Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea v Liverpool X - Match Thread 14/4/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

And nobody's saying it's easy.
    In fact most of as are saying it's too much.

But to say it's impossible is plain wrong.
    And to call fans of Livepool delusional, for thinking it's never over in Europe, is beyond delusional!

See post above yours.

I just posted some facts, not an opinion even. Didn't call anyone delusional. I think your losing the run of yourself. Your cracking up, your cracking up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

If Chelsea play as well as they did in the first leg then Liverpool have no chance. That was the best performance I had seen from Chelsea since they played Barcelona in the Semi's a few years back.

The one thing I think we might be able to exploit is Czech's uncertainly under crosses, he lucked very dodgy against Bolton on Sat and I don't think he has been the same under keeper since he had his head injury.

If we score the first goal then Chelsea might get a bit nervous and anything could happen, saying that I actually think Chelsea will win 2-1, hopefully I will be wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

deisedevil wrote: »
    See post above yours.

I just posted some facts, not an opinion even. Didn't call anyone delusional. I think your losing the run of yourself. Your cracking up, your cracking up!

I was reffering to quarryman calling Liverpool fans delusional.
    The only reason i posted my list was in response to his post.
    As in the one bellow.

quarryman wrote: »
    There are some amount of deluded comments here. If this was half time in a match then they would be effectively 4-1 down (taking the away goal into account).

And when have Liverpool ever scored 3 goals in the 2nd half of a Champions League game?

oh yeah..

Anyway its too much of an ask. Pool fans predicting 4-2 and 4-1 scorelines are off their rocker. This is a much improved Chelsea team playing at home. Get real.

And as for cracking up.
    Don't you remember how well that wen't for you lot last time?;):P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Ok clarification.

Chelsea are different beast than Auxerre or Bolton, its pointless to compare those results with tonight's game.

Chelsea are far better prepared and playing more consistently than Liverpool. The gap was visible last week, Chelsea should have come away with 4 or 5 if Drogba had been sharper.

Chelsea are well aware on how to handle Liverpool at this stage, and tonight it will be even more evident as the expectation will all be all on Pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Chelsea are far better prepared and playing more consistently than Liverpool.

What now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

In order to reach the semi-finals Liverpool will have to become the first visiting team ever to score three goals at Stamford Bridge in a European game.

Liverpool have never beaten an English team in European competition away from home. In eight trips they have drawn four and lost four scoring just four goals.

Only twice in 75 visits have Liverpool achieved a result at Stamford Bridge that would earn them outright victory in the tie. On another two occasions they have won 3-1 which would take it into extra time.

Only once in seven attempts have Liverpool successfully overturned a two-goal first leg deficit in Europe. That was in a UEFA Cup tie in 1991 when they beat Auxerre 3-0 after losing the first leg in France.

Chelsea have lost only three times in Europe at Stamford Bridge. They were beaten by Lazio in 1999-2000, Besiktas in 2003-04 and Barcelona in 2005-06 - all in the European Cup and in none of those games did they concede three goals.

They have conceded just one goal in four home ties in this season's Champions League.

Until this season a certain team was not beat for 86 games at home until they met Liverpool and another team never had there biggest lose at home in over 17 years again inflected by Liverpool. As mike65 says stats and records are there to be changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Tusky wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about betfair ? Clicked on a banner that said "free 25 pound bet on Liverpool v Chelsea for new customers". So I clicked on it, signed up and deposited a bit of money in my account...but cant find any more info on the free bet ?

Make the bet first and the euro equivalent of 25 euro will be deposited into your account. it's actual money, not free bet money so it's a fairly good offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'm actually getting really up for this match now. Probably cos we have nothing to lose and all to gain!!!!!

We need to exploit Cech's fear of actually trying to claim the ball. He makes some great saves, but is dodgy as f*ck these days when it comes to the high ball.

We need to Masch to have a stormer and protect the defense, break everything down that comes our way.

We need Gerrard to......well to be Gerrard

Fernando Torres, work your magic!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Looking forward to a great game of ball.

We can go there and throw the kitchen sink at them so it should be entertaining.

Not expecting to get the result we need but I live in hope, we may as well give it a lash though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Chelsea 1-3 Liverpool. Extra time and penalties :D

• Advertisement

Ok clarification.

Chelsea are different beast than Auxerre or Bolton, its pointless to compare those results with tonight's game.

Chelsea are far better prepared and playing more consistently than Liverpool. The gap was visible last week, Chelsea should have come away with 4 or 5 if Drogba had been sharper.

Chelsea are well aware on how to handle Liverpool at this stage, and tonight it will be even more evident as the expectation will all be all on Pool.

How are Chelsea on better form that Liverpool?

Liverpool

Liverpool 2-0 Sunderland
    Liverpool 4-0 Real Madrid
    Man UTD 1-4 Liverpool
    Liverpool 5-0 Aston Villa
    Fulham 0-1 Liverpool
    Liverpool 1-3 Chelsea
    Liverpool 4-0 Blackburn

7 games.
    6 wins.
    1 loss.
    21 goals for.
    4 goals against.

Chelsea

Coventry 0-2 Chelsea
    Juventus 2-2 Chelsea
    Chelsea 1-0 Man City
    Tottenham 1-0 Chelsea
    Newcastle 0-2 Chelsea
    Liverpool 1-3 Chelsea
    Chelsea 4-3 Bolton

7 games.
    5 wins.
    1 loss.
    1 draw.
    14 goals for.
    7 goals against.

Ignoring the fact that we played a higher caliber of teams.
    We've won more, scored more, and conceded less.

Exactly how are Chelsea on better form?!!!:confused:

Until this season a certain team was not beat for 86 games at home until they met Liverpool and another team never had there biggest lose at home in over 17 years again inflected by Liverpool. As mike65 says stats and records are there to be changed

FFS!! I said the same, read through the thread. "That's true, records and stats are there to be broken. I hope it's tight at the end one way or the other, would like to see a good game of it."

Someone was silly enough to put in some facts they thought would show why Pool have a chance tonight, I was merely balancing it up a bit. But at the end of the day (as I have said already) stats are the past and count for nothing when the first whistle blows.

FFS!! I said the same, read through the thread. "That's true, records and stats are there to be broken. I hope it's tight at the end one way or the other, would like to see a good game of it."

Someone was silly enough to put in some facts they thought would show why Pool have a chance tonight, I was merely balancing it up a bit. But at the end of the day (as I have said already) stats are the past and count for nothing when the first whistle blows.

Looks like you're cracking up!

Ah look, people can quote all the statistics they want, but quite honestly it means f*ck all going into tonight's match and it'll mean f*ck all to the players.
    Not many teams have won by three goals at Stamford Bridge, but not many teams need to.
    Some teams will play for the draw, others will keep it tight and see how it develops and hopefully nick it by the odd goal. Others are just sh!t and get hammered.
    There are so many reasons and scenarios of why stats are what they are.

How many times have Chelsea defended a three one lead going into the second leg at home in the Champions League to one of the heavyweights of Europe. Not many times, i'd guess, if it all!

F*ck the stat's **** the past and what's gone before. It's all about tonight and tonight only. Tonight, Liverpool have to score at least three goals, Chelsea have to make sure they don't let them and even make them need to score more.

Everyone knows what they need to do, some of the best players in the world will be partaking in this.

It's on!!!!!

Looks like you're cracking up!

LOL, touché.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

As a United supporter I actually think that Liverpool can do it regardless of how difficult the task at hand is. There isnt a better side in the country at the moment and I will openly admit that. Chelsea are far from a great side this season as showed when they were thrashed 3-0 at Old Trafford in January and looked clueless. Essien my arse is all I have to say. Mascherano is back which takes Essien influence away in this game as far as I am concerned. Terry is suspended which means they will be missing one of their biggest influences on the pitch aswell as Cech not being great this year. Bolton also showed on saturday that long balls are a problem area for Chelsea and can be exploited. In Torres and Gerrard Liverpool possess the most lethal attacking duo in England and shouldnt find it difficult to create. If Stevie G can work an opening then there is no better man than Torres to stick it away. Have faith lads. I am dieing for a Barca v Pool semi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Oh, so it's impossible to think that we can score 3 goals against Chelsea at home.
    I mean you're probably right, the last time that happened was........well 3 days ago. Against Bolton.

But Liverpool could never beat Chelsea.
    I mean we haven't beaten them in like......2 and a half months.

But that was at home.
    I mean when was the last time we beat them at the bridge?
    Oh yeah!

But this is Europe that's different.
    Liverpool never come from behind to win in Europe!
    Do they?!

But it doesn't matter.
    Chelsea may have consedded 3 goals a few days ago, but they scored 4.
    I mean Liverpool can't score, and are conceding left right and center aren't they.
    I mean besides the first leg, we've scored 21 and conceded 1 in our last 7 games.
    Oopps.

But as you said, Chelsea are in form.
    Loosing to Totenham, and then scrapping a victory at home to Bolton after leading 4-0.
    Great form.

You know lads, he's right.
    Liverpool shouldn't even bother showing up tonight!

Jesus this post tilts the hell out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

As a pool fan i dont think we will let Chelski be so dominant again. We are capable of playing like they did in the first leg and being so dominant and thats what makes this an interesting one.

An early goal and a quiet drogba will be needed i imagine, but there is nothing stopping us somehow winning 3-1. You would have said the liverpool wouldnt conceed 3 at anfield so shows form goes right out the window for these games..

should be a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

monkey9 wrote: »
    Ah look, people can quote all the statistics they want, but quite honestly it means f*ck all going into tonight's match and it'll mean f*ck all to the players.
    Not many teams have won by three goals at Stamford Bridge, but not many teams need to.
    Some teams will play for the draw, others will keep it tight and see how it develops and hopefully nick it by the odd goal. Others are just sh!t and get hammered.
    There are so many reasons and scenarios of why stats are what they are.

How many times have Chelsea defended a three one lead going into the second leg at home in the Champions League to one of the heavyweights of Europe. Not many times, i'd guess, if it all!

F*ck the stat's **** the past and what's gone before. It's all about tonight and tonight only. Tonight, Liverpool have to score at least three goals, Chelsea have to make sure they don't let them and even make them need to score more.

Everyone knows what they need to do, some of the best players in the world will be partaking in this.

It's on!!!!!

OH It's ON:D

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »
    As a United supporter I actually think that Liverpool can do it regardless of how difficult the task at hand is. There isnt a better side in the country at the moment and I will openly admit that. Chelsea are far from a great side this season as showed when they were thrashed 3-0 at Old Trafford in January and looked clueless. Essien my arse is all I have to say. Mascherano is back which takes Essien influence away in this game as far as I am concerned. Terry is suspended which means they will be missing one of their biggest influences on the pitch aswell as Cech not being great this year. Bolton also showed on saturday that long balls are a problem area for Chelsea and can be exploited. In Torres and Gerrard Liverpool possess the most lethal attacking duo in England and shouldnt find it difficult to create. If Stevie G can work an opening then there is no better man than Torres to stick it away. Have faith lads. I am dieing for a Barca v Pool semi.

I wouldn't be so sure about a lot of that. Gerrard is not going to be at full fitness by the sounds of things and Essien won't have to be bothered about Mascherano, he can concentrate on keeping Gerrard well out of it like he did last week. I think a hell of a lot depends on Gerrard's state of fitness and Essien playing well again tonight. Pool won't win without a good performance from Gerrard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

People do know Scolari's gone right?

selpher wrote: »
    People do know Scolari's gone right?

Was he gone when Chelsea lost to Tottenham?
    Or when they lost a 4 goal lead to scrape a 4-3 victory in the end against Bolton?
    Cause I think he was!

No but no team wins every game. And Bolton scored 3 the same way any other team scores 3 at the bridge - when Chelsea score the same or more,

I think Gerrard or Masch should just take Essien out of it in the first minute, Roy Keane style on Overmars!!!

No but no team wins every game. And Bolton scored 3 the same way any other team scores 3 at the bridge - when Chelsea score the same or more,

Exactly.
    No team wins every game.
    So Chelsea might not win this one.
    Glad we're all in agreement then.
    Good.

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »

Troll!! :pac:

yup ill take a 1-0 loss tonight no problem

yup ill take a 1-0 loss tonight no problem

But only Xenu knows if that's what's gonna happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Troll!! :pac:

:confused:

13341pi.jpg

But only Xenu knows if that's what's gonna happen.

True and I guess if anyone can **** it all up its probably us.

• Advertisement

Really getting excited for this.
    I'm staying sober, cause I'm expecting a great game no matter which way it goes.
    I want to be able to enjoy it and take it all in.

Can't believe Liverpool fans expect to go through or are at least hopeful, like I knew you guys were delusional but come on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Can't believe Liverpool fans expect to go through or are at least hopeful, like I knew you guys were delusional but come on

The odds are stacked against the Scouse, I don't think it is delusional to say they can get through though, I would say it is more delusional to say they have no chance in hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Did you not hear them after the Fulham game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

It's called supporting your team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Ah bubs all fans are guilty of this. If it were 4-1 people would still *believe*. It's the optimisitic footie fans :D
    I think the Chelks will go through tonight even though I'd rather the pool. 'Cause they'll be completely focused on the premiership and that irks me. That and I would gain a lot of happiness from seeing Terry retire having come sooooooo close the lifting the Champions League trophy.

Here's hopping the pool make it 3-1 and go to extra time where there are a stint of injuries on both sides and someone scrapes through with both their seasons ruined by dwindling squads :p

Failing that I'll settle for an enjoyable match.

I'm putting a fiver on Liverpool 4-2 66-1.

Tis a great bet Win-Win :D

Boggles wrote: »
    The odds are stacked against the Scouse, I don't think it is delusional to say they can't get through though, I would say it is more delusional to say they have no chance in hell.

take the ('t) off "can't" or it makes no sense, lol.

take the ('t) off "can't" or it makes no sense, lol.

Meh, it must be dirt on your screen. Me Grammer is prefect! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I'm putting a fiver on Liverpool 4-2 66-1.

Tis a great bet Win-Win :D

who did you do that with?

• Advertisement

I think Gerrard or Masch should just take Essien out of it in the first minute, Roy Keane style on Overmars!!!

heh,

Masch would just bounce of essien, I doubt if essien would even notice it.

if anything i think essien will be putting in a few of his own.

ntlbell wrote: »
    who did you do that with?

PP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

So if it's 2-3 coming up to the end of 90 mins can we see a temp-converted Boggles typing "Ah stevie fuk sake stick it in the net. Rafa needs to get babel on. C'mon d pool" ? :D

ShooterSF wrote: »
    So if it's 2-3 coming up to the end of 90 mins can we see a temp-converted Boggles typing "Ah stevie fuk sake stick it in the net. Rafa needs to get babel on. C'mon d pool" ? :D

the day they beat fulham a united fan was sitting very quiet watching he had a large bet on all top 4 teams to win chelsea and arsenal had done the business and he shouted "what a f*cking goal" when they scored?

very strange behavior.

The odds are stacked against the Scouse, I don't think it is delusional to say they can get through though, I would say it is more delusional to say they have no chance in hell.

They have a very very very small chance. Incredibly small. And they need to have learned how to defend from corners

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

could you at least be little bit more specific? Is the corner from the left or right?

Which way will the wind be blowing?

Corner on the right, and good ould wind will help the ball flight into the box!!

But if it happens as above guys never let it be said that you didn't get enough notice to throw a quick bet on!! :P

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If there are nearly 4 full pages of crap already posted here, this thread is going to be so messy by the time the game is over (although that could be after 20 mins maybe).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

If Chelsea play like they did last week more likely to be them winning 3-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

They have a very very very small chance. Incredibly small. And they need to have learned how to defend from corners

Crosses... Corners... All the same thing really and both equally as susceptible at conceeding from them it would seem - going by the weekend anyway. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

ShooterSF wrote: »

Dunno what he'd be looking for Babel to come on for tbh! :D If you want a goal, the Jew's your man!

Speaking of which, might throw a bet on himself and Ivanovic too.

Gotta find out if Rafa is sticking with zonal marking though :D

Advertisement