Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

place to eat

• 13-04-2009 4:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭

hi guys.. just wondering where is the best place to have a nice meal in carrick on shannon? doesnt really matter what kind of food,be it chinese or that.. just where is the best place to go eat??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

cryans

no matter what anyone else posts francis cryan puts up the best dinner in the county, and the nicest soup too,

its a family run outfit been in town for generations, almost next door to the landmark,

there just after building a new chunk onto the back of the pub, and they are doing up the pub, but the new end is still open lovely food.

and a top class service

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Theres a really lovely curry house beside Cryans, upstairs. Been there a few times, Its delicious and I like my curries.
    Theres an award winning place called the Oarsman that has had some serious write ups in Carrick. (havent been there myself yet but intend to as a real treat) http://www.theoarsman.com/awards.htm

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The Oarsman has an excellent restaurant that is a consistent winner of awards. I've eaten there a couple of times and it is superb. :)

Wherever you go in Carrick, be sure to avoid Glancy's bar on the Cortober side. Some friends and myself had food there last year and it was disgusting rubbish with poor service.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

<SNIP>

cryans is a family run business with fresh food ,and a freindly service what you would expect in leitrim, not a bunch of wana be yupees, who put on attampted american crossed with english accents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭becah

Cryans - nice for traditional food, like stews, meat & 2 veg etc, but for something a bit more contemporary, try the Oarsman, Victoria Hall, the Landmark, or The Larder for lunch.

For lunch, the Oarsman bar is great, really nice homemade soups, ciabattas, pasta's, cous-cous etc. Nice for dinner too, but kinda pricey. As mentioned, has won loads of awards, and deserves them IMO, great food, most of which is locally sourced, and good service.

Victoria Hall is lovely for lunch or dinner, beautiful building, an old converted church. Serves mainly thai fusion, but does some european food aswel. Try their Bento boxes at lunch, really good!

The Landmark Hotel has a few nice places too.
    The Boardwalk Cafe/Bar does lunch and has an evening menu too, e.g. thai green curry, burgers, steak sandwich's, lasagne etc.
    The conservatory area serves breakfast and afternoon tea etc, e.g. smoked salmon sandwiches, bagels etc.
    Their deserts are all homemade and delicious, they have an award winning pastry chef who makes the most amazing cakes etc.
    CJ's is a more formal dining room in the hotel for dinner, only opens weekends for dinner I think, it's pricey but one of the best places for dinner for special occasions etc! Serves food like filet steaks, seafood etc.

Shamrat Indian (over Beirnes butchers) is really good, lovely curries, but decor is a bit dated inside, but still great food.

The Larder is a small cafe in the Market Yard, does nice coffees, panini's, ciabattas etc, and you can sit outside when the weather's nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

I love Victoria Hall! I love being able to watch them cook. Service is brilliant and quick. Food is gorgeous. Bento box is amazing and a great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

Another vote for Victoria hall ... have eaten there several times and never had a bad meal ... food and service superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The Oarsman or Victoria Hall (formerly a part of The Lemongrass chain, but the menu is still the same).

Advertisement