Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navan men

Options
  • 13-04-2009 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Can anybody give me advise? Myself and a bunch of friends are planning a weekend away and were thinking of going to navan.What are the hot spots and are there any hot navan men about?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Can anybody give me advise? Myself and a bunch of friends are planning a weekend away and were thinking of going to navan.What are the hot spots and are there any hot navan men about?

Well, I know that Navan did once produce Pierce Brosnan but I'm afraid Mr Brosnan is sadly in no way representative of the Navan gene pool and, since then, the standard of male spawned and resident in Navan tends to be of the Beer Guts and Receding Hairlines variety.:D Think less dashingly handsome actors and more Breakfast Roll Man, Declan Decklander and CommuterMan.

Good luck anyhow!:cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Navan men are why I moved out of Navan.

Sure head to Solar anyway, there might be a busload in from somewhere else :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Silverfish wrote: »
    Navan men are why I moved out of Navan.

Sure head to Solar anyway, there might be a busload in from somewhere else :)

No not Solar

Head to The Palace...nice wimmin in there

oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ze4400

- Paddy Fitzsimons, got to get in early though, its packed most weekends :)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

ze4400 wrote: »
    - Paddy Fitzsimons, got to get in early though, its packed most weekends :)

Did she say she was 65+ ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Head for the Palace before you go near Solar, unless it's younger Navan men you're after (ie. under 23, maybe even under 21 on some nights)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Head for Spiders. It's where it's at!

...dumdidum....

PS: Navan men are of course the most sophisticated men you could ever meet, particularly at 3am in the morning as they zoom around the town showing off their fierce cool cars. You wouldn't be up to them, as Kevin McAleer might have put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

malene wrote: »
    Did she say she was 65+ ??

Are Fitzsimons's still running their trad music seisiuin, and Irish conversation classes?

They were great on that front years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

Dionysus wrote: »
    Are Fitzsimons's still running their trad music seisiuin, and Irish conversation classes?

They were great on that front years ago.

The lantern bar on watergate street, have a trad session every Wednesday night about 9.30 ish. Good night out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shilly-shally

Navan... ok…. cant for the life of me understand why, but the palace would probably be the best of the worst. stay down stairs until reasonably pissed before heading upstairs or over to the solar. I think you should give spiders a miss though, there hasn’t been much happening there for a while now;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭donmaga1

I think you should give spiders a miss though, there hasn’t been much happening there for a while now;)

SPIDERS????

How old are you????? LOL. It is gone years...... Mays be it gone for years is a good reason to give it a miss

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Wiley1

Sensitive Navan men everywhere are crying with the abuse being hurled here, It's the same as any other town, don't tar all the lads with the same brush, Prettypolly, if you hit Navan, Stay in Ma Reilly's on the Dublin Rd, head for grub in the Indian or The Russell beside The Palace bar, decent lads mostly in there and if you head upstairs before 12 you get in for free...Tis entirely up to you, visit hill of Tara for lunch and relax, enjoy...Navan is actually quite cultural (don't mind that Tommy Tiernan).....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Wiley1 wrote: »
    Navan is actually quite cultural

And colourful. Yes, the town centre is a car park, and the former Post Office is manned by Ronald McDonald & Associates. :rolleyes: It's a dive and anyone who deludes themselves into thinking otherwise belongs there. Kells, Slane and Trim have bucket loads to offer if it's culture you're after and you're not a 14 year old who bides time hanging around a shopping centre. The town didn't even have a St. Patrick's Day parade until recently ffs! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

upmeath wrote: »
    And colourful. Yes, the town centre is a car park, and the former Post Office is manned by Ronald McDonald & Associates. :rolleyes: It's a dive and anyone who deludes themselves into thinking otherwise belongs there. Kells, Slane and Trim have bucket loads to offer if it's culture you're after and you're not a 14 year old who bides time hanging around a shopping centre. The town didn't even have a St. Patrick's Day parade until recently ffs! :mad:

Hey! We've always had our moving advertising board on paddy's day. How dare you :P And remember the floats on the river that year that would have been cool except they realised they wouldn't fit under the bridge.

upmeath wrote: »
    Ok upmeath, we won’t fall out over this, Let’s just say its about perspective here.
    Quick culture lesson on Navan.
    Arts Centre, 200 shows a year.
    Athlumney Castle, Dowdall Dynasty history,
    Dunmoe round tower, we all know what they were about
    Navan Theatre group set up in the 1930’s
    River Boyne, one of top 5 brown trout hatchery in Europe
    Underground caves in town buildings used by IRB (long history there)
    And of course, Navan credit union, tallest office building in Meath.

Oh Yeah, the music that flows out of Navan, backroom sessions, latern irish sessions and Marmions nightly sessions, Nuff said….

IIMII wrote: »
    :eek::D

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Not worth a visit, closed anyway. Just a tower house

Oh, Jayz!

The only thing worth a visit is the walk along the ramparts
    Ramparts is lovely, great spot...

I think this is a good example of good oul irish positive outlook on things, believe me I’ve lived in Navan all my life and have seen the place go from a small satellite town to a ghetto with lots of good and bad goings on, It is what it is, you can either like it or not. Again, perspective.

Try a positive slant on it, Meath has world heritage site in Newgrange, think of another world heritage site (The valley of the kings in Egypt) come on! Throw up a few good things and make the posts interesting, we all know what’s wrong with Navan….

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Well, it's surrounded by all sorts of interesting history so that's good. But if I was dicator of Navan for a year, I'd do the following:

Build a boardwalk / river path along the Boyne to Trim
    Reopen the canal to Drogheda (the towpath parts of it anyhow).
    Turn the Old lockkeepers cottage at Rowleys Lock into a cafe and buy the field in front of it as a park (Salmon of knowlege themed playground).
    At that point I'd built a pedestrian bridge across the Boyne to the Roundtower opposite (climb the hill behind the old lock keepers cottage and you are directly opposite the roundtower on the bank opposite)
    Run a similar path from Navan along the Blackwater to Kells and brand it like the St Kevins Walk in Wicklow
    Put steam trains on from Dublin to Navan via Drogheda
    Build a nice river restaurant in the Andy Brennan park, and reopen the canal there too

Can't think of anything else!

EDIT:

Grow a few stalactites in Tara Mines so it can become a tourist attraction when it closes

Brilliant stuff, I have walked out the Ramparts and thought about that cottage on the lock, beautiful spot, and as for the Canal, run it all the way to Drogheda,(Meath canal restoration is actually working at the minute under the new Boyne bridge in Drogheda, fingers crossed someone with power reads your post and takes action, great potential there in all of those suggestions, amd that's only 1 part of the town, fair play.....Let's set the councillors up with accounts on boards and they can find out what the grass roots people are after, EASY!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Brilliant stuff, I have walked out the Ramparts and thought about that cottage on the lock, beautiful spot, and as for the Canal, run it all the way to Drogheda,(Meath canal restoration is actually working at the minute under the new Boyne bridge in Drogheda, fingers crossed someone with power reads your post and takes action, great potential there in all of those suggestions, amd that's only 1 part of the town, fair play.....Let's set the councillors up with accounts on boards and they can find out what the grass roots people are after, EASY!!

Navan Town Councillor Peadar Toibin is lobbying for the construction of a walkway the length of the Boyne. Do the restoration group have a website?

Navan Town Councillor Peadar Toibin is lobbying for the construction of a walkway the length of the Boyne. Do the restoration group have a website?
    Get the ballot paper out and put a big tick beside Sinn Fein so...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

First I ever heard of that - what's his take on it and who is he lobbying?

Get the ballot paper out and put a big tick beside Sinn Fein so...
    sorry, Can't see the site for the restoration, I know under this site there is a list of funded projects by heritage. I thought it was on this, maybe i am missing it.

http://www.meath.ie/LocalAuthorities/Heritage/HeritageFunding/HeritageCouncilGrantsScheme/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Hey! We've always had our moving advertising board on paddy's day. How dare you :P And remember the floats on the river that year that would have been cool except they realised they wouldn't fit under the bridge.

Are you talking about the raft races and the model Santa Maria that was in it about 2/3 years back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭aloevera

Solaaaaaarr...

Saturday nights
    12 euro in
    3 euro a drank
    poppy music that you can really dance to
    you have to be pretty drunk though to endure the solarness...
    nice smoking area too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Ramparts is lovely, great spot...

I havent lived in Navan for awhile but where is the Ramparts?
    aloevera wrote: »
    Solaaaaaarr...

Saturday nights
    12 euro in
    3 euro a drank
    poppy music that you can really dance to
    you have to be pretty drunk though to endure the solarness...
    nice smoking area too!

Oh the memories. Whats Solar like now? What sort of crowd do they get?

TheNog wrote: »
    I havent lived in Navan for awhile but where is the Ramparts?

The Ramparts are out the Boyne Rd opposite the Loreto Convent, there's a carpark leading to a little bridge. Go and bring the missus for a nice walk...ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SarahMary

IIMII wrote: »
    Well, it's surrounded by all sorts of interesting history so that's good. But if I was dicator of Navan for a year, I'd do the following:

Build a boardwalk / river path along the Boyne to Trim
    Reopen the canal to Drogheda (the towpath parts of it anyhow).
    Turn the Old lockkeepers cottage at Rowleys Lock into a cafe and buy the field in front of it as a park (Salmon of knowlege themed playground).
    At that point I'd built a pedestrian bridge across the Boyne to the Roundtower opposite (climb the hill behind the old lock keepers cottage and you are directly opposite the roundtower on the bank opposite)
    Run a similar path from Navan along the Blackwater to Kells and brand it like the St Kevins Walk in Wicklow
    Put steam trains on from Dublin to Navan via Drogheda
    Build a nice river restaurant in the Andy Brennan park, and reopen the canal there too

Can't think of anything else!

EDIT:

Grow a few stalactites in Tara Mines so it can become a tourist attraction when it closes
    That sounds lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SarahMary

Dionysus wrote: »
    Head for Spiders. It's where it's at!

...dumdidum....

PS: Navan men are of course the most sophisticated men you could ever meet, particularly at 3am in the morning as they zoom around the town showing off their fierce cool cars. You wouldn't be up to them, as Kevin McAleer might have put it.
    No no no! Not Spiders!. Go to Tiffany's, or the Hippodrome, or for the younger fogies, Oisin's. Hee hee hee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Just came across this post now and can't believe how much slating Navan got. Navan is a brilliant little town and I wouldn't live anywhere else. And by the way most of the guys here are gorgeous! I don't know what some of you are talking about. And as for personality! The town is full of comedians. The Solar is not a bad spot for a night out especially on a Saturday when it is full. The Palace is good too, not mad about taboo though I know lots who are. What makes Navan unique is that it is a Palindrome so it spells the same backwards and forwards. Hector is a typical Navan man with his wit, his big personality and his Navan accent. And I brought my son to this years Paddy's day festival and it was brilliant! We also just had a summer festival 2 weeks ago with live music, lots of stuff for kids to do, a big funfair on the fairgreen and 2FM's Larry Gogan broadcasted his show live all day from the festival. In my opinion in the last 5 years, the amount of retail outlets that have opened up in Navan are a very good indication of how Navan is growing and getting more attractive by the day. And there are lots more big named retail outlets building this year - River Island, TKMaxx etc... So before you all slate Navan, take a look at your own town. Somebody mentioned kells, Athboy and Trim as being above Navan! I laughed out loud at that statement. Kells is a hole that hasn't had a face lift in a hundred years. It is so depressing to drive through! And drive through is all you could really do! It is not a place to stop by! Athboy is stuck in the 1950's and full of farmers. And as for Trim! Thats full of gurriers, so much anti-social behaviour its unbelievable. Just read our local paper the Meath Chronicle and you will see how many undesirables are plaguing older residents in their homes with bricks through windows etc. They also wear their caps at a 90 degree angle! Ha ha! - Beautiful Castle though!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

After living in navan most of my life, id say hop on a bus and head to dublin!

Advertisement