Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea v Liverpool X - Match Thread 14/4/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It's official, Dunphy is an idiot!!!

Someone give him a microphone and brick wall as a backround

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Brilliant match.

I reckon Liverpool will win the league now. They are a quality side and have more bottle than United.

I kinda hope that they don't win the league because at the start of the season I said to one of my friends that if Liverpool win the league Newcastle will be relegated...... I wish I wasn't so predictable.

I hope the rest of the CL is like this. Hoping for an explosive match tomorrow and for the rest of the campaign.

Liverpool fans can be proud of their team tonight. Came back into it very well after thinking all hope was lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Stekelly wrote: »
    I have no issues with being beaten, especially the way that game went.

Some very basic and horrendous defensive mistakes for the last 2 goals though.

Drogba though has dug himself right down to El Hadj Diouf levels for me though. (the only way to go lower btw would be to pop out in Australia)

Agree well done chelsea entertaing stuff but drogba spoils the match. NO one else acted so petulant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

I get a bad feeling that a couple of Barcelona fans will be laughing after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Liam O wrote: »
    Jesus christ stop moaning about the ref, maybe if Liverpool had've defended in the 2nd half they would be celebrating. If you let in 4 goals you can't blame the ref for getting knocked out

Actually I can, Alex's goal, never a free kick. That ref gave way too many decisions to Chelsea after the penalty, just how much he indulged the likes of Drogba was simply embarassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,562 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Although I'm disappointed, I'm proud to be a Liverpool supporter tonight!

If somebody told me before the game that Liverpool would score 4 I'd have laughed at them. If they'd told me they'd score 4 and still go out I'd have hit them!

Proud how the team never know when they're beat.
    Delighted to see how they can play without Gerrard.
    Proud of the fans who always sing till the very end no matter what.

Little less proud of defensive errors and Rafa's subs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Anyone know what Benitez said to Hiddink at the end there? Looked like it was something sore-loser-ish by the look on Hiddink's face.

Dunphy is an eejit if he thinks that was a bad game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Drogba is a disgrace of a player, absolutely disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

monkey9 wrote: »
    It's official, Dunphy is an idiot!!!

Someone give him a microphone and brick wall as a backround

Ah leave Eamonn alone ;)

He's very entertaining :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Goals don't change games, people do.

correct jim.

and the best players changed it tonight

• Advertisement

Jesus christ stop moaning about the ref, maybe if Liverpool had've defended in the 2nd half they would be celebrating. If you let in 4 goals you can't blame the ref for getting knocked out

who's moaning about the ref?

Chelsea over two legs deserved it. Pool made one hell of a fight of it and fair play to Chelsea for coming back twice tonight. They will be hard beaten imo.

EDIT . Liverpool are sh1te without Gerrard :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

That_Guy wrote: »
    Brilliant match.

I reckon Liverpool will win the league now. They are a quality side and have more bottle than United.

I kinda hope that they don't win the league because at the start of the season I said to one of my friends that if Liverpool win the league Newcastle will be relegated...... I wish I wasn't so predictable.

I hope the rest of the CL is like this. Hoping for an explosive match tomorrow and for the rest of the campaign.

Liverpool fans can be proud of their team tonight. Came back into it very well after thinking all hope was lost.

yeah quality :rolleyes: let in how many goals tonight? beat Stoke how many times this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

people calling drogba a lot of thing but jesus when he is up for it he has no peers absolutely terrorised carragher and co over two legs

What is Dunphy's definition of an exciting game I wonder?

Absolute fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Giles needed to be reminded how the game finished there.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

That was, without a shadow of a doubt, the greatest game of football this season, maybe this millenium. The ups and downs on both sides were incredible, the momentum swinging like a pendulum.

All 22+ players, the managers, and the fans deserve all the credit in the world for creating such an amazing atmosphere, and a cracking game. I honestly felt like cheering myself at the end of the game, just for the performances that all the players put in.

Liverpool didn't go through, but it was certainly a game that the 96 Hillsborough victims would have loved, and that match was only an inch off the best way to celebrate them.

So let's hear three cheers for everyone involved in this amazing match, that we will all remember:

Hip hip,...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Actually I can, Alex's goal, never a free kick. That ref gave way too many decisions to Chelsea after the penalty, just how much he indulged the likes of Drogba was simply embarassing.

You got the decisions in last season cl match against Arsenal, you didn't tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

That_Guy wrote: »
    Brilliant match.

You cursed Newcastle :eek:

It's all your fault if they get relegated I'll be hunting you down :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

2 drunks down an alley - good auld eamo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Houghton got it right.

If it was cagey stuff Dunphy would be giving out.

If that was a certain team that won tonight, Dunphy would be singing their praises and saying how wonderful a club they are.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

yeah quality :rolleyes: let in how many goals tonight? beat Stoke how many times this season?

Credit where credit is due mate. They really put up a fight and for the majority of the game brought the game to Chelsea.

I'm not a huge fan of Liverpool at all but they were great tonight even without Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

people calling drogba a lot of thing but jesus when he is up for it he has no peers absolutely terrorised carragher and co over two legs

If he played his game properly he'd be great to watch. He's dispicable the way he goes on though and that ruins it for me. He falls over as soon as someone looks at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

when drogba is on song he's one of the best strikers in the world

rarnes1 wrote: »
    who's moaning about the ref?

Chelsea over two legs deserved it. Pool made one hell of a fight of it and fair play to Chelsea for coming back twice tonight. They will be hard beaten imo.

EDIT . Liverpool are sh1te without Gerrard :p

I've read at least 10 comments since the game ended saying how bad the ref was. THe referee wasn't the root of Liverpool's failure tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Bad as RTE are they can't be worse than the analysts on ITV, including Mr Joe Cole: "Lampsy's giving me a bit of banter there ha ha, no seriously great effort by the lads ..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Now I know why I hate Chelsea. Drogba is a cheat, a disgrace. When he rolled back onto the pitch, that was it for me.....

And all his feigned injuries in the second half....

A Cheat :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

There was definitely something there between Hiddink and Benitez at the end of the match. Something to do with the dives by some of the Chelsea players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ah, give it over. If a game like tonight's doesn't make you want to post in a positive fashion, what game will?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    That was, without a shadow of a doubt, the greatest game of football this season, maybe this millenium. The ups and downs on both sides were incredible, the momentum swinging like a pendulum.

All 22+ players, the managers, and the fans deserve all the credit in the world for creating such an amazing atmosphere, and a cracking game. I honestly felt like cheering myself at the end of the game, just for the performances that all the players put in.

Liverpool didn't go through, but it was certainly a game that the 96 Hillsborough victims would have loved, and that match was only an inch off the best way to celebrate them.

So let's hear three cheers for everyone involved in this amazing match, that we will all remember:

Hip hip,...
    Hmmmmmmmm :S

I thought this would have been your match of the milennium:

lpoolDM_468x329.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Credit to Chelsea for prevailing over two superb legs. I still hate Drogba though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Lol @ Shaka Hislop as the studio analyst on ESPN!

If either of the games tomorrow are half as entertaining as this one tonight I'll be very pleased.

I think tomorrow's result in Porto will be as relevant to the Premier League title race as tonight's one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If only there had of been a Fan Zone.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I dont care if he terrorised Carragher and co, there isn't a professional bone in his body.
    The way he behaved tonight, if it was any other sport he would be hung out to dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Congrats to Chelsea.

What a game.
    If you've got to get knocked out of the Cl go out fighting.
    I'm a very proud fan tonight.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

What a match. Chelsea deserve their place in the next round, but I'm incredibly proud of Liverpool Football Club tonight. The players on the pitch gave their all right until the very end, and I don't think the fans ever really gave up either.

(What the hell can you say about the Chelsea fans booing their team off at half time.. WTF!!?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Headshot wrote: »
    when drogba is on song he's one of the best strikers in the world

i honestly don't understand this.....if he's on form sh1te!!

why isn't he on form all the time....or at least most of the time! And why wouldn't he try when Scolari was there?? This bollox about how he wouldn't play for scolari annoys the sh1te out of me - if i were a chelsea fan i wouldn't be a happy camper with him....i mean why does he need a certain manager to play for HIS team??

a load of me bollox :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Chong wrote: »
    Hmmmmmmmm :S

I thought this would have been your match of the milennium:

lpoolDM_468x329.jpg

Given the night and tomorrow, trophies don't matter.

It's how you play the game and conduct yourself.

Pride and dignity.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Ah, give it over. If a game like tonight's doesn't make you want to post in a positive fashion, what game will?

Yeah it was a great game and very entertaining but you can't say either team was 'quality' imo. They were good going forward but equally as bad at the back. Still easily the best match of the season

Could Dunphy be more bitter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Drogba pwned Carragher there. Ballack should have scored tbh.

Sure did makes you wonder about all them "fouls" he gets given to him if he can stand up like that, you think with the shoulder carragher tried he would have ended up in row z they way he was falling about that pitch tonight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Thank F*ck that's over.

My heart has taken a pounding.

Hopefully won't affect Liverpool's form in the league.

Turning point was the Chelsea goal - really got to cut out the OGs - 4th of the season:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

I dont care if he terrorised Carragher and co, there isn't a professional bone in his body.
    The way he behaved tonight, if it was any other sport he would be hung out to dry.

+1
    I thought drogba was a disgrace. The ref however was culpable for allowing Chelsea players to get away with horrific diving all night. Kept blowing up everytime Malouda and Drogba stumbled over a blade of grass. It was a great game but it's difficult to accept the part diving and bad refereeing played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Have to hand it to both teams, as they gave us one of the best games of football....possibly ever! Liverpool couldn't have done anything more and Chelsea were outstanding over the two legs (bar the first half of this game).

I backflipped off the couch on more than one occasion. Ridiculously tense stuff. I really believed we would go through on a number of occasions so its a disappointing result, but I cant fault the effort of the players.The only positive is that we can now concentrate on the league I suppose.

Negatives: The referee was a disgrace. He blew up at EVERY opportunity. Some of the times when a player went down with minimal contact and got a free were brain numbing.

Also, its stupid how low down the pecking order Babel seems to be. Below El Zhar, AND N'Gog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Jesus that was long last 10 minutes...Now to more important issues..who the fúck is gonna go left back and sort out messi..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

spockety wrote: »
    (What the hell can you say about the Chelsea fans booing their team off at half time.. WTF!!?)

Didn't Liverpool fans boo the players off the pitch when they went top of the table after the West Ham match last December?

I don't blame the Chelsea fans for being annoyed tbh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Haha @ Dunphy.. he seems to think that Mascherano is some sort of 20 goal a season wonder who would have ensured more Liverpool goals..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Don't make me laugh. The sort of antics that Drogba engages in are rife in the game, just to varying levels.

As has been stated by a number of posters in this forum, the expectation on a professional is to perform his duties to the best of his ability as an expert, for remuneration. In soccer, this means getting a result on the field of play. Unfortunately this has eroded a lot of the sporting element of the game, yet it's not just one or two individuals who will do anything to win, it's all of them.

It's rife in the game, just some players use it moreso than others. Don't delude yourself into thinking that a professional soccer players aim when they walk out the tunnel is to play fairly, it's to win no matter what the cost. Any player will chance their arm and use every possible angle to get the desired result for their team - victory.

You'll do well to find a player who won't go down in the box under pressure with minutes to go if his team need a late goal. If he gets yellow, so what, he "tried his best". If he gets a penalty, then yahoo - he's performed for his team/organisation.

:rolleyes:

Fair play to Lampard for admitting that they were absolute tripe in the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The "defending" by Aurelio for the 3rd goal just gets worse looking the more I see it. He should be kicked square in the balls for that. The stupid gimp even looked at Lampard twice and never sped up from a jog. Horrendous stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Soby wrote: »
    Jesus that was long last 10 minutes...Now to more important issues..who the fúck is gonna go left back and sort out messi..

Ah take heart, Messi is human...sometimes!

Advertisement