Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble with flat and landlord

Options
  • 13-04-2009 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

hey guys, im in a mad rush to get out of the house and ont have time to use google.

I'm having a problem with my bedsit. There were watermarks when I moved in and they have all grown since then. I was on a 3 week holiday in england, and when I got back there were water marks down one of my walls by the window that had never been there before.

Over the course of a week an atrocious leak has occured all along the wall. It is actually dangerous. Each day it gets much worse and is to the point where it is wearing the paint on the wall away. After two days of this getting worse we had enough. We finally located teh drip....turns out it was many drips. Overnight the leak started to pour....right on to my tv and electric equipment. which made for a fun game of dodge the death.

It was a bank holiday so I had a hard time getitng the landlord. I finally did, and he sent someone out within half an hour. I thought thius was great....the guys claimed it was the roof (it is that, but i demand my ceiling be fixed) and that they were going to send someone over first thing in the morning. (that would have been satruday).

No one materialised of course and the landlord has not been in touch. It's raining now and the drip is 3 times as bad as it was on friday when it rained. My curtains are sopping and there is a giant pool of water on my shelf, the walls are all soaked. The shelf is seriously water warped.

I don't feel like im safe staying here, but have no where to go. Im going to call the landlord as soon as I get n my way in 5 minutes.

What are my rights?

I'm angry as hell and as far as im concerned, im legally entitled to stay here rent free until the landlord decides to get off his ass and do something. My landlord tends to come in and mask over problems, make everything look prettier and leave. I don't want to put up with that and as I am terrified my ceiling is going to collapse one of these days.

Advice would be appreciated as i am a student on her own for the first time, and really do not feel like getting screwed over by a middle aged man who would like to pat me on the head and send me on my way.

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Bedsits are illegal. Report the landlord to the PTRB and leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

what's the difference between a bedsit and a studio?

I've lived in a studio, was ok.
    And daft has hundreds advertised

Not trying to hijack your thread OP, it might help if you find out if something illegal is going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Neverwhere

nah its ok :)

I'm really not sure the difference, I think studio is bigger and has more than one room? Like the kitchen is a seperate smaller room or something? A bedsit is a bedroom and kitchen in one room. A lot of bedsits are a room of your own and shared kitchen and bathroom, but I think the law is now that all bedsits legally have to be self contained. (mine is)

as far as i can see i am in my legal rights to withhold rent for the week he hasnt fixed it thus far and for as long as this problem goes on without being fixed.

This place is turning into a health hazard, and for that reason I am going to be requesting (politely and firmly demanding) a new carpet as this one is just going to get more mouldy with the leak.

Landlord is under legal obligation to fix it immidiately, public holidays and all seeing as it is an emergency...so thats not excuse.

As far as I can gather if work being done prevents me from living in the bedsit landlord has to put me up somewhere for that time. etc

I've also been told that if the worst comes to the worst and the landlord is difficult I should go to the health and safety board as I'm sure he would be in quite a bit of trouble if they saw this building....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If the landlord can't / doesn't give you somewhere else immediately, seriously consider moving out. Its not staying in a place like that even if its rent free. While you can demand rent free, he doesn't have to give it - he just needs to fix the place. Certainly minimise your losses my wrapping valuble things in plastic.

On Tuesday, talk to threshold and the housing department of your local council. www.threshold.ie

In a bed-sit, you may not have full kitchen and/or bathroom facilities. A studio should be fully self-contained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Neverwhere

Thanks for the reply Victor, the only reason i am still in the flat is because it is the only thing i can afford.

Really stressed. Went down to the landlord yesterday and complained that the guy was supposed to come to fix the roof 4 days previously. I also told them how bad its got (you can now hear the dripping from where the rain gets it, hits off the ceiling above and then falls through to the floor) and that I need a new carpet and curtains.

They ignored me, and just called the contractor they use. Get this....he said it was the bank holiday weekend and he didnt feel like working. Can anyone say **** you?I have friends who are contractors, plumbers, etc and if called with a serious emergency would get someone out to you.

ive been left waiting a week.

i have thought of using threshold, but im scared of alienating the landlord. the last thing i need is more trouble with them. ive heard of people going to the health and safety board and having the landlord proceed to look for any little excuse to kick them out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement