Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea v Liverpool X - Match Thread 14/4/09

• 13-04-2009 1:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

a11z.jpg

So Liverpool need to win by three goals which seems immensely difficult but if the Istanbul final thought us anything then Liverpool can certainly do the impossible.

Liverpool have met Chelsea in each of the last five seasons in the Champions League.

The team drawn at home in the first leg on each of the last three meetings in the knockout stages has been eliminated.

Liverpool have played Chelsea 23 times in four-and-a-half seasons since Rafael Benitez arrived on Merseyside, winning seven and losing 10.
    Fernando Torres has scored five goals in his five appearances against the Blues.

Didier Drogba has scored in his last four Champions League matches.
    Chelsea have scored the most headed goals, five.

Liverpool have scored the most goals from set-piece situations, seven.
    Chelsea have got the most prolific defenders, four goals in nine games so far.

Chelsea have been caught offside in the competition more than any other team so far - 38 times.

The Blues have conceded the most fouls, 160.

On only three occasions has a team come back from two goals behind after the first leg to reach the next round in the Champions League - Chelsea were involved in one of those when in 2000 they won 3-1 at home against Barcelona before suffering a 1-5 defeat in Spain.

Chelsea have never conceded three goals at home in the Champions League.

Liverpool have scored three or more goals in Champions League away games on six occasions, last time against PSV in December 2008.

Liverpool have never won an away game against another English side in Champions League.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Champions League - Gerrard winning fitness race

Steven Gerrard is winning his battle to lead Liverpool into Tuesday night's Champions League quarter-final second leg at Chelsea.

Gerrard was rested on Saturday by boss Rafael Benitez from the 4-0 win over Blackburn at Anfield following scans that showed a recurrence of the Liverpool skipper's groin injury.

But Benitez confirmed on Monday that Gerrard was responding to treatment and will travel to London, with Liverpool 3-1 down from the first leg.

Benitez said: "Steven is getting better, he has been working with the physio and will train on Monday.

"We will then discuss the situation with the doctors, but Steven will travel with the party to London and I will make a decision on Tuesday."

But it is becoming increasingly likely that Benitez will take the "calculated gamble" of using Gerrard from the start at Stamford Bridge.

He said: "Obviously we do not want him to break down again, he could then be out for 10 to 16 days. But the injury is not a massive one, it will be a calculated gamble to play him but one that I will consider.

"We are 3-1 down and we know that everything can change if we have Steven in the side and he plays well."

Benitez will have midfielder Javier Mascherano back from suspension, and reports that Liverpool have no other injury problems.

Michael Essien is ready to sacrifice his all-action style in order to do another shackling job on Gerrard.

Essien's man-marking job on the England midfielder was among the chief reasons why Chelsea ran out comfortable winners.

Liverpool must score at least three goals at Stamford Bridge to stand any chance of turning the tie in their favour but the Ghana international is ready to stifle Gerrard once more if coach Guus Hiddink asks him.

Essien was rested for Chelsea's 4-3 Barclays Premier League win over Bolton on Saturday but he will return to the line-up as Hiddink's side look for a place in the last four.

He has spent much of the season on the sidelines following a knee ligament injury sustained on international duty but he returned to score a vital goal as Chelsea earned a crucial 2-2 draw to see off Juventus in the last round.

"Everybody said I must have been very happy with the goal, but for me, it is all about the team work," said Essien.

"We did a good job in Turin and it was a very positive result, so that is what is most important. I don't play for myself, I play for the team.

"I'd describe myself as a box-to-box midfielder, but I'll always respect the manager's decision, wherever I'm picked to play.

"Against Juventus it was a tactical move to put me on the right to try to stop the runs of Pavel Nedved.

"I always listen to the manager and I just go onto the field for every game and do what he asks me to do. So I don't really mind where I play as long as I'm out there doing a job for the team and the manager."

The arrival of Hiddink as interim coach has transformed Chelsea's fortunes. The side appeared to be struggling to cope under former boss Luiz Felipe Scolari but the Dutchman has made a massive difference.

Hiddink insists that he will walk away from Chelsea at the end of the season and return to coaching Russia on a full-time basis but Essien says the team are desperate to send him on his way with a trophy.

"He knows how to talk to his players and he has his own style which is very different to the others I've played for here," revealed Essien.

"Hopefully we can win something for him before he leaves. But we'll see what happens, We've got some really big games coming up that aren't going to be easy.

"We'll just have to try our best and make sure we win those games."

Meanwhile, captain John Terry, suspended for the return leg, has warned his team-mates about becoming complacent against Rafael Benitez's Reds.

Chelsea were 4-0 up with 20 minutes remaining against Bolton but then conceded three goals in nine amazing minutes to provide them with a timely wake-up call.

"Let's get something straight," declared Terry. "Liverpool won the Champions League by coming back from three goals down at half-time in the 2005 final, so there must be no complacency.

"It was a fantastic performance by us at Anfield to score three away goals but it hasn't won us the tie. We have to give another similar performance next Tuesday to do that."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/13042009/58/champions-league-gerrard-winning-fitness-race.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Early Goal from Chelsea, Liverpool to rally and win the game but not go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

looking forward to this one

should be another epic match

liverpool have to score 3 goals dont they but what happens if chelsea score ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Scoring 3 easy, not conceeding against Chelsea while doing so - hard :(

Make it so.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,595 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Headshot wrote: »
    looking forward to this one

should be another epic match

liverpool have to score 3 goals dont they but what happens if chelsea score ?

Doesn't mean that much, if they score we still need 3 to force extra time. If we won 2-4 we would go through on away goal.

Chelsea massive favourites but the game balance will change as goals go in. Any goal in first half for Liverpool and then only needing 2 with most of game left will be doable. If we got the second and chelsea haven't scored then they will have to push out a lot looking for a goal as the 3rd would win it for Liverpool if they don't score. Then if Livepool got the 4th, Chelsea would need to score 3 or be out.

There will no doubt be chances at both ends, if will depend on who puts them away better. Eg if Kuyt had put away the chance just after Chelsea equalized it would have been a different game. As it would have been if Drogba put away the 2 early chances he had.

Having scored 4 in 4 or last 6 games the players will know it is possible but they just need to take it a goal at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

0-0,1-0,2-0

Saturday should be just the shock Chelsea need to maintain a lead and if Essien can play like he did last time they have absolutely no chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Bye bye Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

4-2, Liverpool through!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I'm actually looking forward to this game more than the first one because we are huge underdogs and pretty much have nothing to lose, bar maybe pride, and a place in the semi's, but still, I think the players and Rafa will relish the challenge and as long as we win the match I'll be relatively happy tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Holsten wrote: »
    4-2, Liverpool through!

that would make it 7-3 to cheslea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I just cant see us going through unfortunately. Its possible, but highly unlikely. If we get an early goal, its all to play for though. Anything is possible though, we could be awarded a late penalty or Chelsea could have a man sent off...thats the beauty of football, you never know whats gonna happen!

Best we can hope for is a 3-1 win and then try to go through on extra time/penos.

mike65 wrote: »
    Scoring 3 easy

heh.

i have to give you credit for your optimism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I wonder will we play Mikel and Essien to try and close down the match or will it be Essien and Ballack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Terry to get sent off and Torres to score a Hat-Trick.!:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    Terry to get sent off and Torres to score a Hat-Trick.!:D:D

Terry's suspended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

It is obviously going to be an extremely difficult task but I am surprisingly optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

monkey9 wrote: »
    Terry's suspended
    Jaysus thanks I forgot about that.!

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

It is obviously going to be an extremely difficult task but I am surprisingly optimistic.

Have to say, so am I. According to 99% of supporters think we're out already. I feel that in the dressing room before kick off it'll be all about we've nothing to lose and Bolton put 3 past them so.............We've been scoring for fun recently, (won't talk about fulham since on another day it'd have been 4-0), and I'm really looking forward to this match.

Maybe I'm more confident since there's no fear about this game. Like Mike said, scoring 3 is gonna be alot easier than keeping a clean sheet!

Bring it on I say!:)

going for 3-0 liverpool and a Torres hatrick

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

If Bolton can score 3 goals against them so can Liverpool well maybe :D

• Advertisement

~Marky~ wrote: »

that's a bit like saying if hull can get a draw against liverpool so can chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

~Marky~ wrote: »

Bolton scored 3 against Chelsea when they were 4-0 up and cruising, it's not like Bolton were beating Chelsea 3-0 at one stage of the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

98fm just said Boswinga will miss out with injury.

More good news.

redout wrote: »
    98fm just said Boswinga will miss out with injury.

More good news.

hatrick for ivanovic then ;)

11-1 to score anytime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ntlbell wrote: »
    that's a bit like saying if hull can get a draw against liverpool so can chelsea

how exactly? liverpool are better than bolton if i'm not mistaken.

i'm pretty sure we won't do it, but saying bolton did it so Liverpool could is a perfectly reasonable rallying cry.

but then again you know that, you're just being difficult ;)

SlickRic wrote: »
    how exactly? liverpool are better than bolton if i'm not mistaken.

i'm pretty sure we won't do it, but saying bolton did it so Liverpool could is a perfectly reasonable rallying cry.

but then again you know that, you're just being difficult ;)

no i'm making the same argument you are.

Liverpool are better than bolton. bolton got 3 against chelsea so liverpool should.

Chelsea are better than Hull, Hull got a draw against liverpool so chelsea should?

It's all nonsense.

Liverpool are better than bolton. bolton got 3 against chelsea so liverpool should.

Chelsea are better than Hull, Hull got a draw against liverpool so chelsea should?

It's all nonsense.

fair enough, i do see what you were saying now cheers. and i agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

It's all nonsense.

I believe the point that was being made was that Chelsea have conceded 3 goals at the bridge to lesser teams than Liverpool. So its not unreasonable to say its possible for Liverpool to do it. If we can win 4-1 in old trafford, we can win 4-1 at stamford bridge. its unlikely though, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Jesus there s a lot of rubbish being talked so far in this thread!

Anyway i'd like to see this team out

Reina
    Arb---Agger--Skrtel--Aureilo
    Masch

Alonso
    -Kuyt----Gerrard---Riera/Yossi
    Torres

It's probably unlikely to drop carra but i personally think this line up would be more attacking and better equiped to retain the ball.

I wouldn't mind seeing benayoun start instead of kuyt either.

It's great to see masch will be back and terry out so there's diffently a chance. I can see us winning but i don't know if it will be enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Strange strange game this. No one could have predicated Chelsea beating us 3-1 at Anfield but in a weird way i'm very optimistic about tomorrow night. Have a few quid on a Liverpool 4-2 win and with Terry suspended can see us having a real go at them. Put it this way,if any team at this moment can go to the bridge and score 3 or 4 it's the reds. Yeah that's it i've convinced myself. Two from Torres and one each for Reira and super Dirk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

totally off topic

but i never removed anything you said.

the only thing i ever removed was the league table.

unlucky ;)

but to get to your topic it's absolute nonsense.

you could only manage 1 against fullham

chelsea is better then fullham so in theory chelsea should win?

This is like what 12yr olds talk about in the school yard.

If you want to say Fulham who is the only top 4 side to leave a league game at Fulham with all 3 points this season?

*coughs* Liverpool

Oh you come out of the woodwork for this game knowing its hard for Liverpool?

I think getting 3 goals can be done but it will be hard.

Get an early goal and I can see Chelsea getting the jitters without Terry.

Need some good luck for this game but it can be done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Off topic drivel removed. If you have a problem with someone either report them/the issue or take it to PM.

This is a MATCH thread, nothing else.

Cheers

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Extra time, penalties, and non-serious short term injuries (5 days will do) for Drogba and Essien please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Anyone who thinks that Liverpool can go through is insane (and that's a big statement coming from me).

Don't get me wrong, I'm a massive optomist, and always think that Liverpool can overcome massive challenges. But I mean, come on, scoring 3 against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge? Yes, Bolton did it at the weekend, but Chelsea were already 4-0 up, and so they shut down. They won't do that against Liverpool.

Earlier in the season, it took a lucky deflection to beat them at The Bridge. Does anyone think we REALLY can do it?

IMO, Liverpool will just win, but certainly not qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I wouldn't put anything past Liverpool, even if the task in front of them is monumental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I wouldn't say it's Mission Impossible for Liverpool but it's Mission Extremely Unlikely.

I think Liverpool might well edge it 2-1 but I can't see Chelsea having a dramatic collapse on their own turf, even without Terry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

cant see why liverpool cant do it tomorrow night, massive underdogs, all the pressure off cos we're expected to lose, need to score 3 without conceding. Only difference is we've 90 minutes this time as opposed to 45.

Come on Liverpool!!!!!!
    Always Possible
    rafa-benitez-banner-big-200.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I honestly think Liverpool will go through tomorrow. Chelsea's complacency against Bolton has me convinced.

No way would I put money on it though!

kinaldo wrote: »
    I honestly think Liverpool will go through tomorrow. Chelsea's complacency against Bolton has me convinced.

No way would I put money on it though!

Essien wasnt playing mate

says it all :)

and if you want me to go into more details After sixty-six minutes Frank and drogba were subbed

if Chelsea park the bus then I can't see Liverpool winning by the desired margin, but write them off at your peril.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I just can't see past Chelsea going through. With Liverpool needing 3 I just feel the longer the game goes on the more they will leave them exposed at the back. Terry missing is only a big loss if Carvalho isn't starting. From what I've seen of Bosingwa he's something else getting forward but has been at blame for a few goals this season.

Bosingwa is injured, isn't he? And Carvalho will come in for Terry I'd imagine.

besides myself anyone else mad enough to put money on liverpool going through?

Its only 11/1 to go through.

Essien wasnt playing mate

says it all :)

and if you want me to go into more details After sixty-six minutes Frank and drogba were subbed

unfortunately, this is the crux of it here.

we need essien and to a lesser extent drogba, to have a very very off day to score 3 and/or win by 2.

with essien out of the picture, lampard wouldn't have been half as effective last week.

the bolton finale at the weekend merely gives rafa and stevie a rallying call. it won't make a difference to the chelsea mindset.

mike65 wrote: »
    Its only 11/1 to go through.

you'd expect better odds than that tbh

disappointing

might go for some silly bets

torres to score a hattrick @ 80-1 :pac:

You could try Bayern at 33/1 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

well I put myself out of my misery and lumped on pool to get through, least i will have winnings over it.

fcuk hoffenheim, german bastards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

you'd expect better odds than that tbh

disappointing

might go for some silly bets

torres to score a hattrick @ 80-1 :pac:

what u expect with pp, they are tighter than a ducks crack.

They had odds on some team losing 3:0 to win a game once, odds were like 5/1.. with about 3 minutes to go..lol

what u expect with pp, they are tighter than a ducks crack.

They had odds on some team losing 3:0 to win a game once, odds were like 5/1.. with about 3 minutes to go..lol

who do you use then x in the city

• Advertisement
Advertisement