Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading mobo/processors

Options
  • 13-04-2009 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been thinking a lot about this, ideally I would like to upgrade my dated mother board and processor's but I keep reading tutorials on how difficult this is. Anybody here change their motherboard recently and can offer any advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

If you can use a screwdriver then that's how difficult it is. All you have to do is make sure the mobo is the same form factor as your case and that your power supply is of the right type for the mobo power connections. Test the mobo/cpu combo outside the case first to make sure it makes POST, you obviously have to stick your graphics card in the board to make sure of this. If you get stuck give us a shout but it really isn't difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

they have a very difficult way of explaining things. most connections only fit in what they are for so you can only make limited mistakes. I find the anoying bit the reinstall, not needed if you run on vista though.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Hi,

Where I have been reading trouble was the compatability with the operating system, every tut talks about creating system images, back up/de-installation of every piece of s/w, and re-installation of everything when the new mobo is in place.
    I didnt think that was the case as I thought the hard drives and XP should have enough information to see a new mobo and deal with it accordingly.
    Im probably going to buy a new case as the one I have is a tad small for my evil plans.

Will upgrading the processors give any trouble providing they are compatable with the mobo ?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

stylie wrote: »
    Hi,

Where I have been reading trouble was the compatability with the operating system, every tut talks about creating system images, back up/de-installation of every piece of s/w, and re-installation of everything when the new mobo is in place.
    I didnt think that was the case as I thought the hard drives and XP should have enough information to see a new mobo and deal with it accordingly.
    Im probably going to buy a new case as the one I have is a tad small for my evil plans.

Will upgrading the processors give any trouble providing they are compatable with the mobo ?

thanks

New CPU is no problem, you don't need to reinstall windows or anything else. Just change the chip and thats it. Windows should auto detect and you should be fine.

New motherboard: there are ways around having to reinstall windows, but your best bet is to do a clean install as it leads to less issues in the long run with windows. Windows does not react well to a motherboard change.

Still you could try what is suggested here and do a repair install of XP...
    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1755&page=5
    (i still would back everything up twice before trying the below)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Thnaks for the advice lads, I might not dive in yet. Im going to go through my software and trim as much as i can and try to see any potential trouble. I might be back, but if im back that means it worked and I dont need help, and if im not back it means it didnt work and I need your help but I cant get it,,Arghhhhhh

• Advertisement
Advertisement