Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Map update

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

No. M6 from Athlone to Ard Carn roundabout only.
    I also signed up for update notification but didn't receive any.
    Same at time of last update so par for the course!
    HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

burrenyoga wrote: »
    By the way, i signed up on Garmin to receive an email whenever an update becomes available, but did not receive any notification.

Did anyone else receive a notification from Garmin letting them know that an update was available to download?

Thanks,
    Dave
    No, and I signed up for update notifications too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Firmcontrol

peking97 wrote: »
    No. M6 from Athlone to Ard Carn roundabout only.
    I also signed up for update notification but didn't receive any.
    Same at time of last update so par for the course!
    HTH

It is incredible to think that a major route such as the M6 from Ballinasloe to Galway which is open for at least a year has not been included in the update. Definitely not good value for money.

Also ditto re the update emails.

To be fair it's hardly open over a year is it?...Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it opened shortly after the flooding last Jan/Feb?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

3 years ago in Spain all motorways under construction were shown as hidden detail lines, recently completely ones too, Ireland is in the sticks lad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

It is incredible to think that a major route such as the M6 from Ballinasloe to Galway which is open for at least a year has not been included in the update. Definitely not good value for money.

Also ditto re the update emails.
    Ballinasloe to Galway was opened on 18/12/09. Hardly at least a year to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Firmcontrol

Hmmmm! Maybe I exaggerated a bit on the new stretch of M6 but the revised speed limits going from 100Km to 120km on the existing stretches of motorway have not been included on the new update either. I think the speed limits were revised last September.... but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭jamesd

alan4cult wrote: »
    Ballinasloe to Galway was opened on 18/12/09. Hardly at least a year to be fair.

TomTom has the motorway from BSloe to Galway on its latest update.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

jamesd wrote: »
    TomTom has the motorway from BSloe to Galway on its latest update.

How long ago was that?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

L'prof wrote: »
    How long ago was that?

Over 3 months ago. v850 is due shortly.

• Advertisement

koolkid wrote: »
    Over 3 months ago. v850 is due shortly.

Fúck sake, might get one of them eventually so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

L'prof wrote: »
    Fúck sake, might get one of them eventually so!

They'll reel you in with all these promises of new motorways being on the maps, and while it's true, most the backroads are in the wrong places, so it's as useful as a cock flavoured lollipop unless you're on one of these motorways.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The other side of it is including roads too soon. TomToms v845 maps included the new M50/M2 & M50/M3 freeflow interchanges. Both of which have yet to be completed.
    Some back roads are off but in my experience this has drastically improved over the pat 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Are you downloading the 2011.10B file?
    There was an extraction problem with the original file.

I think I have that problem also. I bought a Garmin sat nav 265nuvi a few weeks ago and I didnt get around to updating the mapping on it until today. I registered the product etc and device connects with the PC. When I went onto my account to download the updates. The file that I needed to downloaded extracted but it was followed by an error message saying "Unable to eastablish an internet connection from Garmin Servers, Please check your internet connection and try again" My internet connection works fine but this message keeps appearing. Anyone know what I should do next? My Laptop is Windows XP operated by the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gilligane

Hi. I have a nuvi 215 sat nav, maps for uk and ireland. Never been updated before. Bought 6mths ago. Have spent hours and hours and hours trying to find out how to update to latest version which shop told me today only was 2010.2. can anyone give me the exact link so i can just click on it and relax. Plz help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Have you bought the updates and wish to download them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

Just updated to the 2011.10
    although a big fan of the Garmins this update is useless, If you have 2010.3 it's not worth taking the time to download. No new M9 outside carlow, or waterford bypass, No New M7 (very new in fairness), no new M6

I am sure there are improvements but i couldn't find any.

Just noticed a new Lifetime Update is available this evening.

Does anyone know if it's possible to download the new map file without having the SatNav connected first?...it's just that mine is out on loan and it would be useful if I could D/L the maps in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rcmd3

i all can anyone tell me where i can buy a cable for my garmin 250w or is there anyway i can download it without needing it

thanks

rcmd3 wrote: »
    or is there anyway i can download it without needing it

Not to my knowledge.
    You'll get the cable here
    http://www.mysatnav.ie/ta-garmin-usb-cable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Ah for fecks sake...first time to download an update...took nearly 2 hours...1hr 20 mins for the download on an 8 meg line and after all that the M6 into Galway isn't even on it :mad:

Seven Worlds will Collide

Very disappointed to read that. C'mon Garmin ..smarten up!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,456 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Nothing to do with Garmin .. it's their map supplier Navteq that needs to pull their socks up.

I wouldn't agree that it's *nothing to do with Garmin*. As a major customer of Navteq I think it reasonable to assume they can exert a certain amount of pressure on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 poldaly

i got a gift of a garmin 205w in june and updated it as requested within the 60 days of purchased. HOW new are the maps on this satnav now

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rcmd3

thanks mate

Alun wrote: »
    Nothing to do with Garmin .. it's their map supplier Navteq that needs to pull their socks up.
    I wouldn't agree that it's *nothing to do with Garmin*. As a major customer of Navteq I think it reasonable to assume they can exert a certain amount of pressure on them.

Sure it's the same on google maps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Bards

Finally - the N25 Waterford City Bypass is now on it

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

I cannot believe the speed of getting the latest update (2011.20). It's about 5 or 6 times faster, and I'm not exaggerating. It didn't download the usual 4gigs.
    (As I only have IRL/UK installed it must have downloaded a smaller file)

Decompression is much faster and installation is a bit faster.

However the mapping is still way behind .... the new liffey bridge is not there yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭thegrayson

I wish I had checked this thread before I paid for the lifetime update only to get an update that still doesn't have the M6 on it. I have emailed garmin about this before and they have pointed me to Navteq. It is farcical.

Advertisement