Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Map update

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

This is why Garmin are doomed and smart phones will replace these god awful outdated GPS systems.

I just downloaded 2011.4 and it's missing all the roads around me, Limerick Tunnel, M18 to Gort and large parts of the M7.

If Google, Bing, MapQuest and Tele Atlas can have these roads updated, I cannot see why Garmin takes forever. Most of these roads have been open for more than 6 months, plus they have been under construction with route confirmed since 2006/07.

Advice to anyone buying a GPS, DO NOT BUY A GARMIN! Reason, their maps are about year out of date. Plus many housing estates are not featured, even ones built in 2005 (ours). Not sure how the Loc8 codes can work if it directs you to a large field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'm a bit baffled how its so out of date.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

TomToms v870 is ready & will be available early May.
    Heres hoping it will be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

lukejr wrote: »
    This is why Garmin are doomed and smart phones will replace these god awful outdated GPS systems.

I just downloaded 2011.4 and it's missing all the roads around me, Limerick Tunnel, M18 to Gort and large parts of the M7.

If Google, Bing, MapQuest and Tele Atlas can have these roads updated, I cannot see why Garmin takes forever. Most of these roads have been open for more than 6 months, plus they have been under construction with route confirmed since 2006/07.

Advice to anyone buying a GPS, DO NOT BUY A GARMIN! Reason, their maps are about year out of date. Plus many housing estates are not featured, even ones built in 2005 (ours). Not sure how the Loc8 codes can work if it directs you to a large field.

If anyone wishes to check the exact state of Navteq mapping updates on Garmin devices for V 2011.40 please view here

With respect to Loc8 Codes;- they work irrespective of mapping/streets or roads loaded on the device as they define the exact destination with or without an address;- which you can navigate to by standard straighline navigation at any time. In this case, whilst the SatNav will not identify a road based route, it will still guide you to the destination. This and many other address related issues are exactly the problems that Loc8 Codes solve.

Also Loc8 Codes are created normally at loc8code.com which uses Ordnance survey mapping which is the most accurate and up-to-date for the whole country at any time. The Loc8 OS vector mapping was updated a few weeks ago and the image data will be updated over the next few weeks. Users will see higher resolution imagery in many areas at that point and, as many people have already noticed, the line data for roads, field boundaries and properties is also overlaid onto the imagery. Property numbers where they exist are also present - a very detailed map service!

Loc8 Codes are now also available as an iphone App called point8 which allows Loc8 codes to be used for Navigation on Google Maps & Navigon and TomTom Apps. Loc8 Codes can also be created using the device internal GPS for emailing/texting/twittering or sending to Facebook. In addition QR Codes can be created for Loc8 Codes and point8 will allow the user take a photo of a QR code (on signs/billboards, PC Screens etc) and if there is a Loc8 Code in it it will extract it and present it ready for Navigation.

garydubh wrote: »
    If anyone wishes to check the exact state of Navteq mapping updates on Garmin devices for V 2011.40 please view here

That's a good link, really shows just how out of date Garmin is for anyone who wants to check. Open up Google Maps, OSI Maps or Open Street Maps and compare.

Regarding Loc8, kinda pointless if they are being used with a Garmin map that's years out of date. I'm currently living in a field according to Garmin along with over hundred other houses (built 2005). How can a satnav navigate you around roads and cul-de-sacs in a housing estate if it's a field!

Anyone who wonders why Garmin (NASDAQ:GRMN) shares are down to a quarter of their original peak of almost $120 in 2007, know why it's now valued at $34.

• Advertisement

Regarding Loc8, kinda pointless if they are being used with a Garmin map that's years out of date. I'm currently living in a field according to Garmin along with over hundred other houses (built 2005). How can a satnav navigate you around roads and cul-de-sacs in a housing estate if it's a field! .

Oh Loc8 Codes still work alright!!! - Yes it is an obvious setback if the roads required are not there, however you can still enter a Loc8 Code even if the road/estate name is not there - Loc8 Codes do not depend on satnav map content. Once entered the device will get you as close as it can by mapped roads and then indicate the direction/distance you need to go to your destination - its called waypoint navigation and is relatively easily followed by relating to the real world;- how its done on other non road based devices and how navigation traditionally was done. (same as "off road routing" which is supported on many devices) Not perfect but Loc8 Codes help to get around that problem on that device at that time and allow you to get there - which you would not be able to do if Loc8 Codes did not exist.

As I stated Loc8 Codes help get around the problem you raise and many others with similar cosnsequences related to:- non unique addresses widespread in Ireland, townland addresses only being general areas, different spellings, one/two word place names (mountpleasant v mount pleasant), irish v english placenames and not to forget vanity addresses as well!!!

Regarding missing roads - we really should be asking what Local Authorities/NRA are doing to ensure new road data gets passed to the satnav map makers in a timely fashion?

And we are not the only ones - woman died in Scotland recently because Ambulance was struggling with out-of-date mapping and postcodes in rural UK (including NI) are not very accurate.!

Regarding missing roads - we really should be asking what Local Authorities/NRA are doing to ensure new road data gets passed to the satnav map makers in a timely fashion?

Tele Atlas who provide the maps for Google have no problems with the updated road network, so I'm puzzled why Garmin and Navteq are so slow with the updates.

Loc8 works best with their own iPhone app, as for Garmin, what a joke.

Important that we all report map errors to help correct them:

Garmin: https://my.garmin.com/mapErrors/report.faces
    Navteq: http://mapreporter.navteq.com/
    Teleatlas: http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com/mapfeedback/index.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

After numerous "incomplete information" outcomes, I gave up submitting updates to Navteq. For example I sent them a Google screenshot of how a certain roundabout should be, located it exactly on the Navteq map etc, I can't see what more I could have done.

My housing estate, finished in 2003, appeared for the first time on 2011.4.

Garmin updated their European City maps to 2012.10 earlier this week. Which has added the Limerick Tunnel to the map.

I haven't browsed it too much but it is still missing chunks of the M7, M9 and M18. I will have a better look tonight and see if anything else has been updated in 2012.10.

Let hope Garmin update the major motorways soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

For the life of me I cant find any map newer than 2011.40 when I check, all I get is
    No update available
    Have lifetime updates, anyone else having difficulty here

• Registered Users Posts: 21,456 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I updated to 2012.10 a couple of days ago as well. Just went through mygarmin.com and there was an alert on the first page that a new version was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

bogman wrote: »
    For the life of me I cant find any map newer than 2011.40 when I check, all I get is
    Have lifetime updates, anyone else having difficulty here
    No problems here. I also have the Lifetime updates and it all went smoothly. HTH.

Updates when they are available are normally available to me when I open "MANAGE MAPS" but not this time, looked under "myMaps Download History" and there they were, installed already, wonder what updated are included

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Is the M50/N3 updated in this?

BostonB wrote: »
    Is the M50/N3 updated in this?
    Doesn't look like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Tele Atlas who provide the maps for Google have no problems with the updated road network, so I'm puzzled why Garmin and Navteq are so slow with the updates.

The only problem with TeleAtlas is they have roads in the wrong place, roads months before they actually open, and motorway junctions that don't exist - Osberstown and Aghaboe on the M7 as an example.

While NavTeq may be out-dated, you're guaranteed that the roads on it a) exist and b) are in the right place.

Castleisland bypass omitted from the latest release, many many speed limit errors throughout the country also

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

bogman wrote: »
    Castleisland bypass omitted from the latest release, many many speed limit errors throughout the country also

Hope your reported the errors to Navteq, it's the only way they'll know!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Hope your reported the errors to Navteq, it's the only way they'll know!

I got an email from TeleAtlas the other day telling me that they'd rectified an error that I'd reported to them. The report was made back in 2007.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Tele Atlas is nothing to do with Navteq or Garmin devices??:confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

KoolKid wrote: »

That's correct. However it is an example of how the process of reporting works..

For map reporter & the likes they prioritize on volume. Something one or 2 people report can remain on the bottom of the list for a long time.
    Even I sometimes have go over 4 or more map releases to get corrections propagated by Tele Atlas. 3 years is OTT though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,428 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

KoolKid wrote: »

Navteq are just as slow, three years sounds like my experience also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Just downloaded the update to my PC. Wasn't enough room on the Garmin to do it straight to it.

What do I need to delete in order to put the new files in?

Edit: Have redone via the web and only installed Uk & Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Using your link, I found this on their "latest" map, they still show the railway line to Lough Rea, which close 20/30 years ago and it now a link road to the M6

Using your link, I found this on their "latest" map, they still show the railway line to Lough Rea, which close 20/30 years ago and it now a link road to the M6
    If you zoom in closer it disappears though and is replaced by the road you mentioned. You can see the same thing if you install the maps on the PC and view them using Mapsource. It seems they use some really ancient map for the lowest zoom levels, they even have old T roads on it n places! I've emailed Garmin / Navteq about this but never got a response. This level of map seems to be for display purposes only though and never gets used for routing.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 songbirds

kleefarr wrote: »
    Just downloaded the update to my PC. Wasn't enough room on the Garmin to do it straight to it.

What do I need to delete in order to put the new files in?

Edit: Have redone via the web and only installed Uk & Ireland.

Hi there,
    These emails from Garmin are just a swizz - they encourage you to update your maps, probably a bad idea if your unit is not too old. My Garmin nuvi265
    had most of Europe loaded when it was bought, and now I find that after uploading updates I am only able to have UK and Ireland available. A message appeared when I tried to upload "all of Europe" that I did not have enough space even though other countries maps were present before update!!!!! I spent hours trying every option - choose to upload country by country as I felt I would require. Only seem to be able to get UK and Ireland to hold. I haven't seen the "Boards.ie" threads in the past - what a pity I didn't check "Boards.ie" first!!!! I would have been better off saving my money and continuing to use my own navigation skills based on road experience to find my way. I am considering asking for a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Alun wrote: »
    If you zoom in closer it disappears though and is replaced by the road you mentioned. You can see the same thing if you install the maps on the PC and view them using Mapsource. It seems they use some really ancient map for the lowest zoom levels, they even have old T roads on it n places! I've emailed Garmin / Navteq about this but never got a response. This level of map seems to be for display purposes only though and never gets used for routing.

This base map can actually be selected for "routing" on the eTrex units but seeing as it predates such things as the Newbridge Bypass (1993) and even some national secondaries let alone any other roads, and is very crudely drawn - its not much use...

2012.20 is pending within a few weeks, so we might have some updates then. I'm not even using my Nuvi at the moment in Ireland due to how hard its become to actually use with our road network!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

Attention Moderators ...
    How about updating this thread title ..... "Garmin 2010 Map update"

Probably best to simply remove "2010" as this thread will be around for a long time.

Advertisement