Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very very basic CMS.

• 13-04-2009 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Hey hey,

I have a few sites which have just a few paragraphs which I would like the clients to have access to edit.

Is there a very simple CMS script I could use so they could log in and be given a list of a few files (eg "About Us").... then they could choose one to edit, then save.

It would need a basic WYSIWYG editing panel, just something that would allow them to maybe bold a word and when they enter new lines they wouldn't need to type <br>. I wouldn't want them to change fonts etc.

If this wysiwyg saved the paragraphs with the correct tags (<br><b><i> etc) in a database I could insert them in the site where necessary..

If anyone is using something similar let me know! I have used a few very complex ones but I think this is just overkill for most small sites. Keep it simple! ;-)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Maybe cushy cms? Although I think what you are describing would be easy to create with some simple pogramming involving inludes, where the include would bring in the text from a file and place it on the website in a predefined part of the site. All you need to do is give them access to those include files where they can edit the wording and save the file without having access to change any other parts of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭STBR

Well I just went 16 and I'm currently learning PHP.

So if you're considering making your own one it's definitely the way to go.

I'm currently halfway through building my own. And it's a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Also the benefit of this is that it doesn't limit you the same as if you were using something like WordPress, Joomla, etc. Especially from a design perspective.

If I ever visit a website and I can see that it's clearly just a WordPress site I instantly lose respect for their coding knowledge, and often just leave the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

How about using CMSMS (CMS Made Simple) Linky

You simply build the website template in whatever application you like using CSS and HTML, Once it is then built you can port it to the CMS engine and replace the content parts with Tags that define where your content menus etc will go.

It would also be worth having a look @ Opensource CMS repository to get an idea of teh different types of CMS available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

cushy cms sounds perfect for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

eoin wrote: »

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

I've looked at CMSMS before but it is still too much for my liking.

Cushy CMS looks great, never heard of it! :cool:
    It's pretty much what I want, but was hoping for something I could host myself. Would you trust the site with your FTP login details?

As for making it myself...I know how to use PHP to pull the info over and back from a database ok but what about the basic wysiwyg editor? Like if they're just editing an article and they're entering new paragraphs, I don't want them to have to insert the basic code to enter line breaks etc....

In that case, then there are a good few free examples that will sort you out.

TinyMCE is one. I use FCKEditor, which isn't as light weight but has lots of features.

Does anyone know an alternative to CushyCMS which I could host myself?

I've spent the afternoon googling and CushyCMS seems to be perfect for what I need, but I'm not giving them FTP login details. If I had an opensource alternative that did the same I could redesign the login screens too.

I love the simple method CushyCMS uses, adding the class for the editable region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Gu3rr1lla

I've tried, no joy.

I suppose it's more of a content editing system I'm looking for. I don't want it to be something for creating a site, creating pages or editing templates. Simply just something that does exactly what CushyCMS does, but that I can download and use myself. I'd have a go writing it but find it hard to believe something doesn't exist. Seem to be loads of people looking for the same so potential money-maker for someone I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Although not strictly a CMS, either wordpress or Movable Type might do the job if its small... They are both excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

eoin wrote: »

what he said

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

what he said

You mean ..what he said
    Axwell wrote: »
    Maybe cushy cms?
    :D

gary82 wrote:
    CushyCMS seems to be perfect for what I need, but I'm not giving them FTP login details. If I had an opensource alternative that did the same I could redesign the login screens too.

what I said :rolleyes:

gary82 wrote: »
    what I said :rolleyes:

Easy on the rolleyes there champ, you'll strain your eyes.
    gary82 wrote:
    As for making it myself...I know how to use PHP to pull the info over and back from a database ok but what about the basic wysiwyg editor? Like if they're just editing an article and they're entering new paragraphs, I don't want them to have to insert the basic code to enter line breaks etc....
    eoin wrote:
    TinyMCE is one. I use FCKEditor, which isn't as light weight but has lots of features.

So combine what I said with what you said, and you're sorted ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭bp1989

cutenews? another extremely simple and basic cms, which you can just "drop" into your current design within a <div>.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

Make a simple form that writes an include file to the server or writes text to a database. Password protect the form and let your customer access it. No codes or HTML, so little possibility they will screw it up.

Advertisement