Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia 2247-02 How To BLOCK Torrent?

Options
  • 13-04-2009 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hello i have eircom 3 mb and router Netopia 2247-02 and i want to BLOCK torrent's, bitorrent, utorrnet any1 know how to do this ?

Please Help! Thank You.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Turn on the firewall on the router. It has to be on either low or off for torrents to work even with port forwarding set.

Also remove any port forwarding that has been set.

The easiest way to do this is a hardware reset.

Afterwards set a good admin password on the router so that people can't just open up the ports and turn off the firewall again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 el passo

I reset , but utorrnet still downloading with full speed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

Netopia routers don't have the features necessary to totally block P2P traffic through a network. Even with the ports block traffic will still be able to pass through the network.

However using the features you do have you need to follow the instructions of the poster above. You will need to disable UPnP on your router as most clients are able to use this feature to open ports on a needs basis.

However as I said with a standard Netopia router you cannot totally block P2P traffic.

If you want to your best bet would be to purchase a router that supports one of the alternative firmwares such as OpenWrt or dd-wrt as these would give you the features needed to totally block P2P traffic through a network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

While not foolproof, you could set up your router to use opendns (opendns.com)

and set up opendns to block dns requests for p2p sites.

While not blocking the traffic, it does mess with getting info from the trackers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dangerousdavid

el passo wrote: »
    I reset , but utorrnet still downloading with full speed :(

Why not just close UTorrent :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Why not just close UTorrent :confused:
    I think the point is to stop others users in the household to download via Torrent; not that the OP wants to stop it from their own PC.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

While not foolproof, you could set up your router to use opendns (opendns.com)

and set up opendns to block dns requests for p2p sites.

While not blocking the traffic, it does mess with getting info from the trackers.
    could you then block access to all other dns sites to force the clients to use opendns ?
    port 53 to 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

If you change the dns on the netopia to the settings for open dns and the clients on the network use DCHP to get their ip address, then they will all use opendns too.

You set up an account with opendns and tell it to block file sharing. If you have a fixed public IP address then there is nothing else to do, if it is not fixed you need to have a small app running on one of the computers to update Opendns with your new ip address every time it changes.

It is possible to get around it if the dns settings on the computer downloading are changed to a non-open dns setting.

https://www.opendns.com/start/device/router

Advertisement