Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinsboro road parking shunt

Options
  • 13-04-2009 6:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

On Saturday morning last, around 9 a.m., I parked tight to the back of an 06 land Rover Freelander. I needed to as there were no parking spaces and I needed to get forward of the double - yellow lines. This was opposite Dunnes Stores. There was loads of space in front of the Land Rover.

I was only gone a few minutes. I returned to the car and disengaged gear ( to start it ). As soon as I did, it lurched forward a good few inches. Odd. The next day, I notice my front number plate in bits. Obviously the jeep driver did not 'tip' my car, but rather pushed it substantially, causing it to lurch as it did when out of gear ( handbrake on, naturally ).

I had thought of reporting it - after all, a tip is one thing but pushing stuff out of the way is another - but the Gardai in Bray take most traffic incidents with a pinch of salt. They're unlikely to bother doing anything. Has anyone got any suggestions? Does anyone know if Dunnes have CCTV, or indeed if there is CCTV in that area that might have picked it up?

thanks in advance,

Tony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Hi tony

I think the closest cctv point is at the church but would be too far away and too parallel to see if an accident happened. As for the jeep i dont even think that the owner realised they hit you, one of these things could push you up the street without realising it. Sorry to hear of the accident though. Once or twice Ive left a note of a reg when I witnessed an accident, most just have a glance around, swear a bit, see if they can get away with it and tear off. Its really unfortunate but its indicative of the amout of people in this country that cant actually drive and shouldn't be behind the wheel in the first place.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Similar problem happened to me last week in Dublin city center, was CCTV but my car wasn't in view so i have to fork out the best part of a grand over some selfish ****er.

There are Garda cameras on that road they might have picked up the reg plate of the offending car and you could pursue them. You might need to i.d the the car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

mikkael wrote: »
    There was loads of space in front of the Land Rover.

thats no guarantee there would've been loads of space when he returned to leave. If you parked so tight to him that he couldn't get out without pushing you back then its largely your own fault. I wouldn't expect the guards to put any effort into investigating a broken number plate...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

loyatemu wrote: »
    thats no guarantee there would've been loads of space when he returned to leave. If you parked so tight to him that he couldn't get out without pushing you back then its largely your own fault. I wouldn't expect the guards to put any effort into investigating a broken number plate...

I agree with that.

Also OP, the jeep driver was not to know you were only going to be there for a short time. What was he to do.....wait for you to return ????? If I came back to my car and found someone had parked right at my tail allowing me no room to reverse, I would be really angry. You seem to be only considering your situation without any thought to the situation you left him/her in when he/she returned to their jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

In fairness lads does that give any one the right to damage another persons car? I am sure there is some procedures if your car is blocked in, ramming it out of the way is not the answer as you damage your car and the other car blocking you.

If brain fails bruit force will prevail?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

OP, the only question relevant to this forum is the location of CCTV cameras around Quinsboro road.

Everyone else, if you wish to discuss the merits of who was right/wrong to have parked, shunted or whatever else, Motors is the place to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭mikkael

loyatemu wrote: »

It's actually more than a broken number plate: the bumper is cracked badly on one side ( 400 euro unpainted, last time I checked ). I don't accept that it's largely my own fault. People don't have a right to push cars out of the way with a 4x4.

The configuration of parked cars / length of time I was gone suggests the driver backed back when they would in fact have had loads of space to get out. I'd never leave my car like that for any considerable length of time, for reasons you suggest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭mikkael

Apologies to Admin, I just saw your post. No more speed - reading for me :o

Advertisement