Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

child minder vs creche

Options
  • 13-04-2009 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭

we have a two and a half year old who has been in creche since Nov '07. Very happy there and staff appear very good, no problems ever.

Fees are 935 p/m

we have since had another baby who is now 3 months old and, all going according to plan, Mrs Stuntman will be going back to work in November this year when he will be 10/11 months old.
    I chatted with the creche owner last week to see if any discounts would apply for a second child and was bluntly told 'no' (as they are 'losing business' :rolleyes:). So this would be €1,870 in creche fees p/m from November onwards. This would be more than our mortgage and with the increase in levies last week (and the pension levy also applying to Mrs S) would stretch our household budget.

Does anyone know what a childminder would charge for an equivalent service (kids are in from approx 8.45 - 4.15)? If we could realise a reasonable saving from switching (i.e more than 500 p/m) this would make sense for us financially - obviously as long as we were happy with the quality of care provided? Also, are there any online directories etc. of childminders?

If anyone on here has any advice on swicthing from creche to childminder (including non-financial considerations), would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Where are you based? My OH is looking for childminding work and is in south dublin?

Can PM if you're looking for details.

For a reference, she was working for about a quarter of what you were paying :D would like a little more but it's better than creche prices anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

are there any other creches near you? The crech my friend works in and nny of the other creches I've seen advertise around Kilkenny always state cheaper rates depending on the number of children you have. Shop around and regardless of wither you go with a childminder or a creche let the creche know why your taking your kid out. Pretty much everyone has taken a hit recently and they should be doing everything to keep loyal business rather then trying leech money from people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Lilyblue

Try advertising in your local shop / supermarket for a childminder nearer the time you are due back to work. Best of luck with your search!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hitman76

we have a two and a half year old who has been in creche since Nov '07. Very happy there and staff appear very good, no problems ever.

Fees are 935 p/m

we have since had another baby who is now 3 months old and, all going according to plan, Mrs Stuntman will be going back to work in November this year when he will be 10/11 months old.
    I chatted with the creche owner last week to see if any discounts would apply for a second child and was bluntly told 'no' (as they are 'losing business' :rolleyes:). So this would be €1,870 in creche fees p/m from November onwards. This would be more than our mortgage and with the increase in levies last week (and the pension levy also applying to Mrs S) would stretch our household budget.

Does anyone know what a childminder would charge for an equivalent service (kids are in from approx 8.45 - 4.15)? If we could realise a reasonable saving from switching (i.e more than 500 p/m) this would make sense for us financially - obviously as long as we were happy with the quality of care provided? Also, are there any online directories etc. of childminders?

If anyone on here has any advice on swicthing from creche to childminder (including non-financial considerations), would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Would you not think of asking you employer about maybe being flexible i.e. shift work or maybe dropping some hours, I know it sounds mad as you may need the money but you see I just wouldn't trust anyone with my kids but my family as in my mam and sis, all the cash on childminders & creches is mad when you think about it I think.
    good luck with what ever you do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

HSE should have a list of registered childminders in your area. It depends on where you live really what rates apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭eimsRV

Congrats on baby no 2 el stuntman. I've been doing a bit of research myself as I've a daughter similar age and I'll be looking for childcare come autumn too.
    The rates I've been getting for a childminder have ranged from 40 to 75euro per day for roughly a 8.5 hour day.
    You can check with HSE for reg childminders, and also on rollercoaster as they have a huge list, plus childminders advertise there too.

http://www.rollercoaster.ie/local_childcare/childcare_chp.asp

Best of luck
    Eims

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

contact your local County Childcare Committee for a list of registered childminders in your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

Thanks for all the responses
    RedXIV wrote: »
    Where are you based? My OH is looking for childminding work and is in south dublin?

Can PM if you're looking for details.

For a reference, she was working for about a quarter of what you were paying :D would like a little more but it's better than creche prices anyway :D

No, we are North Dublin City (Raheny) but thanks for the offer; that rate is definitely something to shoot for!
    ztoical wrote: »
    are there any other creches near you? The crech my friend works in and nny of the other creches I've seen advertise around Kilkenny always state cheaper rates depending on the number of children you have. Shop around and regardless of wither you go with a childminder or a creche let the creche know why your taking your kid out. Pretty much everyone has taken a hit recently and they should be doing everything to keep loyal business rather then trying leech money from people.

I've already expressed this view to them but they didn't want to know (despite admitting that the number of kids in the creche was way down). Some people really have zero business acumen - the boomtime was so easy for a lot of businesses that they have no idea how to recalibrate to the recession. And to be quite frank, if that's their attitude, then they deserve to go out of business.
    hitman76 wrote: »
    Would you not think of asking you employer about maybe being flexible i.e. shift work or maybe dropping some hours, I know it sounds mad as you may need the money but you see I just wouldn't trust anyone with my kids but my family as in my mam and sis, all the cash on childminders & creches is mad when you think about it I think.
    good luck with what ever you do

not an option, we are both professionals and want\need to work. We don't have much immediate family in Dublin anyway and those that are there have their own careers to occupy them.
    The only flexi-time available would be a 4-day week (i.e. parental leave) for Mrs S and this doesn't solve the problem of childcare.

I agree with you that the expense of pre-school chilcare is insane, which is why I'm trying to do something about it!
    eimsRV wrote: »
    Congrats on baby no 2 el stuntman. I've been doing a bit of research myself as I've a daughter similar age and I'll be looking for childcare come autumn too.
    The rates I've been getting for a childminder have ranged from 40 to 75euro per day for roughly a 8.5 hour day.
    You can check with HSE for reg childminders, and also on rollercoaster as they have a huge list, plus childminders advertise there too.

http://www.rollercoaster.ie/local_childcare/childcare_chp.asp

Best of luck
    Eims

Thanks, that looks very useful.
    contact your local County Childcare Committee for a list of registered childminders in your area.

Thanks, will do that too

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

You would probably get a childminder into your own home for those rates!!!

Go on to rollercoaster and put up an ad and see what comes back. I would imagine someone minding in their home would be cheaper. But there is no getting away from the fact that having two kids in childcare is expensive. That creche are being incredibly foolish. I wonder which one it is, I used one in Raheny too for my first and when we no two it worked out a bit more expensive to have someone come to our house than it would to have bothin crech and after school so we got someone in and it is so much less stressful. No packing up kids in the morning and they are at home and together and the older one can ahev friendsover after school. Definitely check your options and check other creches around. I've never heard of there being no discount for another sibling.

Advertisement