Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea v Liverpool X - Match Thread 14/4/09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

I have that terrible feeling... so I think the pool are gonna do it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Headshot wrote: »
    who do you use then x in the city

PP :mad:

I tried some other accounts but find pp easy to get around

****ing bastards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

PP :mad:

I tried some other accounts but find pp easy to get around

****ing bastards!

bet365 is good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

This match is going to be frustrating to watch.
    I would imagine pool going all out with chelski all out (defence)

If chelsea take the lead I think there is no way back for pool, but an early goal or two for pool could lead to a very exciting game.

So heres to 2 first half goals to liverpool:)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If Chelsea get a man sent off in the first half then we might go through, otherwise it is a massively huge task. I can see the kitchen sink being thrown and conceeding a couple of times and then game over.

Nothing really to lose though I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

you'd expect better odds than that tbh

disappointing

might go for some silly bets

torres to score a hattrick @ 80-1 :pac:

15.0 on Betfair.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

mike65 wrote: »
    You could try Bayern at 33/1 :p

Try, but not win :D

Read today it's 24 games in 5 seasons between the two. It's ridiculous. I don't think it'll be as one-sided as I expected last week to be, but it's an impossible job with the most red tinted glasses I have to hand. Liverpool winning by three goals at Chelsea? Of all places..I'd put more on at HT in Istanbul than that..

Never ever going to happen. I'm more bothered if Messi gets booked in Munich and misses out terrorising John the Magnificent and Frank the Invincible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

dfx- wrote: »
    Try, but not win :D

Read today it's 24 games in 5 seasons between the two. It's ridiculous. I don't think it'll be as one-sided as I expected last week to be, but it's an impossible job with the most red tinted glasses I have to hand. Liverpool winning by three goals at Chelsea? Of all places..I'd put more on at HT in Istanbul than that..

Never ever going to happen. I'm more bothered if Messi gets booked in Munich and misses out terrorising John the Magnificent and Frank the Invincible.

i know liverpool winning by 3 goals at chelsea of all places is madness. almost as insane as doing something lik that at Old Trafford isn't it :rolleyes:

It's much more insane.

Liverpool have a far better record at OT off the top of my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

yeah you're right with the OT record, i just really think we can do it. with the exception of last weeks performance can you think of any other Chelsea performance this year where you wouldn't think we could put 3 by them.

They're not the solid home side this year that they have been in recent years you know

I would say that when under Hiddink, they look as formidable than ever..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I found some interesting stats for the build-up to the game which some of you might enjoy:
    - In order to reach the semi-finals Liverpool will have to become the first visiting team ever to score three goals at Stamford Bridge in a European game.

- If Liverpool bow out of the competition tonight it will be only the fourth time in 14 quarter-finals they have been eliminated. Their previous defeats came at the hands of CSKA Sofia (1982), Widzew Lodz (1983) and Bayer Leverkusen (2002).

- The Reds have won just four of the previous 17 games in Europe against English opposition drawing seven times and losing six.

- Liverpool have never beaten an English team in European competition away from home. In eight trips they have drawn four and lost four scoring just four goals.

- The Reds have scored only twice in four previous Champions League visits to Stamford Bridge.

- Gerrard has scored 32 goals in Europe, the most by any British player for one English club. His next goal will take him past Alan Shearer whose 32 goals came with two clubs (30 for Newcastle and 2 for Blackburn). He is still some way behind Ruud Van Nistelrooy who scored 38 for Manchester United while Thierry Henry has hit the most for a British club - 42 for Arsenal.

- No player has ever scored a hat-trick for Liverpool at Stamford Bridge while Chelsea's last against the Reds came from George Mills on this ground in August 1937.

- The Reds biggest victory on this ground came in December 1989 when they won 5-2 in the league on the way to winning their last title. Since then they have won twice in 25 visits in all competitions without scoring three in a game.

- Only twice in 75 visits have Liverpool achieved a result at Stamford Bridge that would earn them outright victory in the tie. On another two occasions they have won 3-1 which would take it into extra time.

- Only once in seven attempts have Liverpool successfully overturned a two-goal first leg deficit in Europe. That was in a UEFA Cup tie in 1991 when they beat Auxerre 3-0 after losing the first leg in France.

- Chelsea have lost only three times in Europe at Stamford Bridge. They were beaten by Lazio in 1999-2000, Besiktas in 2003-04 and Barcelona in 2005-06 - all in the European Cup and in none of those games did they concede three goals.

- Their heaviest home defeat in Europe was the 2-0 reverse they suffered at the hands of Besiktas in October 2003.

- They have conceded just one goal in four home ties in this season's Champions League and just three in their last eight games in all competitions.

- Chelsea have lost just five of their last 150 home games in all competitions with two of those coming in a penalty shoot-out (Charlton and Burnley in the League Cup). Barcelona, Liverpool and Arsenal were the others.

- However, three of those have been in the last 17 at Stamford Bridge - all when Luis Felipe Scolari was in charge.

- The last time they conceded three goals in a home game was in December 2007 when they drew 4-4 with Aston Villa. (Up until this weekend that is...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

1-16 - Chelsea to go thru says it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

whats the story with Steven Gerrard

rafa going to chance him?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

whats the story with Steven Gerrard

rafa going to chance him?

Yep looks like it...from BBC website:

Rafael Benitez is ready to gamble on Steven Gerrard's fitness as Liverpool try to overturn a 3-1 Champions League deficit against Chelsea on Tuesday. Gerrard has a groin strain but trained on Monday and manager Benitez said: "It is not a massive risk if we use him.
    "If we lose a player for 10 to 14 days it will be bad but would only affect one game. It's a calculated risk.
    "We've been written off but with Steven and Fernando Torres together on the pitch we have a good chance."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm just hoping that we can roll up the sleeves and fight the whole way through the game. If we put in a decent performance and do as much as is possible, I'll be happy.

We didn't play badly last week tbh, Chelsea were simply awesome. If they match that level again tonight there isn't a hope in hell of a miracle happening. Any slim to non existent chances we have rest on Chelsea being below par and us playing out of our skins...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Bolton put 3 past Chelsea over the weekend in a matter of minutes so it is possible:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Anyone thing that Liverpool should go three at the back with Masch in front of them and then everyone else given a free reign to attack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Could happen. There is a defo a reason for Agger being used over the weekend. I think it is to get him ready for this match but you never know. Skrtel had a pretty poor game in the first leg so maybe he rested him due to tiredness. 3 at the back would be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Surely you Liverpool fans must take hope from the fact that Andy O Brien found a way past Cech at the weekend. I don't think it's gonna be as cut and dry as people think giving how leeky Chelsea's defence has been this year particularly at home. If they ship an early goal anything can happen, my mind goes back to A.C Milan vs Depor of few years back where Depor overturned a crushing 4-1 defeat to go through 5-4 on aggregate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

emc2 wrote: »
    Anyone thing that Liverpool should go three at the back with Masch in front of them and then everyone else given a free reign to attack?

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

In the back of my mind I think the Gerrard story may be mind games....mainly due to the fact that Essien did such a good job on him in the last game, so Essien's at home now thinking....will he, won't he play tonight?.... and not getting too hyped up in himself!

Prediction: Masch to rough Essien up, protect Gerrrard, Gerrard to score 2 with Torres the other.....1-3 and Liverpool to win on penos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I don't think it's gonna be as cut and dry as people think giving how leeky Chelsea's defence has been this year particularly at home.

Before the weekend they had only conceeded 8 at home, joint best home defense in the league.

In Europe they have the best home defensive record only conceeding 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Liverpool at 43/1 on Betfair is ludicrous. Villareal are the same odds for god sake. Was gonna have a punt if I could get 100/1 or something like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Liverpool at 43/1 on Betfair is ludicrous. Villareal are the same odds for god sake. Was gonna have a punt if I could get 100/1 or something like that

43/1 to go through or to win outright?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

emc2 wrote: »
    Hope not. We have more than enough to beat them by a couple of goals in a high scoring match with our usual formation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Villareal are 43-1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I'm not saying we'll win, but I think it'll be 1-2 with 10 minutes to go.

Now if it is, it comes down to heart, commitment, and the ability to win games in the last 10 mins.

Liverpool have proven we have this in Europe over the last 5 years.
    Not to mention the fact that we've proven it in the prem.
    We've won more games in the last 10 minutes than anyone else.

And one of those was against Chelsea!

The last time I was this excited about a CL game, we beat Arsenal 4-2 in an incredible game.

I have the same feeling tonight.

My prediction....

Either 1-2 or 1-3.

If it goes to extra time, i's anyones game.

C'mon the Redmen!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Boggles wrote: »
    43/1 to go through or to win outright?

Yep 43/1 to win it outright, as are Villareal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I reckon Mascherano's absence made all the difference in the first leg. If he had of been there then I couldnt have seen Essien bossing that game to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I recon the following will happen:

10 Mins: Drogba will hit the bar/post.

upto 25 mins: chelsea will remain tough in defence until Torres nips one.

35 minutes: Gerrard will drag a good save out of Cech and from the corner Kuyt will Score.

Then it will be a nervey final 55 minutes! And Babel to come on and score the third!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

We all realise it's a massive ask of Liverpool and of course they are big underdogs to make the semis but if i've learned anything the last few years,it's to NEVER EVER write them off.

The fat lady hasn't sung just yet,there's a whole 90 minutes of football to play,and the circumstances dictate that this could be a corker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

There are some amount of deluded comments here. If this was half time in a match then they would be effectively 4-1 down (taking the away goal into account).

And when have Liverpool ever scored 3 goals in the 2nd half of a Champions League game?

oh yeah..

Anyway its too much of an ask. Pool fans predicting 4-2 and 4-1 scorelines are off their rocker. This is a much improved Chelsea team playing at home. Get real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Nothing wrong with a bit of hope. In saying that a good performance and a victory will do me tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

lets have some positive energy here! yes, its a massive task for liverpool and chelsea were on fire last week but this is a liverpool team well capable of banging in lots of goals.

jonny24ie wrote: »

35 minutes: Gerrard will drag a good save out of Cech and from the corner Kuyt will Score.

Then it will be a nervey final 55 minutes! And Babel to come on and score the third!

could you at least be little bit more specific? Is the corner from the left or right?

Which way will the wind be blowing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

Even at 3-1 up this will be another nerve racking game. Thank god one of europes and certainly our best defender (Carvalho) is back. Anything could happen. Isnt tonights ref spanish? God I can't wait till this is over with. I'll go 1-1 on the night..... hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

jonny24ie wrote: »

Then in the 85-90th mins Cech lofts one up to Drogba who cracks one past Reina. Everyone thinks it's going to extra time until Gerrard boots a ball off the back of Torres' head which rebounds into the path of Anelka who sticks it in the top corner, then runs to the Liverpool section of the crowd who are now in tears and turns his back to them to show his name on the shirt, just in case they had forgotten him. :D

Hey if you can dream up some crap so can I.

quarryman wrote: »
    There are some amount of deluded comments here. If this was half time in a match then they would be effectively 4-1 down (taking the away goal into account).

And when have Liverpool ever scored 3 goals in the 2nd half of a Champions League game?

oh yeah..

Anyway its too much of an ask. Pool fans predicting 4-2 and 4-1 scorelines are off their rocker. This is a much improved Chelsea team playing at home. Get real.

Oh, so it's impossible to think that we can score 3 goals against Chelsea at home.
    I mean you're probably right, the last time that happened was........well 3 days ago. Against Bolton.

But Liverpool could never beat Chelsea.
    I mean we haven't beaten them in like......2 and a half months.

But that was at home.
    I mean when was the last time we beat them at the bridge?
    Oh yeah!

But this is Europe that's different.
    Liverpool never come from behind to win in Europe!
    Do they?!

But it doesn't matter.
    Chelsea may have consedded 3 goals a few days ago, but they scored 4.
    I mean Liverpool can't score, and are conceding left right and center aren't they.
    I mean besides the first leg, we've scored 21 and conceded 1 in our last 7 games.
    Oopps.

But as you said, Chelsea are in form.
    Loosing to Totenham, and then scrapping a victory at home to Bolton after leading 4-0.
    Great form.

You know lads, he's right.
    Liverpool shouldn't even bother showing up tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Anyone know anything about betfair ? Clicked on a banner that said "free 25 pound bet on Liverpool v Chelsea for new customers". So I clicked on it, signed up and deposited a bit of money in my account...but cant find any more info on the free bet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

could you at least be little bit more specific? Is the corner from the left or right?

Which way will the wind be blowing?
    Lol. What will the ref be wearing :D

I mean you're probably right, the last time that happened was........well 3 days ago. Against Bolton.

i was actually refering to the AC game...

Probably should turn on your sarcasm detector and switch off your rant generator.

Oh, so it's impossible to think that we can score 3 goals against Chelsea at home.

But Liverpool could never beat Chelsea.
    I mean we haven't beaten them in like......2 and a half months.

But that was at home.
    I mean when was the last time we beat them at the bridge?
    Oh yeah!

But this is Europe that's different.
    Liverpool never come from behind to win in Europe!
    Do they?!

But it doesn't matter.
    Chelsea may have consedded 3 goals a few days ago, but they scored 4.
    I mean Liverpool can't score, and are conceding left right and center aren't they.
    I mean besides the first leg, we've scored 21 and conceded 1 in our last 7 games.
    Oopps.

But as you said, Chelsea are in form.
    Loosing to Totenham, and then scrapping a victory at home to Bolton after leading 4-0.
    Great form.

You know lads, he's right.
    Liverpool shouldn't even bother showing up tonight!

In order to reach the semi-finals Liverpool will have to become the first visiting team ever to score three goals at Stamford Bridge in a European game.

Liverpool have never beaten an English team in European competition away from home. In eight trips they have drawn four and lost four scoring just four goals.

Only twice in 75 visits have Liverpool achieved a result at Stamford Bridge that would earn them outright victory in the tie. On another two occasions they have won 3-1 which would take it into extra time.

Only once in seven attempts have Liverpool successfully overturned a two-goal first leg deficit in Europe. That was in a UEFA Cup tie in 1991 when they beat Auxerre 3-0 after losing the first leg in France.

Chelsea have lost only three times in Europe at Stamford Bridge. They were beaten by Lazio in 1999-2000, Besiktas in 2003-04 and Barcelona in 2005-06 - all in the European Cup and in none of those games did they concede three goals.

They have conceded just one goal in four home ties in this season's Champions League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Stats are there to be changed.

Not anying it'll happen but stats do not guarantee anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Anyone know what the odds are on liverpool winning the game tonight and getting through to the next round.

3 - 0 was 40 - 1 on sat, 100 - 1 for a torres hat trick.

Is that the same cant get onto any betting sites in work.

• Advertisement

i was actually refering to the AC game...

Probably should turn on your sarcasm detector and switch off your rant generator.

You said it's impossible for Liverpool to win.

It's not.

And you also forgot the Olympiacos game.

0-1 down at half time.
    Had to win 3-1 in the second game.

Maybe if you turned off your overbearing arrogance generator....

quarryman wrote:

You reffered once to the AC game, in a post which was 90% "you have no chance".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

To be honest all the stats in teh world count for nothing as far as I'm concerned. Can Liverpool score 3 tonight? Yes, but its keeping the door shut at the back thats the problem. If Liverpool score 3 could Chelsea also score 3? yes absolutely.

I think this tie is far from over but it is difficult for Liverpool. That said, many a good team has completely collapsed in Europe before. I guess we will have to wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Anyone know what the odds are on liverpool winning the game tonight and getting through to the next round.

3 - 0 was 40 - 1 on sat, 100 - 1 for a torres hat trick.

Is that the same cant get onto any betting sites in work.

taken from pp

well liverpool are 25-1 for a 3 - 0(was 50-1)

torres price has come down very quickly indeed
    it was 80-1 now its 66-1

iregk wrote: »
    To be honest all the stats in teh world count for nothing as far as I'm concerned. Can Liverpool score 3 tonight? Yes, but its keeping the door shut at the back thats the problem. If Liverpool score 3 could Chelsea also score 3? yes absolutely.

I think this tie is far from over but it is difficult for Liverpool. That said, many a good team has completely collapsed in Europe before. I guess we will have to wait and see.

That's true, records and stats are there to be broken. I hope it's tight at the end one way or the other, would like to see a good game of it.

deisedevil wrote: »
    In order to reach the semi-finals Liverpool will have to become the first visiting team ever to score three goals at Stamford Bridge in a European game.

Liverpool have never beaten an English team in European competition away from home. In eight trips they have drawn four and lost four scoring just four goals.

Only twice in 75 visits have Liverpool achieved a result at Stamford Bridge that would earn them outright victory in the tie. On another two occasions they have won 3-1 which would take it into extra time.

Only once in seven attempts have Liverpool successfully overturned a two-goal first leg deficit in Europe. That was in a UEFA Cup tie in 1991 when they beat Auxerre 3-0 after losing the first leg in France.

Chelsea have lost only three times in Europe at Stamford Bridge. They were beaten by Lazio in 1999-2000, Besiktas in 2003-04 and Barcelona in 2005-06 - all in the European Cup and in none of those games did they concede three goals.

They have conceded just one goal in four home ties in this season's Champions League.

And nobody's saying it's easy.
    In fact most of as are saying it's too much.

But to say it's impossible is plain wrong.
    And to call fans of Livepool delusional, for thinking it's never over in Europe, is beyond delusional!

• Advertisement
Advertisement