Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who are the big businessmen in galway

Options
  • 13-04-2009 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hell all. Does anyone know the big players in galway at the moment. I know Gerry barratt is a big business man and i know what he owns. not sure how much he is worth or how he started out.

Does anyone know the big guys and how they started out in galway? Just wondering how they became so rich.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 rusty nail

Marty Drennan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Seamus

Nora

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 rusty nail

Would The Castle Phantom Public Masturbater be considered a Big Player?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Buzz Buzz

Bunker Lydon, Bomber Fahy...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Denis Furey

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

evoke wrote: »
    Hell all. Does anyone know the big players in galway at the moment. I know Gerry barratt is a big business man and i know what he owns. not sure how much he is worth or how he started out.

Does anyone know the big guys and how they started out in galway? Just wondering how they became so rich.

Or are you planning a robbery and looking for targets? :)

There was a very good interview with Gerry Barret a few months ago in some paper where he talked about how he got started and what motivated him in the past. No point in me trying to tell the whole story because I'd only get some part wrong.I remember he started out as a teacher and I think his first business was a Benneton shop in Galway that he ran with his wife in the mid '80s. He talked a bit about how his dad was instrumental in him making his first big leap into property tycoon-dom!It was a bit of a rags to riches story if I recall.

Does anyone remember what paper it was in?I'd like to read it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Does anyone remember what paper it was in?I'd like to read it again.
    http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2004/11/21/story653653559.asp
    also see
    http://www.edwardholdings.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Thanks soundbyte. That wasn't the interview though. It was more personal than that.Searched online but I can't seem to find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Fat Tony and big Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Anti-Santa

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

Thanks for the reply chilly and soundbyte. I was just wondering who the people were. Was not going to rob them or any thing. Just interedted in galway business.

I did not know Gerry Barrett owns so much valuable property.

Would he be the richest person in galway?

Is there any other big tycoons in galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Google reveals:
    Sun 27th April 2008
    County Galway's rich list has a new number One.
    66-year old engineer Michael Cotter has stormed to the top of the list of the wealthiest people in Galway.
    Today's Sunday Times Rich List 2008 has named him as Galway's richest person thanks to his Park Developments empire in Dublin.

Link1
    Link2

Not particularly from the city and not in property:
    Michael Burke - founder of Chanelle Veterinary out in Loughrea.

Declan Ganley who made it big in .... it isn't very clear

The guy who founded Connaught Electronics Ltd in Tuam

John Flaherty - founder of the C&F Group - 2008 Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year

Pat McDonagh of Supermacs

Maspac is a Galway company as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Padraig O'Ceidigh Aer Arann

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I always find the "Rich List" type things hilarious when it comes to Galway because it's funnier when you consider those that have been left out rather than those that have been included. I think it's a real old Galway thing not to draw too much attention to wealth. Those that are highlighted tend to be the relatively new breed who court publicity (notable exception Thomas McDonogh). But there are a lot of older established businesses in Galway which could buy and sell a few of those mentioned. Consider a lot of the larger houses on Taylor's Hill, Kingston and Bushypark. Very few (or any?) of their occupants feature on the Rich Lists, but many would likely have net worths that would at least get them somewhere on those lists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

does that cotter guy live in galway? thought he was based in dublin.

dominic lydon

the families of old salthill: stewarts; thomas mcdonagh; o'malleys; molloys; mulhollands; younger generation would include hartmanns

the ryans (college road)

also, lets not forget the more prominent business women in Galway, including the aforementioned Mrs Ryan, Mary Bennett, Hazel Hendy, Anne O'Coine....

not sure if being rich is the overriding factor for the OP, as this would preclude some, but there's a lot to be said for influence.

There's also alot of remnants of the old merchant princes hanging about still, naughtons, corbetts the above mentioned mcdonaghs etc but dont know if they have any clout still. they have things like the race committee sown up but thats about it,
    check race committee membership for the galway establishment such as it was in the 50s-80s, not sure if its changed too much since that time....done after edit:

Dr. Thomas McDonogh, The Lord Hemphill, Mr. John Coyle - Chairman, Mr. Raymond Rooney , Mr. Tim Naughton
    Mr. Anthony Ryan, Mr. Terry Cunningham, Mr. Colm Gavin, Dr. Colm O'Flaherty, Mr. Peter Allen, Mr. Paddy Ryan, Mr. John Moloney.

the old snobberies remain though vis-a-vis living in taylors hill and rockbarton...seldom heard a good word said about some of these families some of whom dominated the city for generations in the first part of the 20th century and intermarried....no offence intended!

the old snobberies remain though vis-a-vis living in taylors hill and rockbarton...seldom heard a good word said about some of these families some of whom dominated the city for generations in the first part of the 20th century and intermarried....no offence intended!

:D Never a truer word spoken. I still hear some "old timers" giving out about things some of these are supposed to have done pre WW2!

Race Committee is well spotted, but dunno if some of its members are around that long? Those that survived the 80s still hold quite a bit of property, even if their businesses don't continue to trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

Do you have to be rich to be on the Race Committee?

• Advertisement

nah, not really into who's rich and who's not, who's wealthy and who's not, my point was to be a prominent business person in this town you dont necessarily have to be materially successful.

you just have to have some influence or come from a select group of families that have been at the forefront of business and politics and the law in this town for several generations.

re: the race committee, very select club, relatively unchanged for decades, passed from father to son or from friend to friend for that time. i'd be very surprised if they were to open that membership to a wider range of people in the town or indeed to some of the more prominent business people that have emerged in recent years. there are layers within layers even there....

it's like the stonecutters....

that's what i'm trying to say and something i think churchview might have alluded to in his/her rich list post. there's an old galway establishment of merchant princes who cling to their names and grandparents reputations and then there are the newcomers, never the twain shall meet or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

All my ancestors are known for is bayting the sh1te out of people and causing havock in the olden days (1200's), a ferocious bunch they were (there's a clue to the name)

Proud as heck I am :pac: - No we're not knackers :pac:

ah so....

"From the fury of the O'Flaherties, Good Lord deliver us"!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

my point was to be a prominent business person in this town you dont necessarily have to be materially successful.

To be a "prominent" business person in recent years you just needed to HP a few range rovers and sponsor a cycle team or something and then skip the country when the bank came looking for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

cL0h wrote: »
    To be a "prominent" business person in recent years you just needed to HP a few range rovers and sponsor a cycle team or something and then skip the country when the bank came looking for you.

Stupid comment in this current climate.

kinetic wrote: »
    Stupid comment in this current climate.

...particularly having regard to recent tragedies in Ireland and in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

WTF?

Sorry but the previous two comments beggar belief. What on earth are either of you on about?
    Am I going to cause a recession or mass suicide with my incendiary remarks.

Maybe it's ignorance on your part, but one of the recent suicide victims was associated in business dealings with some of the people already mentioned on this thread. So could you just drop it and your trite Range Rover HP comments, (and your WTF comments.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

ive resisted posting on this for many days but i think like alot of threads its lost its way. im surprised it hasnt been locked before this.
    What worse a topic could there be that to be gabbering on hypothetical notions about who might be the richest in Galway or anywhere else. Doesnt it just lead to negativities and smark remarks.
    Lock the thread

• Advertisement

ive resisted posting on this for many days but i think like alot of threads its lost its way. im surprised it hasnt been locked before this.
    What worse a topic could there be that to be gabbering on hypothetical notions about who might be the richest in Galway or anywhere else. Doesnt it just lead to negativities and smark remarks.
    Lock the thread

At first it was entertaining, but now you're right. Lock this please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement