Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Map update

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

so does anyone recommend the lifetime maps. even for Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

thegrayson wrote: »
    update that still doesn't have the M6 on it. I have emailed garmin about this before and they have pointed me to Navteq. It is farcical.

It's odd because on the Navteq map site the M6 is shown fully and has been for a while :confused:

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭eirman

so does anyone recommend the lifetime maps. even for Europe?

Highly recommended and great value compared to the previous annual fee.

So the maps are always about 9 months out of date ... you just have to live with that. Anyhow, when major road construction almost ceases here in Ireland next year, your 2012 updates will be pretty accurate and up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Hi guys. I scanned through the forum and this thread and didn't see any

I got a Nuvi 550 a couple of years ago, never registered it until today :o
    Anyway, am heading off to Canada and the US in a couple of weeks, and went looking to get mapping for North America. It has City Navigator Europe loaded (Aug 2008). Guess I'll be updating that at some point, but for now the priority is to get maps for the upcoming trip.
    On the Garmin site, when I click "Additional Maps for this Product" it gives a list of map products, which includes City Navigator North America NT. However, when I click on Products to see if my GPS is compatible, its not listed.

Anyone know if CN North America is actually compatible with a Nuvi 550 before I waste 50 quid and half a day downloading it???

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Garmin have released new maps version 2011.30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭peking97

For info. There is a new map update available this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

If you go in to My Dashboard, Garmin seem to have cocked it up, looks like you will be updating an old download. If you click on it, the next screen will show the correct info and start downloading 2011.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

peking97 wrote: »
    For info. There is a new map update available this evening.
    ...and they STILL don't have the updated sections of the M7/M8 or M9 on there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

Alun wrote: »
    ...and they STILL don't have the updated sections of the M7/M8 or M9 on there!

Once again I suggest a read of this post

garydubh wrote: »
    Once again I suggest a read of this post
    Yes, I'm well aware of that thank you, and have pointed out the same to many other people on here in the past if you'd care to examine my posting history. Doesn't stop me getting annoyed at the whole thing though.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, I'm well aware of that thank you, and have pointed out the same to many other people on here in the past if you'd care to examine my posting history. Doesn't stop me getting annoyed at the whole thing though.

Things have improved but its not instantaneous - franlky though motorways are not really a big issue - big roads, big publicity, big signs so not a big problem - but its really is about time that Local Authorities/NRA/ Dept Of Communications/Dept Of Transport switched on to the value of SatNavs for commercial and tourist activity - so they should help keep the related mapping up to date by passing on info - which currently they make no effort to do. Even one Local Authority complained that SatNavs were causing people to use the wrong routes but when examined they had made no effort to pass information to the SatNav map makers!

And whilst we worry about keeping roads up to date other countries have realtime traffic and weather routing info!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

franlky though motorways are not really a big issue -
    I disagree. They should be able to get these right first.
    And whilst we worry about keeping roads up to date other countries have realtime traffic and weather routing info!
    We have this now.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056072533

koolkid wrote: »
    I disagree. They should be able to get these right first.

We have this now.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056072533

On the motorways - as I said if LA's/NRA etc contributed things would greatly improve and no reason why they can't except that they have not copped on that SatNavs have significant commercial benefits.

As for Traffic - great that we are getting there but a system covering Dublin only has a long way to go - yet again poor institutional understanding for the benefits!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Maybe so, but its the responsibility of Navteq & TeleAtlas to correct their own maps regardless of any other involvement.
    Live traffic in Dublin is a start, I have no doubt it will extend and improve.

koolkid wrote: »
    Maybe so, but its the responsibility of Navteq & TeleAtlas to correct their own maps regardless of any other involvement.
    Live traffic in Dublin is a start, I have no doubt it will extend and improve.

True..... but there will always be a timelag and whatever can reduce this timelag must be worked on...

True..... but there will always be a timelag and whatever can reduce this timelag must be worked on...
    Absolutely. Even when I've reported map inaccuracies to Navteq in the past it's taken up to 3 release slots, or over 18 months, for them to incorporate them. You can blame the LA's or the NRA or whoever all you like, but if it takes that long to get reported and easily verifiable errors (such as incorrect street names) corrected, then there's something seriously wrong with the whole process from start to finish. Having a map file format that allowed incremental corrections and updates would be a first stage in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Having downloaded this I was disappointed to find sections of the M8 and M9 not included, as said, it seems to still take at least 9 months to get them updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

Hi there,

I tried to update my Garmin 3790T the other night but the update was coming in at 4gb!!!!! As a newbie Sat Nav owner, I've no idea what size an update should be, but surely not 4gb? Maybe I'm wrong!

Advice / guidance very much appreciated!

Rgds

Paul

Threads merged.

Hi there,

I tried to update my Garmin 3790T the other night but the update was coming in at 4gb!!!!! As a newbie Sat Nav owner, I've no idea what size an update should be, but surely not 4gb? Maybe I'm wrong!

Advice / guidance very much appreciated!

Rgds

Paul

Yep that's roughly the size of it ok, took me an hour and a half on an 8 meg line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭eirman

101sean wrote: »
    Having downloaded this I was disappointed to find sections of the M8 and M9 not included, as said, it seems to still take at least 9 months to get them updated.

At least the new Liffey bridge is there .... although it took three updates, after the bridge opened.

`...and the speed limit is wrong on the(newly added a year after it opened) N65 from the M6 to Loughrea bypass (80 - should be 100)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Hmm, I've updated mine twice now, downloaded the entire 2011.30 and used mapinstall to put just UK/IRL on it.

My gps now says (when I look up map info under settings):

2011.30 france, belgie, etc.
    2011.20 UK/IRL

Does the recent update not include new data for UK/IRL?

Maybe I should wipe my GPS as I don't want the european mainland maps for the coming months?

Hi all,

I am new to sat navs and obviously, new to updating them. However I plugged in my new Garmin 3790T the other night to see if there were any updates and sure enough there was. However the file was coming down at 4GB!!!!

Now, while I have the bandwith to spare, I just wanted to check is this correct? Am I downloading the complete map file again as the update?

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds

Paul

Patrickof wrote: »
    Hmm, I've updated mine twice now, downloaded the entire 2011.30 and used mapinstall to put just UK/IRL on it.

My gps now says (when I look up map info under settings):

2011.30 france, belgie, etc.
    2011.20 UK/IRL

Does the recent update not include new data for UK/IRL?

Maybe I should wipe my GPS as I don't want the european mainland maps for the coming months?

Yes all Europe included but depending on your device it way be an older one which does not have enough memory!

During download there are options to load mapping to your pc and then load what yopu want to your device - check prompts as you go.

Hi all,

I am new to sat navs and obviously, new to updating them. However I plugged in my new Garmin 3790T the other night to see if there were any updates and sure enough there was. However the file was coming down at 4GB!!!!

Now, while I have the bandwith to spare, I just wanted to check is this correct? Am I downloading the complete map file again as the update?

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds

Paul

You are being delivered the full mapping for all Europe - not just updates....

Watch the prompts as you download you can load to your PC and also have the mapping there -
    contact info@gpsireland.ie - they will send you a quick reference for the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Yes all Europe included but depending on your device it way be an older one which does not have enough memory!

During download there are options to load mapping to your pc and then load what yopu want to your device - check prompts as you go.

It has enough memory, can hold UK/IRL and the Western Europe maps with no problems. Plenty of free space on it with the current map load.

I might wipe the maps and reload.

Patrickof wrote: »
    It has enough memory, can hold UK/IRL and the Western Europe maps with no problems. Plenty of free space on it with the current map load.

I might wipe the maps and reload.

Western Europe is deifferent o all Europe whc ih includes new East Europe countries.

Do not wipe - do download again and watch very carefully for option to load to your PC - you can tehn take what countries you need and load to your device from your PC.

instructions for update available from info@gpsireland.ie

Hi all,

I've just updated the UK & Ireland maps only on my Garmin 3790T but now I seem to have lost the 3D land marks from the map such as Croke Park and London's 'Urn'.

When I go into 'MyMaps', I now only have 2 options where I had 3 before the update.

Have I done something wrong?

Any help much apprectiated.

Rgds

Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Only a couple of MB's in the difference of 2011.30 and 2011.20 for UK & Ireland!

Advertisement