Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Map update

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Only a couple of MB's in the difference of 2011.30 and 2011.20 for UK & Ireland!

Anybody else updated and lost all their 3D landmarks??

Any idea why?

Rgds

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Anybody else updated and lost all their 3D landmarks??

Any idea why?

Rgds

Paul

The same thing happened last year with the European 2010.30 update, it was because the files were named wrong when copied to the Garmin unit. This resulted in a new map called EU 2010.30b being released which corrected the problem. However a re-install seemed to the correct the issue for some people so maybe you should give that a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

NUTZZ wrote: »
    The same thing happened last year with the European 2010.30 update, it was because the files were named wrong when copied to the Garmin unit. This resulted in a new map called EU 2010.30b being released which corrected the problem. However a re-install seemed to the correct the issue for some people so maybe you should give that a try?

Yeah I read that alright. Did the second update as per another users response from another website but unfortunately that didnt make any different.

A bit stupid that they have made this mistake twice.

Before I updated I had 3 options in the 'mymaps' section of the device, however now I only have 2, is that anything to do with it?

Rgds

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I have a Garmin 250W and the maps are from 2008.

Is it worth updating to 2010 or will the 2011 ones being coming out soon ?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

chughes wrote: »
    I have a Garmin 250W and the maps are from 2008.

Is it worth updating to 2010 or will the 2011 ones being coming out soon ?

Thanks

Your unit is a long time discontinued - if you put a lifetime update with it and something happens it, it cannot be replaced and the map update will be lost with it and cannot be transferred to another unit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Would the lifetime update work with a 08 nuvi 710?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 topcat199

can anyone tell me where i can update my maps for garmin 200w for free if possible
    thanks
    :confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You can't update with Garmin maps for free.They have to be bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

KoolKid wrote: »
    You can't update with Garmin maps for free.They have to be bought.

After the initial free update, yes.

I don't understand the lifetime update option, as it applies to one unit only too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

gbee wrote: »
    I don't understand the lifetime update option, as it applies to one unit only too.

It's the lifetime of the unit, not your lifetime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

testicle wrote: »
    It's the lifetime of the unit, not your lifetime.

It's a bit ridiculous then as the update can actually cost more than a new system :rolleyes:

gps maps and updates offer terrible support. you would expect that when you buy a unit that you should get updates for maps reflecting what the routes are at the point of purchase. I buy my digital media normally but make alternative arrangements in the case of gps maps.

bladespin wrote: »
    It's a bit ridiculous then as the update can actually cost more than a new system :rolleyes:

Yes it is. Ran into similar after I updated a to 2011.10 and then bought a new unit with a 2010 map on it and I could not update it.

I eventually got the 2011.32 for my new unit from Garmin, it would not initially update because my unit had been display modal and had activated but this is sorted now.

I'll probably only keep my unit a couple of years, three maybe and I'll want something better ~ seems like a waste updating the map at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Is there anywhere we can see what add on's each new version provides, there used to be some years ago, I honestly think the last two updates provided little or nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

bogman wrote: »
    Is there anywhere we can see what add on's each new version provides, there used to be some years ago, I honestly think the last two updates provided little or nothing

Yeah, that would be handy. Dublin to Cork roads still haven't been updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Why do they take so long to put the motorways on these drove to Navan today using the motorway but still not on last update same going to Limerick no motorway from portlaoise to Limerick or Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

bogman wrote: »

http://www8.garmin.com/cgi-bin/mapgen/webmap.cgi?p=149487617&u=1&v=0&cp=76FD3E625E625D2F&z=2&x=240&y=180&w=480&h=360&d=0&rz=0&k=1&sc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

it is fair annoying having spent €90 on the lifetime maps to discover that the M9 is still not on it, yet the N25 bypass is

skodacb wrote: »
    it is fair annoying having spent €90 on the lifetime maps to discover that the M9 is still not on it, yet the N25 bypass is

And you know this 'lifetime' is not for the maps, it's for the unit, if you buy a new unit tomorrow the lifetime stays with the old unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Must be due the next update soon.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

And you know this 'lifetime' is not for the maps, it's for the unit, if you buy a new unit tomorrow the lifetime stays with the old unit.

Really disappointed with that too, anyone know of alternatives that offer a deacent customer service like free updates or a proper user license - one off purchase for the user, not the unit? How does Tom tom rate? I've heard good things about Ovi maps on Nokia phones and wondered it they'd suit.

Won't ever waste my money on Garmin again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

testicle wrote: »

Thanks but what im looking for is a comparison between this and older version, like a revision list, think there has been so little added to the maps in the last two updates it was hardly worth upgrading, speed limits approaching many towns, villages and sections of the M7 are inaccurate, ex, leaving Cork after the Jack Lynch tunnel heading north, gps says 120km/h for many kilometers when it should read 100km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Version 2011.40 now available.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,456 ✭✭✭✭Alun

peking97 wrote: »
    Version 2011.40 now available.
    Garmin website appears to be overwhelmed, can't get any response from the map update checking part of mygarmin.com at the moment. I'll give it another try later on.

Have you managed to get it yet? If so, what are the highlights (if any) for Ireland?

EDIT: Working at last ...

Alun wrote: »
    Garmin website appears to be overwhelmed, can't get any response from the map update checking part of mygarmin.com at the moment. I'll give it another try later on.

Have you managed to get it yet? If so, what are the highlights (if any) for Ireland?

EDIT: Working at last ...

Downloading all of Europe as we speak, mite as well get my moneys worth for it, hopefully the M9 will be on it at last fingers crossed, instead of the usual rubbish in 500yrds turn right(yea turn right into a field:mad:) also the Garmin map updater is now version 2.5.17

skodacb wrote: »
    (yea turn right into a field:mad:)

Two things, you know your Sat Nav will bring you to old tracks which may get covered over and no longer exist especially if shortest route or a bike route is selected as navigation.

Have you have a chance to see any updates yet?

Thanks.

Two things, you know your Sat Nav will bring you to old tracks which may get covered over and no longer exist especially if shortest route or a bike route is selected as navigation.

Have you have a chance to see any updates yet?

Thanks.
    NOOOOOOOO at last the M9 is on it well up to the insersection wit the N10 near danesfort from Waterford, :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

M7 is missing fom Borris to Nenagh and Birdhill to Finnegans. Also no Shannon Tunnel or new sections of M18

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Hi I just got my first gps and I was wondering if somebody could help. I have free map updates until April however when I go to my Garmin the only download option I have is for NT 2011.30 which is what I have on my gps. How do I update the maps to 2011.40?

thanks flyingsnail

• Advertisement

Hi I just got my first gps and I was wondering if somebody could help.

What are you going through? My Garmin or the WebUpdater? Try both.

Are you offered an update? Or just update available?

You can contact Garmin who can unlock the update for you, you might not have registered or some other little thing along the way.

Advertisement