Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bed Time

Options
  • 13-04-2009 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Ok..not ideal..but my 2 year old son has a small LCD TV in his room with Sky.
    His bed time is 8pm each night with lights out at 8.30
    but since we moved him into his room with the TV we seem to have found a great bedtime routine with the aid of Nick Jr.
    Basically he heads up at 7.30..watches Maggie and the Ferocious Beast..then the Jimmer Jammers song comes on...this is the Q to get his Jim Jams on..then he knows once Peppa comes on its into bed...then when Peppas over its lights out.

Its great...never tantrum...never any problem. Its shown me the value of routine to young children.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Would it not be better for him if you built a routine around a bedtime story instead of tv? I thought tv was a no no because it is too stimulating before bed. And of course reading a book is a great way of introducing a love of books early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Wantobe wrote: »
    Would it not be better for him if you built a routine around a bedtime story instead of tv? I thought tv was a no no because it is too stimulating before bed. And of course reading a book is a great way of introducing a love of books early on.

I agree with this, only thing is my son 2 and a half keeps trying to pull the book off me, so now I make up the stories myself. They can be about anything he doesnt mind just as long as we have that quiet time in the day with distractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I had to be in bed by 7 up until Senior Infants!

It does seem to be working though, so keep going with it if you're happy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

I personnally dont agree with having a tv in a kids room but if its working for ya then dont worry about it, maybe when hes a bit bigger you could cut down on the tv time and replace it with story book time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Clytus wrote: »
    Ok..not ideal..but my 2 year old son has a small LCD TV in his room with Sky.
    His bed time is 8pm each night with lights out at 8.30
    but since we moved him into his room with the TV we seem to have found a great bedtime routine with the aid of Nick Jr.
    Basically he heads up at 7.30..watches Maggie and the Ferocious Beast..then the Jimmer Jammers song comes on...this is the Q to get his Jim Jams on..then he knows once Peppa comes on its into bed...then when Peppas over its lights out.

Its great...never tantrum...never any problem. Its shown me the value of routine to young children.

Would never entertain the idea of having a TV in my son's room! Fine for you now but may change in years to come!

Like others have said a story would be better as it would calm them down and give you a chance to spend some time with your son. Routine in my house is up to bed at 7:30, a story and lights out 15 - 20 minutes later. Usually asleep within a few minutes. And that's for a 5 year old and 3 year old in the same room!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

We used to watch little bear and then the bed time business song and then go get into pj
    and off to bed and a story and sleep time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

We used to do similar but I wouldn't have the telly in the bedroom. That last half hour of cartoons got them wound down a bit and allowed me do some clearing up that wouldn't get messed up again. Then at 8 after the bedtime song it was straight upstairs for pjs, wash etc and stories in bed. They've little interest in the cartoons now but are still up the stairs at 8 so the routine stuck.

Advertisement