Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea v Liverpool X - Match Thread 14/4/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

i have never been so disappointed as a liverpool fan. if someone said to me ye'd score 4 tonight i'd have danced around, if someone said 4 all i'd have hit them cos i hate stupidity. 7-5 on aggregate two legs of excellent games from the two ahem "most boring teams around".

Well done to Chelsea they deserved it, whatever people think about tonight and could we have won they must remember it should have been over last week if drogba had a pair of boots on let alone scoring boots. Either way well done to chelsea i'm bitterly disappointed but still scoring 4 at the bridge is never a bad way to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Iang87 wrote: »
    i have never been so disappointed as a liverpool fan. if someone said to me ye'd score 4 tonight i'd have danced around, if someone said 4 all i'd have hit them cos i hate stupidity. 7-5 on aggregate two legs of excellent games from the two ahem "most boring teams around".

Well done to Chelsea they deserved it, whatever people think about tonight and could we have won they must remember it should have been over last week if drogba had a pair of boots on let alone scoring boots. Either way well done to chelsea i'm bitterly disappointed but still scoring 4 at the bridge is never a bad way to go

Well in fairness, it wasn't like we would score four goals without reply! We always had to attack and that would always leave us open at the back.
    It was bound to be just madness like that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

redout wrote: »
    This time next week Pools season could be hanging by a thread if they fail to beat Arsenal. Amazing what could happen in the space of 7 days.
    I honestly don't think Pool will beat Arsenal, but as we all know Soccer is the most unpredictable sport -:)
    Apparently Wenger was quoted saying, he decides which team wins the PL as Arsenal have to play United, Pool & Chelsea.
    Cheeky but true -:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Lads you'se done yourselves proud and can take heart from the fact Chelsea couldnt beat you at home even without your key man and you'se still scored twice after your main goal threat was subbed. You'se also became the only side to ever score four against Chelsea in Europe at stamford bridge. Chelsea are not a great side in my opinion and Essien done what tonight exactly ? That defence and Cech will be run riot by Barcelona although Barca have their own defensive frailties their attack is far superior to Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I fully expected Liverpool to win this, shocking enough as that sounds.

Did think it was going to be the other way around with Chelsea scoring first and Liverpool rallying.

Was surprised at the amount of people who gave Liverpool no chance, I supposed they were ultimately proved right.

Pity my 4-2 bet didn't work out, losing the money was nearly worth it to watch the second half, really was terrific entertainment.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Well in fairness, it wasn't like we would score four goals without reply! We always had to attack and that would always leave us open at the back.
    It was bound to be just madness like that!

yeah i knew there would be chelsea goals but genuinely thought if we scored 4 that'd be enough.

Must have been a cracking game for the neutral,pity i'm not neutral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

mada999 wrote: »
    thought Arbeloa went down easy from Cashley Cole's challenge..
    yes got him booked too and he out for the semi.
    Great game (can say that now after half time :)) As a Chelsea fan delighted to see them in the Semi, Great football from Liverpool Jez that team have some heart and always go to the end for the red shirt. Sad to see some pool supporter’s slag of The Drogs, yes he has his moments they all do every PL team, but on his day he is a great player. As for saying the ref was pro Chelsea sour grapes what about the clear foul on Ivanovic in the first half? Clear penalty.
    Anyway great game, credit to both teams and my respect for Liverpool as gone up a notch.

just noticing a lot of chatter about the ref.

First off never a penalty with ivanovic. EVER
    Secondly Drogba will get Liverpool fans respect when he realises that he can still stand upright after the slightest little touch. or doesn't roll back onto the field to get the game stopped.
    Thirdly my only prob with the ref is that he seemed almost too eager to give frees, broke up the game way too much imo.

Finally congrats to chelseaand best of luck in the semi, god knows ye'll need luck cos they have messi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Game was over after Chelsea's second, to be honest anything after that was just down to both teams relentlessly attacking because they could.

Cracking game though.
    Chelsea go through despite a slight scare, I'd expect Barca to beat them in the next round.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Drogba will get Liverpool fans respect when he realises that he can still stand upright after the slightest little touch. or doesn't roll back onto the field to get the game stopped

Eh, he did that. 5 minutes in. Remember?

yes yes i do thats why it got mentioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Dunphy is a complete attention whore, but you have to love him.

Great game!

Dunphy is a complete attention whore, but you have to love him.

Great game!

run with the hare and hunt with the hounds come to mind with regard to dunphy.
    Love to see him try and manage a team some day himself, would be nice to see him on that celebrity banistor.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

PHB wrote: »
    Game was over after Chelsea's second, to be honest anything after that was just down to both teams relentlessly attacking because they could.

Wouldn't agree with that, with 8 minutes to go it was next goal wins to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

yes yes i do thats why it got mentioned

Sorry, my bad, misread your comment. Thought you said that he didn't do it tonight, so he earned respect from LFC fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

What a game , how often has a team that conceded 7 goals and still come out of it with their heads held high .

As for the Drogba critics - who wouldn't have him on their team , his positive attributes far outweight his play acting.

The Pool supporters may say they were missing Gerrard but JT was missing for Chelsea which may explain the 4 goals conceded

How many times has Lampard come through for Chelsea - his last goal was a cracker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Boggles wrote: »
    Wouldn't agree with that, with 8 minutes to go it was next goal wins to be honest.

Exactly. How could you say that PHB?

just noticing a lot of chatter about the ref.

First off never a penalty with ivanovic. EVER

Are you for real ?

Ivanovic was practically riding the guy.

RTE showed it at half-time and zoomed in and Ivanovic clear as day had one arm around the players neck and the other pulling his shirt.

Stonewall peno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Are you for real ?

RTE showed it at half-time and zoomed in and Ivanovic clear as day had one arm around the players neck and the other pulling his shirt.

Stonewall peno.

happens week in and week out in the premiership - rarely given

Are you for real ?

Stonewall peno.

I think he means for Chelsea at the other end.:rolleyes:
    oh sorry your a Pool supporter and never saw that one.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,595 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Barr wrote: »
    As for the Drogba critics - who wouldn't have him on their team , his positive attributes far outweight his play acting.

As a pool fan I'd rather fail than have the likes of him on our team. He is a disgrace to football. The only downside to tonights football was his acting and a couple of people slightly following his lead.

Either way, disspointed to be out, but proud of the performance. No-one gave us a chance of scoring 3, never mind 4.

Reina let us down badly on the first 2 goals imo but he has done us proud in the past. In the end poor defending let us down, home and away.

mobby wrote: »
    I think he means for Chelsea at the other end.:rolleyes:
    oh sorry your a Pool supporter and never saw that one.

I am a Pool supporter !

LoL mate, LoL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Barr wrote: »
    happens week in and week out in the premiership - rarely given

That does not mean that it is right, just that it happens :rolleyes:

copacetic wrote: »
    As a pool fan I'd rather fail than have the likes of him on our team. He is a disgrace to football. The only downside to tonights football was his acting and a couple of people slightly following his lead.

Either way, disspointed to be out, but proud of the performance. No-one gave us a chance of scoring 3, never mind 4.

Reina let us down badly on the first 2 goals imo but he has done us proud in the past. In the end poor defending let us down, home and away.

He should have been carded for rolling off the pitch then back on.

That was unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Boggles wrote: »

While I think you're right, I think the game just descended into a farce that both teams weren't even trying to defend anymore. Once the game got close again, Chelsea tightened up and saw it out. Just kinda thought the 2nd goal was the end of the tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

So gutted that I missed this due to training. Match of the season at least by the sounds of it. Going to try find some highlights now.
    Well I'll be perfectly happy without a thriller tomorrow night, a few early Arsenal goals will do me just fine.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Sorry, my bad, misread your comment. Thought you said that he didn't do it tonight, so he earned respect from LFC fans.

I don't think that will ever happen. He is terminal in that regards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

5starpool wrote: »
    I don't think that will ever happen. He is terminal in that regards.

Drogba would be world player of the year if he'd learn to stand up for half the match.

He's doing himself more harm than good. A shame.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Ridiculous game....more twists and turns than the road to Cork
    Something happen between Rafa and Guus at the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Am on record as saying that Liverpool would win and go through, was brimming with confidence after half an hour. Absolutely gutted.

Question - do Chelsea have any LIKEABLE players amongst their ranks?

I suppose Lampard has character and Essien too.. but the thought of seeing them in another European Cup final really doesn't excite me.

Oh well, roll on Barca!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

LAMPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD

OH YES.

Fair play Liverpool, But **** yeah. What a game.

:)

Blue is the colour............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

kinaldo wrote: »
    Am on record as saying that Liverpool would win and go through, was brimming with confidence after half an hour. Absolutely gutted.

I suppose Lampard has character and Essien too.. but the thought of seeing them in another European Cup final really doesn't excite me.

Oh well, roll on Barca!

I would have thought Carvalho is universally respected and liked.

CHD wrote: »
    G'wan Chelsea

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

I was under that impression myself, along with Cech for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

All of this complaining about Drogba diving is hilarious, Stevie G does the exact same thing and you treat him as a god.Can't accept one and castigate another. Also, Drogba clearly has Rafa's number ever since the mind tricks from last year so he can dive all he wants, I don't care as long as he demolishes Liverpool

As for Likeable players, I'd say the following should be likeable for most neutral fans. Cech, Carvalho, Bosingwa, Essien, Lampard, Ballack-ish,Alex, Joe Cole, Salamon Kalou and Quaresma. Also have a likeable manager in Guus and if we weren't succesfull people would love John Terry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Kalou? I think a lot of people dislike him cause he's shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Kalou? I think a lot of people dislike him cause he's shite.

But has give 110%! Honesty of effort!

(He's not THAT bad >.>)

Few people I know don't like Joe Cole either, everyone loves Essien though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I'll never understand why people don't like Lampard. He's a midfielder who scores truck loads of goals, carries himself really well on and off the pitch and is an actual gentleman, not a thug in a suit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

I have to say, although I am dissappointed Liverpool didn't go through, the game was an absolute cracker and from a nuetrals point of view it must of been very entertaining. I think I knocked about 3 years off my potential life span!

I was pretty confidant that Liverpool would score one, maybe 2, but if someone had of told me they would score 4 and not progress....well I would of found it hard to believe tbh. In saying that my confidance levels did drop when I realised Gerrard was not playing, let alone not on the bench, but I think what last nights game proved (as well as a few others this season), was that Liverpool can play good attacking football without him...I still cant help wondering what might of been had he been fit.

I think all in all both teams deserve a tremendous amount of credit, Liverpool for the way the played in the first half and Chelsea for turning things around in the second half...and Liverpool once more for their never say die atitude towards the end when a lot of the players must of been 'out on their feet'.

I feel Liverpool definately deserved to win the game on the night, and had it not been for a few sloppy errors, would have done so.

Drogba...what can you say, no doubt an excellent player, and would probably be even better if he could stay on his feet. I don't know how he survives on a windy day in London...he must fall all over the place. Finally, as for people saying that Gerrard and Drogba are similar in terms of their diving...well that's just laughable tbh. All players dive, and what I mean by dive is feeling the slightest touch and then going down in certain areas of the pitch. Drogba not only does this all over the pitch, but also spends a minute rolling around the ground like he has some sort of injury...imo of course!

Roll on the Barca v Porto final :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

SWAR wrote: »
    Drogba not only does this all over the pitch, but also spends a minute rolling around the ground like he has some sort of injury...imo of course!

Its called time wasting and slowing the game down. He actually picked his times very well last night, I was proud of him. :)

So what can we say about last night. Chelsea simply thought they were true and didn't show up until half time. Well done Guus on having the nerve to admit a mistake so soon and make the change. Kalou was simply not taking part at all.

Second half Chelsea turned up and had all of the play up to the 3rd goal. After that Liverpool looked beaten and Chelsea stopped playing again. It was a bad call as they had Liverpool deflated and could have put more daylight ahead. I think the Torres sub is what kept the game going. Chelsea saw that and took their foot right off the gas. Liverpool didn't got two quick ones and all of a sudden game on again.

Defensive lapses aside and some woeful goal keeping should not take away from some very good attacking football by both teams. Stunning goals from Alex and Lampard were the highlights. Liverpools free kick was a stroke of genius if also dire goal keeping.

As I said in work yesterday, the tie was never over before the game. Liverpool can score 3 but its keeping 3 from going in at the other end thats the problem. I said a 3-3 scoreline would be the outcome, wasn't far off!

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Forgot about him. He is a class act.

Overall they do have some very dislikable players though.

Well lets look at it from the starting line up last night. Cashley, even chelsea fans find him hard to stomach, but he is a good player so what can you do.

Kalou, I agree, mostly people hate him because he is crap. Malouda, hated because he couldn't be arsed. Drogba hated because he dives and can kill your team in an instant.

Of the other players I've no idea why so many dislike Frank. I can fully understand and accept dislikes of JT, same reason I hate Carragher and Neville.

iregk wrote: »
    Well lets look at it from the starting line up last night. Cashley, even chelsea fans find him hard to stomach, but he is a good player so what can you do.

Kalou, I agree, mostly people hate him because he is crap. Malouda, hated because he couldn't be arsed. Drogba hated because he dives and can kill your team in an instant.

Of the other players I've no idea why so many dislike Frank. I can fully understand and accept dislikes of JT, same reason I hate Carragher and Neville.
    I like Lampard, although I don't rate him anywhere near Gerrard.

I reserve special dislike for le Sulk, even though I rate him quite highly.

Not sure about Obi Mikel, my Manc supporting friends hate him though.

I like Lampard although I don't rate him anywhere near Gerrard.

I reserve special dislike for le Sulk, even though I rate him quite highly.

Anelka, forgot about him. He was an easy hate figure in his early years but I think he has sorted himself out now. Certainly doesn't give any reason to be hated anymore.

• Advertisement

Anelka, forgot about him. He was an easy hate figure in his early years but I think he has sorted himself out now. Certainly doesn't give any reason to be hated anymore.
    Just for missing that penalty is enough reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Something happen between Rafa and Guus at the end?
    Can anyone answer this one?

Just for missing that penalty is enough reason.

what?

what?
    Surely you remember the CL final last season...

To clarify, Man Utd winning that was a personal nightmare for me.

Always knew he was going to miss.

Of course I do but you cant just post up a random statement saying he missed a penalty. He's taken about 20 in his career so far!

Also, you hate him because he missed a penalty. Right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement