Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the best way to listen to foreign stations???

• 13-04-2009 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Ok. Not tech savvy with all of this so simple question. Is it possible to get some sort of radio that will recieve the likes of Phantom (I live in Roscommon) and foreign radio stations like the BBC's and maybe some american stations.

I've got wireless broadband and also a sky sat dish. I know I can stream them on computer but is there a way of listening to them through a radio where they could be saved like a regular station. Can a DAB radio do any of this? Or is there some other type of device?? Willing to spend a bit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You can buy a Internet radio with a line out (usually used for headphones) The logik I have does this, it works just fine. You'll need a router for the data feed.

306677.jpg

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/Audio/DAB+Radio/LOGIK/LOGDI218+Black/306677

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Mark 00

Thanks. How exactly does it work? Do I hook the radio up to the network thriugh the router? And then how do I search for the internet stations I'm looking for?

Check out this lengthy thread (me asking a lot of stoopid questions!)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055133697

Big help. Thanks a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

Most (if not all) of the BBC radio stations are available on Chorus and NTL if you have that. Phantom is also available there.

• Advertisement

After looking at different models I was just wondering if a radio has say 6 presets, does that mean that after those six are filled you have to manually search for other stations you're looking for through the genre/country search engine or can you save them into a favourites folder on the radio to come back to later??

Also any advice on a decent entry level model?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, I think most offer a Favourites section also. Some radios use Reciva.com where you register and enter favourite channels into a list, and then it becomes available on your radio through "My Stuff".

The Logik IR100 would be good start (similar to the image posted by mike above), though I think it's now discontinued, so eBay or the likes.

Whatever you choose, make sure it'll handle Real audio, as some don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

mike65 wrote: »
    You can buy a Internet radio with a line out (usually used for headphones) The logik I have does this, it works just fine. You'll need a router for the data feed.

306677.jpg

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/Audio/DAB+Radio/LOGIK/LOGDI218+Black/306677

Just to clear up, that is not a WIFI radio.

It is like the Logik we both have (same chassis as the IR100) but it is DAB and FM. So don't go for that one.

Pure, Roberts and Pico are the radios to look at, but they will set you back well over £100 sterling.

Disappointingly, there appears to be fewer Reciva radios on the market nowadays.

If they dont use reciva what do they use? From looking at the reciva website I can see they have over 16000 stations! Is that the most comprehensive collection?

Should I steer away from others and just try and get one that uses reciva?

• Advertisement

Reciva software is the most comprehensive so why go with anything else, but whatever you buy make sure its RealAudio friendly as thats the format the beeb uses for non-uk IPs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Lemme ask yis somethin'. I listen to some radio stations from across the world, but on alot of them, the audio isn't the best quality. If I get an wifi internet radio thingy, does the audio quality improve?

I ask because I'm clueless when it comes to internet radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

No. It doesn't. If the stream is 20kbps mono WMA, a wifi radio won't improve that, though the acoustics on the Logik are impressive, better than a cheap set of PC speakers.

But it does mean you don't have to be logged onto a PC to listen to your favourite radio station in downtown Timbuktu.

As for software used other than Reciva, the Roberts 201 uses Reciva, but the Roberts 202 uses Frontier Silicon. And the Pure uses their own in-house "The Lounge".

Its a technology thats not settled or bedded in yet, but plans are afoot. http://www.imdalliance.org/

Advertisement