Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Caprica - Pilot Discussion ***Warning:Contains Spoilers.. and nuts***

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Good but not great! ****
    I like the way the opening scenes seemed to take place in an opera house. That was a nice touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TOS COLEMAN

Good but not great! ****
    i thought the pilot was great,seein young bill adama was cool.was interestin to see at the start he didn't really like his father just like the way lee didn't like bill in BSG,

i liked the bit were joseph adams tells willie that the family name is adama,that was cool,hearin the cylon say "by your command" was great,they only ever said that twice in BSG (mini-series,razor),i didn't expect it to move along so quick.i thought it wud be a while before they put a personality into a centurion,kinda explains we the cylons created skin jobs aswel

one thing i find a bit wierd tho is in caprica they have these cool gadgets like the paper computer thing,the holoband n this is 58 years before the fall.so by the time BSG is set they could have all sorts of stuff but we never seen technology like that in BSG although they do have ships n FTL drives ha.....or is it only the greystones that have them gadgets??

can't wait to see more,also the culture of the different planets is interestin.wud be great to hear all along the watchtower come in somewhere :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Averagely average! ***
    I watched the deleted scenes...nothing of huge interest. One scene with the teacher and Cylon girl was kinda interesting, it suggested she was part of some cult with the teacher as the leader and mentor. It hinted that she had doubts and that the teacher kinda pushed her toward the suicide bombing.

Overall the DVD extras were...meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Averagely average! ***
    I watched the deleted scenes...nothing of huge interest. One scene with the teacher and Cylon girl was kinda interesting, it suggested she was part of some cult with the teacher as the leader and mentor. It hinted that she had doubts and that the teacher kinda pushed her toward the suicide bombing.

Zoe never knew about the suicide bombing. Only Ben did. The teacher said that the bombing was not planned by their group,he was working on his own accord. However, they do sanction what he did.

Averagely average! ***
    i thought the pilot was great,seein young bill adama was cool.was interestin to see at the start he didn't really like his father just like the way lee didn't like bill in BSG,

i liked the bit were joseph adams tells willie that the family name is adama,that was cool,hearin the cylon say "by your command" was great,they only ever said that twice in BSG (mini-series,razor),i didn't expect it to move along so quick.i thought it wud be a while before they put a personality into a centurion,kinda explains we the cylons created skin jobs aswel

one thing i find a bit wierd tho is in caprica they have these cool gadgets like the paper computer thing,the holoband n this is 58 years before the fall.so by the time BSG is set they could have all sorts of stuff but we never seen technology like that in BSG although they do have ships n FTL drives ha.....or is it only the greystones that have them gadgets??

can't wait to see more,also the culture of the different planets is interestin.wud be great to hear all along the watchtower come in somewhere :pac:

The thing is,Battlestar galactica was becoming a museum. I think it's as simple as there was just none of that technology on board the day the cylons attacked. A lot of it wouldn't exactly make sense on a military vessel anyway ( electronic tenniscourts,robot butlers etc..). Adama also made sure the ship didn't have a wireless network so that probably rules out the use of holobands anyway. Even if there had been a wireless network on board, it's possible the holobands;paper computers etc.. can't be used off world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Averagely average! ***
    The Galactica was suposed to be decommisioned and scrapped, it was an old sytle vessels. As such it didn't have the more advanced technology, it didn't have the more modern Raptors either.

You'll see different more modern ship designs in the shipyards that were destroyed by the Cylons.

What about "The Plan" that movie?....when is that going to drop?

Averagely average! ***

What about "The Plan" that movie?....when is that going to drop?

November. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

Averagely average! ***
    I got the feeling that Daniel Graystones house was like Bill Gates house. Full of advanced gadgets but absolutely not standard to everyone.

I'm gonna guess that the whole holoband technology will be viewed as the reason for creating Cylons and will be destroyed to prevent further disaster. I'm more convinced now than ever that the Hybrid in Razor is Daniel Graystone.

I think Joseph Adama is going to be against the creation of Cylons because of the disturbing experience he had with the copy of his daughter. He will try to legally shut down Daniel Graystones work.

And Daniel Graystone will not allow the destruction of the Cylons because they will be the only link to his daughter.

The moral dilemma of creating a life for the purpose of implanting in a robot will probably be the main issue we face in the first season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I got the feeling that Daniel Graystones house was like Bill Gates house. Full of advanced gadgets but absolutely not standard to everyone.

I'm gonna guess that the whole holoband technology will be viewed as the reason for creating Cylons and will be destroyed to prevent further disaster. I'm more convinced now than ever that the Hybrid in Razor is Daniel Graystone.

I think Joseph Adama is going to be against the creation of Cylons because of the disturbing experience he had with the copy of his daughter. He will try to legally shut down Daniel Graystones work.

And Daniel Graystone will not allow the destruction of the Cylons because they will be the only link to his daughter.

The moral dilemma of creating a life for the purpose of implanting in a robot will probably be the main issue we face in the first season.

Good shout.

I always thought Daniel would be Kara's father and the Hybrid but obviously the father bit was proven wrong.

The Daniel hybrid makes so much sense though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Averagely average! ***

I thought that myself but when you think about

A retired battlestar
    A fe civillian liners for transports
    a refinary

what was in bsg was in no way the height of colonial civilisation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Good but not great! ****
    Well i presume pre-war caprica was at a height of a golden period of wealth. In it they have the same trains as they did just before the fall, 58 years is a long time to operate with the same carriages.
    And it was always a established that humans shunned technology after the cylons turned on them so computer paper, which so far only appear to have been to networking purposes wouldn't be a priorty in a non networked post war society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Good but not great! ****
    "Galactica is a reminder of a time when we were so frightened by our enemies that we literally looked backward for protection."

I'm thinking the technology we are seeing such as this computer paper (for lack of a better term) and the holo-band were probably only available to the rich such as the Graystones, then of course all that technology is shunned since it must have been succeptable to cylon attack.

Even 58 years later they havent re-embraced some of this technology, which makes me think it must have been expensive stuff since they brought back computer networks, so why not paper-thin displays?

So it's all very interesting, I'm thinking we'll see Caprica change a lot throughout the course of this series, I'm seriously looking forward to it.

I'd love to see how the Cylon rebellion went down, so hopefully they get that far... how the cylons built a fleet in 6 years (Caprica is set 58 years ago, 12 years of war, 40 years of peace = 6years of build up to war) and I'd love to see a fleet of battlestars duke it out with some basestars, expanding on what we saw briefly in Razor! :D

I'm thinking though that they'll just cover the 6 years before the war and maybe some of the early war, but I'd say they wont go any further since that could probably be it's own series and transcends the subject matter, which is events on Caprica.

Averagely average! ***
    I was so nervous that Caprica would be compared to BSG and disliked but it seems to have gone down well.

I loved the moment when Joseph talks to William near the end and you hear the tune to "Admiral and Commander" for a few seconds. Probably the only time during Caprica that I thought about how much I miss BSG. aww.

Averagely average! ***
    Just to expand on my thought of Daniel Graystone being the Hybrid in Razor.......

The Cylons devoted to that Hybrid were trying to create Skinjobs. This sounds like a desperate effort to try create a human body for his daughter. Maybe that's the motivation behind the Cylons wanting to evolve.

Also, it'd be fascinating if his reasoning for killing and experimenting on people was to create immortality. So in his eyes he would actually be doing something good but in other peoples eyes he would be considered evil. This is all speculation of course if infact he is the Hybrid.

Averagely average! ***
    ye i watched the razor extended dvd today with the old base stars fighting the battlestars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Good but not great! ****
    Good show! Very pleasantly surprised.

Big nine month wait now? Balls.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Good stuff - took me a bit to get into this but ultimately I liked it. It looks like it'll be more thoughtful than its parent show and cover a range of issues concerning humanity.

I did worry, initially, that all those teens running around signalled a show almost for adolescents. Of course my faith was restored when they all got incinerated in a massive explosion fifteen minutes later :D

Wasn't Ronald D. Moore pitching a show about virtual reality a while back? Was the VR in this perhaps a left-over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TOS COLEMAN

Good but not great! ****
    was listening out for the music in caprica to see if it was as good as bsg n the only song i liked was just after jospeh tells willie about the family name adama.when the cylon prototype is shootin up suff,that song is cool,

joseph adama seems like a very likable character even tho romo lampkin hates him ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Averagely average! ***
    Oh christ - American teenagers...

*throws up*

Averagely average! ***
    Orizio wrote: »
    Oh christ - American teenagers...

*throws up*

Caprican teenagers. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Averagely average! ***
    Leprachaun wrote: »
    Caprican teenagers. ;)

Caprican, American, Tauran, Italian, you say potato, I say... ;)

It was quite good, just as long as they tone down the religious polemic a tad and blow up the rest of those hideous American/Caprican teenagers... :p

Good but not great! ****
    Taurans are most definitely not Italian, they're Mexican or Latino.

Averagely average! ***
    robby^5 wrote: »
    Taurans are most definitely not Italian, they're Mexican or Latino.

I thought they had more of a european vipe going on. Italian mafia families with a dash of mexican.

Good but not great! ****
    Yeah they certainly have a mafiosa vibe to them but theyre definately mexican/latino. That was a big thing with Edward James Olmos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Good but not great! ****
    like the casting of girl dislikable, bit wierd looking.

like that cylons begin by grieving fathers but i think they skipped over the ethical questions a bit quick

seems religion was hardwired into the cylons

Good but not great! ****

?Eh, did you not see the last one where we see
    zoe's friend the suicide bomber is still alive in the holoband world.
    That was a pretty big development.

Good but not great! ****
    Leprachaun wrote: »
    I thought they had more of a european vipe going on. Italian mafia families with a dash of mexican.

Certainly they are the Twelve Colonies' Mafia, but they're origins are definitely Mexican/Latino just like Edward James Olmos. I didnt hear any wiseguy accents in there.

This is going to be another really cool aspect to the show, people being defined by their home colony will introduce a whole race aspect to things.

Averagely average! ***
    like that cylons begin by grieving fathers but i think they skipped over the ethical questions a bit quick

Not really - i got the impression that only 3 people know its possible to do it - once it becomes public knowledge i expect some riots and demonstrations with maybe caprica police siding with the company because they are manufactuing cylons.

Or something along those lines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

User45701 wrote: »
    Not really - i got the impression that only 3 people know its possible to do it - once it becomes public knowledge i expect some riots and demonstrations with maybe caprica police siding with the company because they are manufactuing cylons.

Or something along those lines

So do the Cylons rebel because they are being enslaved or because they disagree with the idea of 12 gods?

Always assumed it was enslavement with the idea of a one true god coming later but not necessarily true now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 frapp

Averagely average! ***
    i enjoyed it , i dont know if i liked it more cause the DVD pilot was feature lenght and im a fan of Eric Stoltz , but i feel it lacked the tension of BSG as a whole , maybe it will get better if it goes into full production :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Good but not great! ****
    I really enjoyed it, I gotta say... but as a stand-alone movie type event.

I honestly cant see where it can go that wont just be weird and stupid, as a tv series.
    Watching people bring about their own downfall is painful enough, watching it while knowing definitively the end result - that's just horrific.

Averagely average! ***
    noodler wrote: »
    So do the Cylons rebel because they are being enslaved or because they disagree with the idea of 12 gods?

Always assumed it was enslavement with the idea of a one true god coming later but not necessarily true now.

Sorry, i was more trying to guess about the early plot lines for the show.

Long term i see the cylon that we saw being mass produced for defence, but there is no reason not to upgrade all cybernetic units - even the ones in houses with these chips, and why not the ones in the construction industry as well - makes them more intelligent and work more efficently.

The Cylons wont like that and i think the end of season 1 or 2 will start with a cylon suicide bomber in protest of conditions or treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Good but not great! ****
    what I'd love to see would be a series or mini-series chronocling the first Cylon war. it'd be fresh because we'd have twelve battlestars (among other millitary ships) at first, with more coming. there would be large pitched battles whereon the show, except for a few occasions, when toasters showed up, the colonials (rightly) **** their gold/brown flight-suits and ran. just how could you fit twelve years of war into a short show?

Good but not great! ****
    User45701 wrote: »
    Not really - i got the impression that only 3 people know its possible to do it - once it becomes public knowledge i expect some riots and demonstrations

i think the grieving fathers stepped over the ethical questions even for grieving fathers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Full_Circle

It was a little more enjoyable than expected, from the trailer a few months back, I predicted a train wreck (no pun intended!). The tech was really cool. The characters a bit too cold. I loved the Athenian headmistress though! (She was brill in "Rome"). The different races/cultures was interesting and I'm glad they are still going with the whole religious angle too.

It was also nice to see the xfiles Smoking Man make an appearance! :pac:
    Ivan wrote: »
    I honestly cant see where it can go that wont just be weird and stupid, as a tv series.
    Watching people bring about their own downfall is painful enough, watching it while knowing definitively the end result - that's just horrific.

I get what your saying there Ivan, but just like on "Lost", where many times we know whats going to happen in certain episodes (from the flash forwards), sometimes the enjoyment is in seeing HOW the characters got to that point, as opposed to just know the end result. I'm sure the writers will still manage to keep us on our toes.

A couple of things really bothered me though.

1) Someone earlier in the thread commented that the idea for the show was very fresh and had yet to be explored, but did anyone else not think it smacked a little of the movie "AI"?

2) How come, when he had a copy of his dead daughters personality, Stoltz didnt think to maybe make a BACKUP of it, before experimenting with sticking it into a Cylons body? I mean come on people, common sense!

3) If this show is set 58 years before BSG, how frackin old WAS Adama in BSG? I mean, he looks to be about 10 in this. Surely he wasnt 68 in BSG??

All in all, looking forward to the series. Cant believe we have to wait so long though! I'm hoping they stick with few episodes per season than BSG. More eps usually translates into more filler.

Good but not great! ****
    well he's about 62 in reallife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Full_Circle

well he's about 62 in reallife

That would make his younger onscreen child character 4 though :pac:

Averagely average! ***
    64 anyway - i would have guessed he was 6 in caprica.

I love "before the fall" both in the last ep of bsg and at the start of caprica - it just have a nice ring to it - "Caprica - before the fall" ....

Oh and "lostexpectation" different people have different moral standpoints. i see nothing wrong with cloning or what was done in this - was a bit freaky when she couldnt feel hear heart beating though! Still we are talking about practical importality if it could be achieved. You can live as long as you want and when you are bored you just flip your switch to the off position and i know im rambleing but it would be kool if you could just sleap for 50, 100 or 500 years.

Good but not great! ****
    3) If this show is set 58 years before BSG, how frackin old WAS Adama in BSG? I mean, he looks to be about 10 in this. Surely he wasnt 68 in BSG??

I thought Joseph Adama mention that william is 12 to his mother. Which would make him 70. Either way its a believable age considering he was retiring when the attacks happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

cotwold wrote: »
    I thought Joseph Adama mention that william is 12 to his mother. Which would make him 70. Either way its a believable age considering he was retiring when the attacks happened.
    ya he was 11 and having hes 12th birthday soon, or was he 10 having his 11th, either way hes either 69/70 when the second war starts, and hes about 73/75 when they find earth, or even older, seeing as they were on new caprica for over a year,

also did anyone find it odd that such a society still have no smoking ban :D

the first cylon war ends in 18 years right as there was peace for 40 years, am i correct??,

so why cant the series start say 2 years later as the tech is perfected and full production is about to start on the centurians,

season 2, there in service say 4-5 years, and are becoming less and less dependant on humans and are eveolving and becoming annoyed that they carry out such important tasks yet are treated as 3rd rate citizens,

season 3, they rebel the war starts,

season 4, war continues final five arrive about half-way, start ressurection we find out who all the 8 models were based on (would love to know who 6 is based on), cylons end the first war, kill the final five, and place them in there prespective places, with there momories wiped for the next war,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Talisman

Having read the press release many moons ago I wasn't expecting much, it made the series sound like Dallas...
    Dallas follows two rival oil families and their patriarchs - John Ross Ewing Jr. (Larry Hagman) and Cliff Barnes (Ken Kercheval) - as they compete in the Texas oil and cattle-ranching industries. Enmeshed in a world of wealth, sex, intrigue, and power struggles that will eventually lead to every tv series requiring ratings-grabbing end of season cliffhangers, the two houses go toe-to-toe blending action with corporate conspiracy and sexual politics.
    See what I did there? :)

Let me start with a knit pick ...

Caprica - Formal Studio Press Release:
    Set 50 years before Battlestar Galactica, Caprica follows two rival families and their patriarchs - Daniel Graystone (Eric Stoltz) and Joseph Adama (Esai Morales) - as they compete and thrive in the vibrant world of the 12 Colonies, a society recognizably close to our own. Enmeshed in the burgeoning technology of artificial intelligence and robotics that will eventually lead to the creation of the Cylons, the two houses go toe-to-toe blending action with corporate conspiracy and sexual politics.

Ronald D. Moore video blog:
    Caprica is set 50 years before the events of the Battlestar Galactica series...

Caprica opening titles :
    58 years before the fall...
    My first thoughts were what happened to make them add another 8 years?

On to the show ... knowing how it's all going to end meant that I wasn't too intrigued by the whole Adama side of things. I mean we know that Joe Adama goes on to become a highly revered judge, William Adama goes into the military and eventually becomes the captain of the Battlestar Galactica. David Graystone's story is the one I wanted to see, I imagine that Gaius Baltar would have been like him had he lived in the same era.

For a brief moment I thought that the actor playing Zoe Graystone (Alessandra Toreson) was Eliza Dushku because the voice is so similar and I may have overdosed on Dollhouse recently.

The VR night club looks remarkably similar to the Opera House in BSG. Which leads to the question who created the VR program? Especially when it was a member of the One True God group that showed the girls there was more to the VR than meets the eye.

I presume that Joe Adama is the mafioso enforcer guy's brother. I don't think it was said but he told Graystone that he was an orphan and had come to Caprica with his brother as a child and in another scene he said to the enforcer "We're not on Tauron any more".

Zoe Graystone - her work in creating the AI of herself shows her to be a genius, especially considering she was only a teenager going to high school. It would have been nice to see how she was recruited into the cult.

In the BSG mini-series Baltar had a tv interview and said something about not letting the war with the chrome toasters prevent the colonies from moving forward through the use of technology. All the technology on display in the Caprica pilot shows how badly the first Cylon war affected the colonies. From the final scene it's obvious that the Cylon can already interface with the colonial technology.

I must say I'm now looking forward to the series, it's got elements of Gattaca, The Matrix, The Lawnmower Man, Terminator, Robocop and Ghost in the Shell and set in the universe of BSG. Where could it possibly go wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Good but not great! ****
    I've had this sitting on my desk at home, waiting to be watched, since release day. I think we were a little nervous for fear it ruined the whole BSG effect. Finally "got over it" last night and watched Caprica.

Must say, I loved it. Can't wait for season 1 to start.

Although it was blatantly obvious, I still got a chill down my spine when J. Adams told his son "Adama!"

Loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

Good but not great! ****
    Really enjoyed it!

Very different to bsg, but maintains the same level of quality in its acting, story and music.

To add to the speculation about future plot holes has anyone seen the part of the Animatrix called The Second Renaissance?

Its very good and deals with how the machines came about rebelling against the humans. I could see the future arcs, before the rebellion following that direction.

Just finished watching it, so it's still digesting, will probably comment more when its settle.

Great start though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,559 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Averagely average! ***
    Just after watching it now.
    Overall it was decent enough but not a patch on the BSG Miniseries.
    It lacked suspense and tension and had too many religious undertones .
    The plot seemed contrived and very predictable in places .
    It wasnt bad but I'm not craving for more like I was after BSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Averagely average! ***
    A few quick things: the 'V Club' is the same opera house as the Opera House from Battlestar, as stated by Moore, Eick and the director of the pilot Jeffery Reiner on the DVD commentary. Moore was unsure of this until Eick confirmed it to him, so it was more of a case of it being in Vancouver and easily acessible than them trying to tie it into the Battlestar mythos. William Adama was eleven years old during the pilot. The enforcer character is defintely Joesph's brother, and his name is Sam Adama. According to the commentary he was not envisiged as an important character in the show but they were impressed by the actor and plan for him to feature frequently in the series, comparing him to Helo in the Battlestar pilot.

The deleted scenes are anything but un-interesting, with the one not mentioned here yet involving Joseph Adama and his brother having a scene on the street where the brother tells Joseph that Greystone's daughter was involved in the blowing up of the train, and while Joseph stops him from killing Greystone straight away he vows 'blood for blood'.

The reason why these scenes were cut is the most interesting aspect - was it simple pace editing or did they decide these scenes didn't suit the characters in the situations they're currently in?

I enjoyed the pilot and enjoyed the balance it struck mostly, even if some of Daniel's 'passionate' monologues were anything but. I found him to be both too cold and yet a somewhat endearing character. I hope the monothestic cult develop into more than a facile attempt to comment on mordern day extremism as that in itself has been explored ad nauseum in the last eight years, and most of this creative team already did it in a far more compelling way during the New Caprica arc on Battlestar. Honestly though, we'd need to get to the meat of the series and see how the characters react to other situations and the plots develop before we can box them into any descriptors confidently. I want to watch the series, which is ultimately the main aim of any pilot.

I never got any indiction that this series will leak into some sort of 'epic' war series - the most obvious real world reasons being none of the main characters would be involved directly in the war games so almost an entire new cast would be needed if any conflict was anything but window dressing. Depending on how the show treats time it's very much concievable that the series will end at the begining of the war.

And anyways, the worst thing this show could do is desperately grope at trying to be a proto-Battlestar Galactica. I went into the pilot with far less pre-concieved notions about how it was supposed to tie to Battlestar than most of you evidently did - from Moore's track record it's very clear he's more concerned about character development and making good self-contained storylines than trying to make out that he is following some sort of bible of universe continunity.

I think some of us went into Battlestar Galactica itself with the wrong conceptions about it, trying to apply Star Trek-style detail to every facet of the story and letting some precieved features (re: Daniel) gain a level of reverence in the fan community even though the have absolutely no basis in fact beyond passing reference. I think that mentality prevades sci fi fandom in general and on evidence of this thread it has very much carried over to this show.

In short - let this show stand on its own two feet and don't attach your Battlestar hopes and theories to it because all that will do is make the fanbase more likely to turn on the show when they realise that the show isn't going to provide them with as many 'fan facts' as they expected.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Good but not great! ****
    apprehensive that this could be a money roller after the success of BSG so hesitated in watching it, finally did so last night, excellent stuff, happy camper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 artemis00

Not great at all! **
    A quick question...
    Zoe and Ben were headed to Gemenon, presumably in my opinion, to seek religious freedom or tolerance.
    (I could be completely wrong about their motives.)
    Aren't the Gemenese the fund-ies of the twelve colonies? Do you think the change will be explained in the series?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭John The Bad

Not great at all! **
    SPOILERS!

I was disappointed by 'Caprica'. I watched it months ago, so I can't rightly remember exactly what bugged me (one thing I do remember was shouting at the telly near the end, "why didn't ya make a back-up, ya eejit?") but overall, I felt it was weak, poor writing, poor acting and uninteresting characters (especially the teenagers).

I liked the guy playing Joseph Adama but found Stolz too cold.

Right at the start, I was grabbed and when I saw the guy get executed in the nightclub, I sat straight up and said, "holy fu*k!" I was well impressed. So when it turned out to be VR, it lost it's impact.

The teacher was uninteresting, as was Greystone's wife, as was the mafia plot. And it felt like they put too much into the pilot.

So I'm not dying for the series to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

LoLth wrote: »
    If it goes to cylon war the series could run the risk of becoming a new space above and beyond, which, while liked by many was still a complete flop overall and ended up getting axed.

Space: Above & Beyond was ****ing legend. The way that show was killed off was a ****ing travesty.

Resevring judgement on Caprica. Could turn out to be a crock of ****. Has potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Averagely average! ***
    Caprica exec producer Jane Espenson is using her powers as a charter member of the Whedonverse for good. Sources confirm exclusively that Buffy all-star James Marsters is joining the Battlestar Galactica prequel for a sizable arc.
    Marsters will play a dangerous terrorist leader by the name of Barnabus Greeley in a minimum of three episodes. Driven by desires both moralistic and carnal, Barnabus is as lethal as he is unpredictable.
    And no ones does lethal and unpredictable better than Marsters.
    Caprica is set to make its Syfy debut on Jan. 22.

:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement