Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what should i expect to pay

Options
  • 13-04-2009 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

hi, thinking of getting a little bit of interior painting done in the next few months, just wondering what i could expect to pay. i've 14 doors and trims, hall stairs landing, sitting room, kitchen and bathroom, standard 4 bed house. i'm intending on supplyinjg the paint myself so it will only be for labour. if anyone could give me an idea how much this would set me back i'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

You don't mention if the house is new or previously decorated or what type of finish/colour you want on the woodwork/doors. Are the doors raw? Previously painted? Do ceilings require paint? Do you intend to make radical colour changes on your walls? (extra coats may be needed)
    Is the house being lived in? If so, extra work like covering flooring and moving furniture will add to the cost.

Personally when pricing work, I supply paint and materials...most decorators will, since we can get it at trade rate, can claim back VAT and we know the amounts that will be needed, best brand for job type etc.
    In the past where I've had clients supply paint, it has resulted in problems: not enough purchased, poor quality/cheap paint (resulting in more work) wrong primers/finishes etc.

As I've said on this forum many times, it's impossible to give accurate quotes for work from a verbal description. Even supplying a rough figure is hard since we can't see what actual work is entailed. No two jobs are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

OP just make sure you price around. My sister was getting most of the house done and most of the Irish lads were miles out with quotes, with crazy prices. She got a name of a polish bloke and saw his work and it was amazing !! difference was running into 000's :eek: Im getting the same done myself and getting a Romain guy, seen his work from other local jobs and again..faultless !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

gaz wac wrote: »
    OP just make sure you price around. My sister was getting most of the house done and most of the Irish lads were miles out with quotes, with crazy prices. She got a name of a polish bloke and saw his work and it was amazing !! difference was running into 000's :eek: Im getting the same done myself and getting a Romain guy, seen his work from other local jobs and again..faultless !!!

gaz when you say the polish guy was cheaper I find it hard to belive that the difference was thousands..

did the polish guy have insurance for the job?
    was he registered for tax or was he doing the job for cash?

most irish lads have advertising costs,running a van,insurance
    tax ect ect ect..

Im not saying the polish guy does'nt have those overheads aswell
    just I would'nt be saying the irish quotes were wrong because they were dearer.

also why are you getting the roman guy when the polish guy was cheap and done a good job for your sister?

If those guys are beating prices by thousands, then they're cutting all kinds of corners (either with the work itself or through lack of overheads/tax).
    I could believe a few hundred maybe. The way I'm pricing jobs at the minute, if someone can do it for lower (especially at the differences discussed), with the same level of service and quality of finish then they're welcome to the job.

Hi
    With you supplying the paint, etc (I can advise what brands to avoid and quantities required) I reckon the job would cost in the region of €1600
    This price would include some caulking/filling/sanding in order to achieve a good quality of finish.

You can safely say that without knowing what condition the house is even in, whether timber/doors are raw, even what type of doors they are, whether she wants celings done, etc?
    On the basis of those assumptions, you could be out by a few days labour or a couple of hundred quid in either direction.
    BTW what price wouldn't include caulking, filling and sanding? It's an integral part of any job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Im not going to start an argument about this :p OP price around with local lads and a couple of foreigners and let us know who you ended up with?
    robbie1977 wrote: »
    also why are you getting the roman guy when the polish guy was cheap and done a good job for your sister?

Nothing to do with the OP's question, but ...I live in a different county....shock horror !! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rommell

Hi thanks for the reply.
    The 14 doors need undercoating and glossed white.the hall stairs and landing painted satin and ceiling done too there is also a daydo rail to be painted .The kitchen painted a different colour and ceiling redone.The sitting room painted and ceiling also.The bathroom dark furniture painted undercoated and satin painted plus ceiling.

Could do with some help is a price figure.

bettedavis :confused:

[Hi thanks for the reply.
    The 14 doors need undercoating and glossed white.the hall stairs and landing painted satin and ceiling done too there is also a daydo rail to be painted .The kitchen painted a different colour and ceiling redone.The sitting room painted and ceiling also.The bathroom dark furniture painted undercoated and satin painted plus ceiling.

bettedavis confused.gif

Hi thanks for the reply.

bettedavis confused.gif

Advertisement