Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Someone advise me, I don't know what to do!

• 13-04-2009 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

I was studying for a degree in philosophy, but in the third year I had to drop out because I needed to go home for medical treatment. I was granted a diploma for the 2 years worth of credits that I completed, although due to a health problem affecting my studies, I only got third class marks.
    Now I'm better and want to finish the degree, but I don't want to do my third year in philosophy. I realise now that it's going to be totally useless for getting a job. I want to live in Sweden, and so need to do something that will help with that. I guess something medical would be the most useful option but I can't stand the sight of blood and guts.
    I'm thinking maybe I should see if I can do my third year in TEFL? What do you think of this? Also alot of people go to Sweden with TEFL so I don't think they're that desperately in need of new teachers.
    I would welcome any other suggestions. I need to do something that:

1. Would help me get a job in Sweden

2. Doesn't involve blood & guts

3. Won't require more than 2 or preferably 1 year of extra study as I have already been waiting 5 years to move to Sweden and my patience is running out!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭kob29

Surely you cant do two years of a philosophy degree, switch subject for 1 year and get a whole degree in a new area in 1 year? Id imagine you'd be looking at talking your way into some arts faculty and trying to pick up credits in some second (useful) subject. How something medical just randomly popped into the equation I dont know if blood and guts are a problem and you still think you can use your philosophy diploma towards it?
    So not that I have a solution, but to be frank I think you need MAJOR professional guidance and a dose of patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I mean that if I could do my third year in TEFL, then maybe I would have a joint philosophy/TEFL degree, or else a philosophy major with a TEFL minor? That, I'm sure, would be more use than a pure philosophy degree. How I wish I had listened to my parents when they advised me to pick a more useful subject!

The reason I mentioned something medical is for the simple reason that it would be easier to get a job with. I actually can't stand blood & guts but I can't think of any other job that is very in demand (except IT I suppose, but I am rubbish with computers.)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

My advice would be to go back to your college and talk to their careers service. If you have a two year degree, doing an additional year will offer you an ordinary degree, and additonal year after that will grant you an honours degree. Maybe then you can consider a post-graduate higher diploma in psychology or business? If you finish your qualification and then try to further upskill, or just start afresh that would be better than just trying to find something that'll "do" just to get you to Sweden.

I did a quick google: http://www.jobsinstockholm.com/ have a look and see whats there. If its your dream to go there make your dream come true, but dont waste time getting angry at your current situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Oakbark

Unfortunately, the reality is if you wish to complete your degree, I would imagine it'll more than likely have to be in Philosophy. I can't imagine a college allowing you to jump to a new subject midway through your degree. As stated above, talk to the college careers service and work something out - i would imagine you'd have to either start afresh with a new degree, or finish your Philosophy degree.

Just a thought - is there any way you could do further studies in Sweden? You've probably already enquired, but you should give the idea of work and part time study over there a try.

Advertisement