail salaries of over €100,000, even though they no longer hold these ministerial positions. Bertie Ahern gets an estimated pension of between €120,000 and €160,000. Mary O’Rourke and a few others have waived their pensions until they retire.

Does anyone think that some TD/s might try to block the removal of the pensions? I would imagine that some of them might be tempted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Page 19 and beyond gives the final 2007 figures of pensions if you're interested.

http://www.finance.gov.ie/documents/publications/other/finacct2007eng.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The Raven. wrote: »
    Does anyone think that some TD/s might try to block the removal of the pensions? I would imagine that some of them might be tempted.

Considering quite a few of them are on the front benches of the main Opposition parties I'd say they'll stay quiet.

Amusing how this excess wasn't seriously campaigned against until now..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

nesf wrote: »
    Considering quite a few of them are on the front benches of the main Opposition parties I'd say they'll stay quiet.

We haven't really been interested, I think - we've been very much in the mood of "don't bother us, can't you see we're busy being totally successful - who worries about that kind of stuff?".

Silly us.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

nesf wrote: »

One of the first Private Members Bills that the Progressive Democrats put forward in 1987 was to do exactly this, and most current Fianna Fail and Fine Gael front-benchers voted against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Dont these muppets make the laws ?

If it is illegal at the mo, then just simply make it fcuking legal and stop with all the BS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Challenging this would be politicial suicide. It will be very interesting to see what the remunerations review body will come back with in july.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Scofflaw wrote: »
    We haven't really been interested, I think - we've been very much in the mood of "don't bother us, can't you see we're busy being totally successful - who worries about that kind of stuff?".

Silly us.

Who are 'we'? 'Silly' who? :confused:

Some of us have been very 'interested' and the subject has come up before. I have provided figures, but admittedly there was little response. I really find it astonishing that the huge salaries, pensions, and other 'expenses' that Irish politicians pay themselves, at the expense of the taxpayer, has been tolerated for so long. The problem is that one can't say 'don't vote for them next time' because they are all in favour of it, with the exception of maybe one or two. How can it be stopped except from within?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

jprender wrote: »
    Dont these muppets make the laws ?

If it is illegal at the mo, then just simply make it fcuking legal and stop with all the BS.

Unfortunately Law is not that simple, you cannot retroactively apply legislation in most cases.

For example you couldnt turn around now and say all people with a driving license that their license is no longer valid and they need to get a new one (this is half the problem with the EU Driving License scheme, you can't force people to exchange it)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I dunno, they managed to change the laws on magic mushrooms in less than a week. I'm sure if they put their minds to it they could figure out something here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Thoie wrote: »
    I dunno, they managed to change the laws on magic mushrooms in less than a week. I'm sure if they put their minds to it they could figure out something here.

Mary Coughlan did it by removing the Back to Education Allowance for mature students, who were led to believe that they could complete their studies through post graduate level. They couldn't sign on the dole because they were attending college. She also removed the allowance for all levels during the holiday periods, when they could no longer get jobs.

They can do it when they please as long as they don't suffer themselves. It will be interesting to see what happens. How sly of them to call it a 'pension'. If they called it a 'wage' or 'salary' they wouldn't get away with it as they are doing nothing to earn it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement