Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Promotion/Relegation watch thread

• 13-04-2009 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

We're at the business end of the season and from today a few clubs could know if thier fate is sealed or not.

Leicester City have just beaten Leeds United 1 – 0 and are within a sneeze of promotion to the Championship.

Others who could glimpse the promised land or the pit of dispair include Charlton, Wolves, Southampton, Peterborough, Luton, Cheltenham.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

i think all us pat's fans will be keeping a keen eye on birmingham's situation. is it an extra €200,000 we get for fahey if they get up to the premiership????

we could use that money to get a decent manager!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yes! Wolves come from a goal down top beat plucky Deby County 3-2. Two goals from Keogh :)

Brum, Reading and The Blades are all held.

Meanwhile Charlton hold out for a draw while Soton win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

well Luton have offically been relegated but that was just a matter of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Yeah, they put up a good fight. Should've been relegated to the Conference in the first place, 30 points is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Pity to see Norwich Reserves (Luton) go down. Bad leg break by Ridgewell of Birmingham and looking at it on tv, he got up and tried to stand on his feet but you could see it go from underneath him. We beat Watford to give ourselves a chance of staying up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

well Luton have offically been relegated but that was just a matter of time.

Sad day, I have relatives there who are season ticket holders, always keep an eye out for thier results, kinda like my 2nd team. Gutted for them.:(

Oh the plight of the small club...

Wolves are within touching distance of promotion to Skyland, 1-0 up, Cardiff playing thier game in hand are being hammered 4-0 and Brum drawing. A win, any win will do but a draw could do.

Charlton start playing football a bit late as Forest are 1 up, a win for them will condemn the Addicts I think.

Leicester go 1-0 and heading up as things stand. Peterborough leading, with Millwall loosing are almost there.

Brentford 3 up all but there, Chester all but condemed to the Conference with Luton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Blackpool with late equaliser against Charlton relegates them anyway. Gonna be tight around playffs in this division now.

Leeds book a playoff spot:D

WOLVES ARE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D

Charlton are gone, from 7th in Prem to League 1 in a 5 or 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Darren Ferguson's Peterborough have completed back to back promotions and will play in the Championship next season. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Next Season he will benifit from daddies babies being sent on loan now that they are playing at a level which would benifit a 17-21 year old player.

Expect Gibson/Fabio/Possebon/Others to be linked with season/short term loans to the Posh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Him and Keano will be fighting over them :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

My cousin plays for Bury in League 2 and they are 1 point outside the promotion places going into the last game. They missed a chance to get in today when they drew and the team above them (Exeter) also drew. C'mon Bury!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

who's your cousin liam o? is it one of the irish lads? just i follow league 2 (bradford city more like - ****e they are)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Barring a complete f*ck up from themselves, and some amazing results by Norwich, Forest should be safe, Billy Davies has done his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

Bad result for Birmingham yesterday...I think they may miss out on automatic promotion now. Their last game of the season is away to Reading (who may need a result to cement their play-off place / have a chance at automatic promotion depending on their game against Norwich tomorrow), and with Sheffield United's last game away to Palace (who have nothing to play for) and ony being a point behind Birmingham at the moment.

Leicester and Peterborough go up, plays offs for Millwall, Leeds, MK Dons and Scunthorpe

Brentford, Wycombe, Exeter all go up to League One, Bury, Gillingham, Rochdale and Shrewsbury in play offs.

Crewe go down to League Two with Northampton Cheltenham Hereford,

Luton and Chester are gone to the Conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Well just one match left, West Brom down, Boro look like they will also go down, who do people think will go down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Sunderland V Chelsea Away Win
    West Ham V Boro Draw
    Villa V Newcastle Draw
    Hull V United Away Win

Thats Hull and Boro down, should be exciting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

West Ham V Boro Home
    Villa V Newcastle Away
    Hull V United Away Win

Hull and Boro for me also.

• Advertisement

Villa to win first game since Febuary! Oh hang on they won last week(?). Well I reckon they'll win again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Yeah I also reckon it'll be Newcastle and Middlesbrough, can't imagine Newcastle getting anything at Villa Park. Villa will want to go out with a bang after the poor form of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

DSB wrote: »
    Yeah I also reckon it'll be Newcastle and Middlesbrough, can't imagine Newcastle getting anything at Villa Park. Villa will want to go out with a bang after the poor form of late.

I think they will both continue to play rubbish in this match and end up 0-0. Will be enough for Newcastle if Hull lose as you might expect them to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Boro are as good as gone, and Sunderland should be ok as it's unlikely that both of Newcastle and Hull will win. So it comes down to either Hull or the Toon.

Hull have been in freefall for months and probably deserve to go down at this stage. Were it not for a surprisingly good start they'd have been relegated already. 2 wins from 27 games, now that's relegation form if I've ever seen it.

Newcastle themselves can barely claim to be deserving of staying up. In most other seasons they would probably be going down but I think a point at Villa might just be enough to save them as I don't see Hull getting anything against United, even what will probably be an understrength United team. In any case I don't think Ferguson will put out too weak a team given the importance of the fixture to the clubs in relegation trouble. It won't be the first choice 11 but should still be good enough to see off Hull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Newcastle and Boro please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

It will stay the way it is now, with Newcastle and Boro going down.

I'd say Hull will get a draw, maybe a win... what do United have left to play for, they'll be resting the top talent for the CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

West Ham V Boro Home win
    Villa V Newcastle Draw
    Hull V United Draw.

I don't think United will have any first team players out. Hull should get at least a draw. West Ham's home form was been really good recently (apart from against Liverpool), and Boro just look inept going forward, so I can't see them getting anything. I would guess it's going to be Boro and Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Holsten wrote: »
    It will stay the way it is now, with Newcastle and Boro going down.

I'd say Hull will get a draw, maybe a win... what do United have left to play for, they'll be resting the top talent for the CL.
    I'd be surprised if United put out a severely weakened team. I can see Ferguson resting some of his players but politics come into it as well and Newcastle being a member of the ECA makes me think that United will go out to win this game.
    I firmly believe that its down to Newcastle getting a point in Villa Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

Sunderland V Chelsea Home Win
    West Ham V Boro Home win
    Villa V Newcastle Draw
    Hull V United Draw.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Sunderland V Chelsea: Away Win
    West Ham V Boro: Home win
    Villa V Newcastle: Draw
    Hull V United: Away win

Boro and Hull, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Sunderland V Chelsea: Away Win
    West Ham V Boro: Home win
    Villa V Newcastle: Home win
    Hull V United: Draw

Boro and Newcastle , please.

Cant see Newcastle getting anything at Villa Park and Hull will be well up for it again United Res in front of their own.
    As for United fielding a weak team I no the rules state that every team must field there strongest side but United fielded a weak team v W.Ham(a season or two ago) and played them of the pitch and still lost, Liverpool did it that helped Fulham stay up so I cant see any punishment coming United's way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think United have to rest some of the big name players. Ferguson has to put Man United first, and with the CL final just a few days after the match on Sunday, it would be irresponsible of him to risk injury to any of his big name stars in a game that means nothing to United.

You can be damn sure that Barcelona will be resting players, so United have to as well imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

I think United have to rest some of the big name players. Ferguson has to put Man United first, and with the CL final just a few days after the match on Sunday, it would be irresponsible of him to risk injury to any of his big name stars in a game that means nothing to United.

You can be damn sure that Barcelona will be resting players, so United have to as well imo.

Too right ferguson, as a manager, has a job to do and that job is to win as many games and as many trophies for the club every season. Sometimeas this means fielding the strongest team he can and other times (like this weekend) it calls for resting big names for the good of winning yet another cup.

Millwall blow a 1 goal lead twice to loose 3-2 against Scunthorpe, in the League 1 play-off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I hope Shearer has a few extra pairs of underpants because they're having major brown trouser moments here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Hull go 1-0 down against United.

Advertisement