Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A newbie wants to start shooting

Options
  • 13-04-2009 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭

looking to get into shooting, I need a sport and shooting has always appealed to me. So how do i get started , i know i need :

a rifle
    a licence for said rifle
    some safe place to keep said rifle
    a club to go shooting with

so my question is : are there different kinds of clubs for different kinds of shooting ? how much is a gun licence ? and how much would getting started cost ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

First thing is to decide what type of target shooting you want to do. Different ranges cater for different types, so your best bet is to travel around and meet people and see the sports in action and decide based on your own observation and experience.

A cert for a rifle costs 38 quid a year at the moment, to become 66 for three years at some point.

As for getting started, it depends what you want to do. Either way, you're going to want to start with a .22 rifle to learn the mechanics for a reasonable price. If you want a bigger gun later to shoot long ranges, you won't have to learn the mechanics while using a calibre that costs a couple of quid a shot and will be better off for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

have to say ive always liked pheasant shooting , and it seems to have a fair bit of support around ireland,

any reccomendations on getting in to that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

get yourself to a club that shoots .22 (courtlough,hilltop) go in and have a chat try it out and see wot ya think ,the lads in there be able to advise ya on best route to follow from there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

have to say ive always liked pheasant shooting , and it seems to have a fair bit of support around ireland,

any reccomendations on getting in to that

Most local parishes have a gun club. Some are very open to new members; others are somewhat closed shops. It helps if you ask around and befriend the members of the club. You'll be expected to help out with raising and releasing birds for the shoot, controlling vermin on the ground the club shoots on and a thousand other little things. Many clubs have a huge deficit of willing help, so will be much more open to accepting your membership if you show willingness and enthusiasm for helping out. Get yourself a good dog and a nice, serviceable shotgun and you'll have the time of your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭CZ.

for pheasant shooting ya need a shotgun and a dog

• Advertisement
Advertisement