Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dublin-armagh: photo opportunities?

• 13-04-2009 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

maybe a bit of a strange question.

driving from dublin to armagh later this week - up the M1 to newry then the a28 (i think?) rest of the way.

have made this journey loads of times but this time i've time to kill so want to stop and take some pics.

anyone good any suggestions? i dont mind taking a short detour along the way.

i was thinking that big bridge would be good but it would need to be dark with the lights on the bridge and so on???

does anyone know where i can take a picture of that bridge from?? i dont want to do it on the hard shoulder!

thanks in advance for any suggestions:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

What about Monasterboice (pardon my spelling if not correct).
    It's not far off the M1, far side of the bridge, and has a decent round tower and nice celtic cross. 20-30min detour at most.

Also, there's a great big viaduct visible from the road from Newry to Armagh - N28.
    How to get to it, I haven't a clue!

What about the Armagh Planetarium - never been there myself, but supposed to be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

To photograph the Bridge at Drogheda take the exit for M1 Retail park and turn left again there is a road that goes under the bridge not quite sure of how to get to in but if you are in Drogheda town go past Bus station heading towards Dundalk go over bridge and take a left turn at lights towards Mell go up up there about 1 mile and go left before Aldi and that might get you a good also.
    The hard shoulder as you go by Dundalk has good views of Cooley Mountains or go into Ravensdale which is close by

thanks very much LeoB.

apart from mrmac, i was surprised that nobody could recommend anywhere worth photographing 60 or so miles north of dublin:rolleyes:

i'll try and get to that location to get a shot of the bridge. thats again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

LeoB wrote: »
    To photograph the Bridge at Drogheda take the exit for M1 Retail park and turn left again there is a road that goes under the bridge not quite sure of how to get to in but if you are in Drogheda town go past Bus station heading towards Dundalk go over bridge and take a left turn at lights towards Mell go up up there about 1 mile and go left before Aldi and that might get you a good also.
    The hard shoulder as you go by Dundalk has good views of Cooley Mountains or go into Ravensdale which is close by

Good photo opp from the carpark of Lidl @ M1 retail park.

Monasterboice & Old Mellifont Abbey only 10 mins from Drogheda, so is Hill of Slane, each of them well worth a visit.

M1 Bridge looks horrible in broadday light, stunning in the dark :)

Just before Newry you could go to Carlingford, bit of a detour though, but great scenery (and lovelygrub :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Navan Fort, just outside Armagh City

Monasterboice

Slane Castle/River Boyne/Newgrange/Knowth/Dowth if you skip the first bit of the M1 for the N2 (Derry road - get on to it at Finglas - lovely road too! - I'd nearly prefer it to the M1 these days) and then head back over after slane. There's also the ruins of Mellifont abbey just off that road.

There's a nice forest with an old (closed) castle on the road from Newry to Armagh. Can't for the life of me remember the name of it now though.

Plenty in Armagh city too - Patrick's Trian, all around the Shambles market area used to be quite nice, and of course the Mall.

But mostly Navan Fort :) check out King's stables too..

wow! sNarah and sineadW - thanks a million.:)

i'll get onto AA roadwath during the week and plan the journey.

i reckon i may have to do the bridge another day - to get a decent night shot. i'll check out navan fort though. thanks again.

If all else fails, and you run out of time, just head straight for Armagh, as there's a lovely tree-lined green near the centre of the city. You can often see people playing criket and stuff there. I think it's called "Main Square"? It's a lovely area, with old & interesting buildings everywhere, and it's fairly easy to get to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

if you stop at the M1 bridge, take the oppurtunity to spin around to the old boyne bridge. Coming off at the M1 retail park, take the left at the roundabout, drive about a half a mile and then take another left. The bridge there is an old metal structure, there used to be an obelisk there too. This is where the canal meets the river and there's a nice walk up along there. Folow the road here back towards Drogheda and there's a great view of the new bridge from the road below.
    As sNarah said, it's not great during the day, but at dusk it's pretty spectacular

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

mrmac wrote: »
    If all else fails, and you run out of time, just head straight for Armagh, as there's a lovely tree-lined green near the centre of the city. You can often see people playing criket and stuff there. I think it's called "Main Square"? It's a lovely area, with old & interesting buildings everywhere, and it's fairly easy to get to.

That's the Mall :) And yep - lovely...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

How about Ardgillan Castle

Advertisement