Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Caprica - Pilot Discussion ***Warning:Contains Spoilers.. and nuts***

• 13-04-2009 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought I'd put up a discussion thread to preempt discussion of this!

rlslog16.jpg
    Two families, the Graystones and the Adamas, live together on a peaceful planet known as Caprica, where a startling breakthrough in artificial intelligence brings about unforeseen consequences. A spin-off of the Sci Fi Channel series “Battlestar Galactica” set 50 years prior to the events of that show. Described as “television’s first science fiction family saga, ”Caprica is a terrestrial drama rather than a space opera. Set against the backdrop of a society close to our own, Caprica will “[ponder] ethical dilemmas that we as a human race are going to have to face very shortly.

What did you think?

What did you think of the pilot of "Caprica"? 92 votes

Excellent stuff! ******
    0%
    Good but not great! ****
    43%
    TelgereazezilVolvagiaIvanStarkSmilerGoodshapeatgateGerardKeatinggiftgrub[Deleted User]slave1dead airduridianstakeyPlayboyMysticalRainlostexpectationThe GnomeJohn_C 40 votes
    Averagely average! ***
    47%
    DeVoreTazzleVokesSarumanV9jor elMisterAnarchyRancidsimusteviecRichard DowerSuaimhneachCalidenUser45701SpockermobhamsterboysiodaOriziotvnutz 44 votes
    Not great at all! **
    7%
    ameniwhelankowloonJohn The BadEndaaaaghtferg20artemis00 7 votes
    Poor! *
    1%
    Donnaghm 1 vote

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

isn't this still over a week away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Good but not great! ****
    Yeah this is a tad early, it's not out til the 21st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Hmmmm.. you'd think so, wouldn't you? ;)

Tip: I didn't post it for the good of my health!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Just couldnt wait for Overheal to post up his stunningly good thread that would timely announce the US airing? :rolleyes: tut tut Mr. Basquille. Tut.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Good but not great! ****
    Looking forwards to watching it tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Averagely average! ***
    its on tonight?

Good but not great! ****
    its on tonight?

I managed to get an early dvd of it.

Averagely average! ***
    just seen on the wiki page a leaked version of the pilot has made its way onto teH Inturnet

linky - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caprica_(TV_series)

just seen on the wiki page a leaked version of the pilot has made its way onto teH Inturnet

linky - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caprica_(TV_series)
    Well, ain't that a "coinci-dink"!

It's almost like it was a reason to put up this discussion thread! ;)

Averagely average! ***
    i'm allowed t' be slow today, being hungover and full of chocolate,
    would have been easier if ye just said that in the beginning though ffs :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Averagely average! ***
    Its surprisingly not bad, tought it would be bad or boring but it was good. My one problem with BSG was why did the cylons attempt to wipe out humans, it explained some of the want. Well at least we don't have to wait almost 2 years for the series like BSG.

Averagely average! ***
    Holy Frakkin'
    Frankencylon!

its not bad, the adama's are pretty good, the proto-cylon was kickass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Wil the rest of the season be shown after the pilot or will we have to wait till later on in the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Averagely average! ***
    While it's not as instantly great as BSG miniseries, I still thought it was very good. Very interesting. thought Eric Stoltz's character was excellent: Ruthless but not a mustache twirler. Kind of like Baltar in the new BSG. Liked Adama's father.
    Interesting to see his mob connections as Adams before he goes on to become this very renowned Judge alluded to in BSG
    The prototype was pretty cool and I liked a few of the smaller details (The paper display etc).

It's already gotten the go for a series, hasn't it? I can see it having the potential for a great 2 seasons but my concern is that they could try to drag it out to four by throwing in a whole load of soapopera-ish twists and turns to pad it out
    the teacher being a follower of SOTO.

Overall IMHO: Good, good potential, great actors. Didn't grab me by the balls instantly like the miniseries did (but, to be fair, what could?) but still definitely one to watch!

I liked the fact that about 90% of the tech was within about, say, 50 years of us but then they go and are centuries ahead of us in other ways: Jump drive. massive ships etc.

Averagely average! ***
    I thought they'd fart around alot in this, but they've gone straight into it.

Silvine the first season will be autumn\winter. At least we won't have to wait 2 years like BSG.

Also i hope HMV and co get off their asses and get the DVD in ASAP. There's meant to be few extra scenes and good extras on the DVD.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Averagely average! ***
    Just seen it, it DOES explain alot of the backstory to BSG....this is 18 years before the FIRST Cylon war people, before the Hybrids and ressurection....important note as it'll explain why and how it came about.

The start kinda dragged, but once we got an idea of where it was going it became pretty good, i too wonder if they'll try drag this one out...or, devote a series to a certain timeframe. As in season one 3 years before first, second season jump ahead a few more years, then jump ahead another five years.

Like four seasons cover an 18 year period, we be able to see the tech advance, see the Cylons advance and i assume we'll see the OLD style Cylon tech?, the old tin can design and ships and basestars?....i do hope so!

The newer tech we seen in BSG happened forthy years after the first Cylon war remember!, there also seems to be elements of the religion and the "one true god", so that has to be explored...those kids at the V Club and school were obviously taught that stuff, cecruited...as such someone is teaching that religion. Overall it has potential and the end of the pilot DID want me wanting to see the next episode!

Averagely average! ***
    Btw...what i saw was 96 mins....isin't there supposed to be a 2 hour extended version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Averagely average! ***
    Ooh, I had no idea this was on my VCR, and I wasted time yesterday watching CSI New York :eek: But what to watch first tonight, Jack or BSG???

Btw...what i saw was 96 mins....isin't there supposed to be a 2 hour extended version?
    It'll be 2 hours when aired with the ad breaks etc.

Averagely average! ***
    ps...WE SAW BOOBIES!!!! :-)

• Advertisement

Averagely average! ***
    Just seen it, it DOES explain alot of the backstory to BSG....this is 18 years before the FIRST Cylon war people, before the Hybrids and ressurection....

Were we never given an exact timeline on the cylon war. The only thing it said at the start was 58 years before the fall, could be wrong because i'm reading the cylons were created 55 years before the fall. There was 40 years of peace, so thats 15 to play and accoridng to other timelines the war lasted 12 years. So i'd 3 years before the full on rebellion. Would love to see the full on war but it more than likely will be set around those 3 years, the lead up. Hybrids occured towards the end of the war. The buildup to the revolt should be interesting tho.

PS. yes boobies!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

Good but not great! ****
    Can someone whos seen it answer a question for me.

My gf is only starting season 4.5 and i just got the pilot of caprica. Is there any spoilers for bsg in the pilot?

I'd imagine there's none, but just in case.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Averagely average! ***
    Nope, no spoilers. But, (should that be a but?) as someone said above: Boobies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Good but not great! ****
    Thought it was great. I hate them for making me wait a year to see what happens next(why do sci-fi constantly do this to us :mad:)
    I like the whole Tauren racism thing they have going on. It goes well with balthers rant's in season 3

I do wonder how they will keep it going for more than two seasons though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Averagely average! ***
    I really liked it,seeing the first Cylons being built was great.

I also like how they pretty much answered,or I assume they did anyway, how the Centurians had the idea of the one true god when they met with the final five after the first Cylon war. It was the Zoe-Cylon that obviously spread the idea to the other centurians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Good but not great! ****
    silvine wrote: »
    Wil the rest of the season be shown after the pilot or will we have to wait till later on in the year?

We'll have to wait till early 2010:mad: ahhhhh

As for the pilot. i loved it. Its going to be a very different series to battlestar but i think it'll be just as good. Tackling the concept of artificial life in a society not so different from our own is so fresh. On a side note i was so surprised by how racist the capricans were, thats why everyone hates them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Not great at all! **
    I'm not sure about this one:

Teenaged girls as major characters and a major part of the story revolving around the goings on in a school. I sees the potential for 'Galactica High'. :mad:

Adama, either the father or son, are going to be linked in with the creation of the Cylons. I prefered the idea that Adama was nothing particularly special.
    They can't exactly turn around and wipe their memories like they did with C3PO and R2D2 in Star Wars Ep. 3. I can see this coming back to bite the writers in the ass if thy can't come up with something clever.

On the bright side, what if they decide to actually go into the first cyclon war? That would be mighty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Averagely average! ***
    cotwold wrote: »
    We'll have to wait till early 2010:mad: ahhhhh

As for the pilot. i loved it. Its going to be a very different series to battlestar but i think it'll be just as good. Tackling the concept of artificial life in a society not so different from our own is so fresh. On a side note i was so surprised by how racist the capricans were, thats why everyone hates them.

Like the french?

I liked it and i am suprised at how well recieved its been. This poll has me very optimistic for a full season - hopefully it wont be BSG's 13 episodes for season 1 and we will get a full season. - then again BSG proved that its quality not quantity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

kowloon wrote: »

On the bright side, what if they decide to actually go into the first cyclon war? That would be mighty.

wonder if that is a backup plan, if the show starts to tank, bring on the war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Not great at all! **
    syboit wrote: »
    wonder if that is a backup plan, if the show starts to tank, bring on the war.

I think that might be the only way to return to the 'epic' quality of bsg.
    Given how quickly the Caprica pilot has gone to the first Cylon centurion model, I can't see them dragging it out very long.
    Either way, the series won't air until next year so there's plenty of time to speculate.

Averagely average! ***
    Did anyone download the Caprica deleted scenes?

Averagely average! ***
    kowloon wrote: »
    I think that might be the only way to return to the 'epic' quality of bsg.
    Given how quickly the Caprica pilot has gone to the first Cylon centurion model, I can't see them dragging it out very long.
    Either way, the series won't air until next year so there's plenty of time to speculate.

It'll give the producers some scope if say the first season tanks. They can go to the Sci-Fi channel and say, season 2-3 = first Cylon war ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Good but not great! ****
    Speaking of plans i love all the references to Zoe's plan. I wonder if its anything to the later cylon's mysterious plan.

Averagely average! ***
    I dont like the name Zoe - keeps making me think of B5 every time i hear it.
    So how long of a wait so we really have? 9 months or so? we had a longer wait between the first and 2nd 1/2 of season 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Good but not great! ****
    I like the way the Cylons are based off human personalities. It would explain their motivation for creating skinjobs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Averagely average! ***
    Fan-fraking-tastic. I always knew it was going to be good,but not THIS good. :eek:

It's got great potential to be an amazing show,perhaps better than BSG. I already prefer this pilot to the BSG miniseries.

The cultural differences between the different planets are really interesting and I can't wait to find out about the history and people of the twelve colonies,the cylon uprising/first war and everything else. :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I just want to throw my praise in. Much better than I had imagined. Oh the decadence, the fall of Rome symbolism is staggering.

A couple of things. Why would he put (or rather keep) his daughter's conscience in the same robot they are using for the weapons testing? Is it a program that is making her shoot so accurately or is it tha the father can ask ZOE to do certain things that he can't quite perfect programming-wise?

Averagely average! ***
    Looks like he thought the personality was wiped, when the bot crashed the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

But didn't he give the machine a nod to finish off the Blue drone?

It sure looked like he knew at that stage to me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Averagely average! ***
    Looks like he thought the personality was wiped, when the bot crashed the first time.

That's what I figured too. He thinks Zoe is gone, and only the programming is left, but she isn't...

It was very good to see how the Cylons came about, and begins to explain why they turned on the humans so violently, if Zoe's pissed of teenage conscience is what is guiding them. It also explains the Cylon's one god ethos, which we know came from the centurions.

Just how we get from this, to what we know will happen, is a mystery though. Will the dad eventually figure out that she's still in the Cylon, or will someone else figure it out, and try to wipe her? If she remains intact, then it's hard to see how her personality could be lost. Does her personality get lost, or does the robot she's in get destroyed?

I also liked the whole notion of the different societies on the different worlds, with Capricans being at the top, and Taurans being very much third world. I can't see them wasting too much time in the story, before we get to a point where there's a Cylon army about to turn on the humans.

Because it's still a BSG series, I kept expecting to see someone familiar, like Starbuck, Apollo or Six, but of course that's not going to happen. I still spent the whole episode waiting for them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

edited thread to put spoiler warning in the title (mentions of Zoe cylon give a bit too much away for the average punter).

on a topical note...

naked old-style cylon said "BY YOUR COMMAND" :D i've been waiting years for any kind of cylon to say that on air again!

If it goes to cylon war the series could run the risk of becoming a new space above and beyond, which, while liked by many was still a complete flop overall and ended up getting axed. war time series are quite hard to pull off imho. In this one, they will need a lot of side stories to fill in the spaces between the action if htey do go to war, if they dont, they will be doing themselves a great dis-service... we all know its coming, its why we're watching. If we didnt want cylon on human entertainment we'd be settling for corrie or 90210..... its all going to be about the timing and the foreshadowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Averagely average! ***
    LoLth wrote: »
    naked old-style cylon said "BY YOUR COMMAND" :D i've been waiting years for any kind of cylon to say that on air again!.

BSG:Razor!?

Averagely average! ***
    BSG Season 4 spoilers
    We know that in roughly 16-18 years Ellen, Tigh, Tyrrel, Anders & Tori will arrive to the colonies which is just before the end of the war.
    Do we know how long the war lasted? if there is going to be any cylan v human war in this then ther series will have to progress quickly covering the time difference at several years a season.......

Anyway if they do have the cylon war the FF could guest star?

i think the series will focus on what led up to the rebellion. We have to assume the cylons didnt just decide "kill all humans" they are sentiant so they might have asked for freedoms and been denied - perhaps a cylon malfunctioned and killed or hurt someone and was deactivated with a trial - angering other cylons - We really dont know but i figure there will be a whole heap or moral and ethical debate over the cylons and there status in society before there is war.

They still have to produce massive amounts of cylons as labour force and explain where the cylons got their ships from - where they where built and then the first battlestar was comissioned ext - I assume they take more than a year to build.

There is allot still to go and most of it is speculation but if this poll is any indication people like it. Next poll is out of the 21 people that voted 4/5 or better how many of you will actually buy the DVD to drive sales?

You should do it - look how it worked for firefly that got the big dam movie out of it - Buy the caprica DVD - you dont want to put up with the crippling depression that will come if the show does not make it and you didnt buy the dvd.......

Good but not great! ****
    I enjoyed the episode. A couple of things to note.
    Copying the basic cylon programming to new further created cylons I'm guessing, will easily help spread the hidden zoe character and religious based idea/faith.

This new series once again (after BSG now finished) will be able (re)introduce current events,
    (suicide) bombings
    , religious discrimination, smouldering hidden agendas and people (as with the head of the school), and other moral situations that we currently face.

Clearly the Zoe character has issues. Those on top of everything else will not help matters lol.
    Speaking of plans i love all the references to Zoe's plan. I wonder if its anything to the later cylon's mysterious plan.
    Me too. That has me wondering...

I wonder will we get to see/meet the people that created (for them) this one god idea - and if we will see the place Zoe was actually heading to when she was on the train (prior to subsequent events ;) )
    The teacher I think knew more about what was going on than just being a peaceful "one" faith believer.
    Was Zoe indeed being used/manipulated by an organisation/person(s) at the school as to let others there/elsewhere, get their scheming ways?

I wonder will we get to see and/or mentioned what reasons/events had caused the hatred amid the other off world planets?

Have already purchased the DVD from Amazon as well by the way.
    Both to keep as part of the prior BSG dvd sets and help/show support for the news series which I hope lasts.
    There is so much to play with in regards themes, plots and sub-plots, cultural societies problems, etc this series could IF ALLOWED turn out to be the "Dallas" of our decade TV viewing.
    The only thing hold the creator/writers back would be the time scale (within the actual series) in which they have to play with.

Can't believe that we have to wait so long for it to continue. Bummer! :(

Averagely average! ***
    User45701 wrote: »
    Do we know how long the war lasted?

12 years according to this. Not exactly right, but do we know caprica started 58 years before the fall and there was 40 years of peace\no contact.

Good but not great! ****
    As there is no official stuff yet - I think!
    Here is one (a quickie) I made earlier! :D

r084dx.jpg

2dc8pqt.jpg

m8nud0.jpg

k4zatt.jpg

Good but not great! ****
    12 years according to this. Not exactly right, but do we know caprica started 58 years before the fall and there was 40 years of peace\no contact.

Could we (soon) be talking about the fall of Caprica as a working (as clearly corrupt as it is) society and not just a war further coming?

Averagely average! ***
    Biggins wrote: »
    Could we (soon) be talking about the fall of Caprica as a working (as clearly corrupt as it is) society and not just a war further coming?

The fall is the start of BSG, cylons coming home to roost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Averagely average! ***
    Will give this a chance was really impressed with the cylon story and like everyone else gotta wait ages for the next one :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Averagely average! ***
    Just gave this a second watch,and my opinion of it has improved if that's possible. It really is the best piece of television I've ever seen and has amazing potential. Watching the credits at the very end,it felt like I'd just finished watching the LOTRO trilogy. I dunno why everyone else was so sceptical about it before it aired. Anyway,enough of my fanboism. Caprica FTW.

• Advertisement
Advertisement