Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Map update

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

Garmin map update 2012.20 has just become available for download, just got a prompt to download it this evening, hopefully it will contain all the roads we have been missing.

Garmin map update 2012.20 now has the M9 in all its glory, at long last that major omission has been added.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,456 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Garmin map update 2012.20 now has the M9 in all its glory, at long last that major omission has been added.
    The N2 and N3 junctions on the M50 have finally been upgraded too, but they still haven't got the stretch of M7 between Borris and Nenagh :mad: !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Alun wrote: »
    they still haven't got the stretch of M7 between Borris and Nenagh :mad: !!!!

True

..M18 to Gort in now though

Seven Worlds will Collide

Alun wrote: »
    The N2 and N3 junctions on the M50 have finally been upgraded too, but they still haven't got the stretch of M7 between Borris and Nenagh :mad: !!!!

Make sure you notify Navteq, on this link,

http://mapreporter.navteq.com/dur-web-external/secured/submitDur.do;jsessionid=B2350440D37388044EA902CEC233681C

find the location and send info to them, it will hopefully be on the next update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Total waste of time

Seven Worlds will Collide

Total waste of time
    No it isn't. I've had 3 reported faults local to me corrected, although it did take an awfully long time (well over 18 months!)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 WDR

What about the M3?

WDR wrote: »
    What about the M3?
    It's on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

is the new layout at blanchardstown M50 on it?

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    is the new layout at blanchardstown M50 on it?
    No idea, not really my area. What am I looking for exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 WDR

Thanks Alun, but if roads are still not complete on it, its as useless as a chocolate fireguard. I'm thinking of changing to Tom Tom now. I have a nuvi 255 thats 4 years old.

BostonB, Blanchardstown/M50 is the N3/M50 junction, and Alun said earlier it was on it.

He didn't seem that clear is all. ;)

He didn't seem that clear is all. ;)
    If it's the N3 / M50 junction then yes it's been updated to the free flow layout. I thought there was some other change around Blanchardstown you were referring to.

WDR wrote: »
    Thanks Alun, but if roads are still not complete on it, its as useless as a chocolate fireguard. I'm thinking of changing to Tom Tom now. I have a nuvi 255 thats 4 years old.
    Good luck with that. Tom Tom maps (from TeleAtlas) have their own problems too.

Excellent.

Having managed to get through the convoluted Garmin update process I find that this nüvi 1300 (bought Dec 2010) does not have lifetime updates, so I can't download the update to the maps. The owner is going to be annoyed when I tell them tomorrow.

I don't really see the point of these GPS units if they are sold so badly out of date and then you can't get updates for them unless you buy them at a cost thats pretty much the same as buying a new unit.

IMO, this whole update system/process seems to be beyond the average user/consumer too. If this is the best they can do. They haven't a hope of competing with OVI maps and Google maps so easy on smart phones. I don't really see the point of them tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

They haven't a hope of competing with OVI maps and Google maps so easy on smart phones. I don't really see the point of them tbh.

Garmin, whilst I have had no trouble with them apart from not being able to contact them for an agreed replacement on the phone to give CC details, have always had convoluted agreements and IMO couched in lingo that is cleverly designed to trick the customer into buying something that the consumer and Garmin have different views on.

The smart phone are not there yet and the free maps are ad supported so we have a safety issue here if driving, the smartphone has a pit to go to replace a Garmin, but I'd say one does not have to upgrade a Garmin because your smartphone will have it updated with a new ad every few weeks.

The iPad might come close to a replacement, but nothing beats the GPS in the Garmin/Tom Tom. However the cell phone triangulation is not available to the Garmin Tom Tom so smartphone do have a little advantage ~ but quite a replacement they are yet not.

On two free map services I use, both are more up to date than the Garmin I'm using which has only just been updated but I won't be buying it.

I don't get the safety issue of using a phone for GPS vs something like a Garmin. Same difference IMO. Out of curiosity I compared this Garmin with my Nokia and if anything the Nokia was a little easier and quicker to update and give directions. The maps were the same. Well until this update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I don't get the safety issue of using a phone for GPS vs something like a Garmin. .

There as a couple of safety issues, the biggest one is the ad that appear and some change the whole screen and fade in an fade out. Other pop down from the top ~ a distraction ~ it will get on the ban list to using the mobile phone which is heavily legislated for, for driving already.

Size design and vehicle positioning, so far my iPhone Free Nav is not as easy to use, when you take the ad space into consideration the usable screen is considerable smaller.

• Advertisement

Theres no ads with Nokia OVi maps. It works the same as the GPS. The screen maybe smaller, but that will depend on the phone you use. I tend not to look at the screen and just listen to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

Having managed to get through the convoluted Garmin update process I find that this nüvi 1300 (bought Dec 2010) does not have lifetime updates,

I'm afraid you are a little confused - you have to purchase lifetime updates;- they are not free. When you purchase a device you are entitled to one free map update to bring it up to the currently available map version. Why? - well only because units can sit in warehouses/stores/shelves for quite a while before purchase and new map updates can have occured since manufacture - shopkeeper can't do it for you as the unit has to be registered first.

So you have 30 days after first use (this is recorded on the device and GPS gives accurate time/date too) to register the unit and download the latest map update from "myGarmin".

Every map when published - paper or electronic- is immediately out of date - there is an ongoing updating process which takes time and best solution is to ensure you have some form of regular updating service; if not then where you know better do better!

As for PND's V Smartphones - might do well to remember that most applications on smartphones do not have mapping loaded (Navigon and TomTom are exceptions) but OVi and Google are not. So to Navigate the phone is constantly connected to the internet drawing down map detail - at an ongoing cost - may not be obvious but its in your data charges. Also worth noting that if you have no phone coverage then you have no maps for navigation.

PND's do not need phone coverage to work and there are no use based charges but there is a cost in keeping the maps up to date.

FYI - Garmin are finalising purchase of Navigon so Garmin Apps for smartphones (with maps loaded - no phone coverage or data charges) not long away now!

I'm not confused, I just think, selling them without lifetime updates seems a bit of scam IMO. As it cheaper to buy a new unit than buy updates. Its not my Garmin. I know nothing about them. I was just asked to update it. But seems odd to me you can buy a device for road navigation and it takes them over a year to update major motorway junctions on it, then they charge you a fortune for updates.

OVI maps does download to the phone and doesn't need an internet connection, where the phone has a full GPS. It doesn't need a phone signal either. You only need a phone signal for A-GPS. Some phones have both, as A-GPS can be quicker. Some only have a A-GPS. Its going to vary depending on the phone you have obviously.

Google maps can be cached, but otherwise does need a data connection. But at least you should be reasonably up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fonzie01

I was in Halfords yesterday, and im pretty sure that one model from Garmin was being sold with lifetime updates free, and im sure it was a 13xx or 14xx. Just a special offer for a limited time i think. I nfortuneately paid for my lifetime updates at a cost of approx 90euro, which may turn out to be good value, depending on how long the unit lasts. I use mine a lot in dublin, its invaluaable to my job, and a lot of estates and roads have appeared in the last 4 updates ive downloaded onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

garydubh wrote: »
    So you have 30 days after first use (this is recorded on the device and GPS gives accurate time/date too) to register the unit and download the latest map update from "myGarmin".

Are you sure about that ?

I thought it was 60 days from first use.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

I have a Garmin satnav with UK & Ireland.
    If I buy the nuMaps, European lifetime updates, will that just update the countries on my satnav or will I be able to add the other European countries as well?

(The product I wish to buy is http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-N%C3%BCmaps-European-Lifetime-Updates/dp/B001PKTDMU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

I have a Garmin satnav with UK & Ireland.
    If I buy the nuMaps, European lifetime updates, will that just update the countries on my satnav or will I be able to add the other European countries as well?

(The product I wish to buy is http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-N%C3%BCmaps-European-Lifetime-Updates/dp/B001PKTDMU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top)

The way it works is that you first load all of Europe onto your computer. However, in many cases, the filesize is too big to go onto your SatNav so you should only transfer the bits you need from your computer to your satnav e.g. UK & Ireland and if you're going on your holliers to France, France.

Also, you may be able to get more space on your SatNav by installing a SD Card where your machine has the facility (AFAIK, most have).

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dubluc

The Garmin nuMaps Lifetime Europe (2012.30) map update is now available from the Garmin website. I don't know yet what's included because I haven't fully downloaded it yet. However given the usual nine month lag for major roads I reckon it's safe to assume that the motorway network will finally be complete on the maps. Let's just say if it's not I'll be a tad disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Dubluc wrote: »
    The Garmin nuMaps Lifetime Europe (2012.30) map update is now available from the Garmin website. I don't know yet what's included because I haven't fully downloaded it yet. However given the usual nine month lag for major roads I reckon it's safe to assume that the motorway network will finally be complete on the maps. Let's just say if it's not I'll be a tad disappointed!

the 2012.30 europe garmin maps apparently has the M7 complete.

i never noticed it missing on 2012.20 as i never drove the entire stretch of the M7

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

pa990 wrote: »
    the 2012.30 europe garmin maps apparently has the M7 complete.

i never noticed it missing on 2012.20 as i never drove the entire stretch of the M7

See my earlier related post here

Advertisement