Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shep Smith: A Liberal on Fox News?!?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Alan Colmes is also a liberal. He does the show with Hannity btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    they've actually split up now and Hannitys new solo show has become a real anti-Obama palooza, lol.

besides Shep, provided he counts, the only real prime time liberal pundit left on Fox now is arguably Geraldo Rivera. Although that's only going by his more liberal stance on Immigration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

norbert64 wrote: »
    they've actually split up now and Hannitys new solo show has become a real anti-Obama palooza, lol.

besides Shep, provided he counts, the only real prime time liberal pundit left on Fox now is arguably Geraldo Rivera. Although that's only going by his more liberal stance on Immigration.

I think Hannity and Colmes still work together form time to time though. Colmes is actually decent. He's a liberal that's not completely out of touch with reality.

Geraldo is a Moderate Liberal like Colmes. I don't like Geraldo's stance on the amnesty as well. Its blatant pandering to the Latino base.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

norbert64 wrote: »

Saw that. It put a big smile on my face. You tell em Shep!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

I came on here about to start a thread on this! Fox etc do my nut but Shepard Smith actually seems like an occasional voice of sanity!

Also good is Megyn Kelly's rant against Bill O'Reilly - I think Bill hurts her intelligence so much she actually feels compelled to have a go at him!

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

TheVan wrote: »
    I came on here about to start a thread on this! Fox etc do my nut but Shepard Smith actually seems like an occasional voice of sanity!

Also good is Megyn Kelly's rant against Bill O'Reilly - I think Bill hurts her intelligence so much she actually feels compelled to have a go at him!

Link

megyn kelly is one hot piece of ass but shes ever so slightly to the left of genghis khan

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It goes something like this, to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Overheal wrote: »
    It goes something like this, to be honest...

Rarely is Family Guy funny, but that was pretty good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Shepard Smith is moderate, NOT LIBERAL, and the only so-called "balanced" voice on Fox. See below Smith quote regarding torture that the Republican faithful fail to acknowledge existed at Gitmo (or the secret rendition "kidnapping" camps) under the Bush-Cheney Republican Administration:

"We are America. We don't torture, and the moment that that's not the case, I want off the train. This government is of, by and for the people. That means it's mine. That means- I'm not saying what is torture and what's not torture, but I'm saying whatever it is, you don't do it for me. I want off the train when the government starts. I want off. Next stop, now."

He's moderate, not liberal, given that he leaves the door subtly open with his rhetoric for some of the Fox Republican faithful to reinterpret his meaning and deny (in their own minds) that the USA would ever torture or violate the Geneva Convention the USA signed (along with a host of other international agreements against torture). Not sure how the Bush-Cheney Republican faithful define what the CIA and military were doing to Gitmo prisoners when waterboarding them? (A new recreation programme to entertain the guests while they vacationed in Cuba?)

The real craic about the Republican right-wing redefinition of waterboarding as not torture (but more intensive interrogation techniques), is that they would never think of trying to pull that nonsense definition in a US court of law should a police officer waterboard a US American citizen criminal suspect while interrogating them for a robbery charge, for example?
    Alan Colmes was not a liberal, but cast as Hannity's straight man, who whimpered more than seriously contested anything Hannity would say. It was all an act! This was reassuring to the Republican faithful, given that Colmes was made out to be a liberal wuss alongside the strong, self-assured Hannity, as he uttered Republican right-wing repetitious affirmations.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Shepard Smith is moderate, NOT LIBERAL, and the only so-called "balanced" voice on Fox. See below Smith quote regarding torture that the Republican faithful fail to acknowledge existed at Gitmo (or the secret rendition "kidnapping" camps) under the Bush-Cheney Republican Administration:

"We are America. We don't torture, and the moment that that's not the case, I want off the train. This government is of, by and for the people. That means it's mine. That means- I'm not saying what is torture and what's not torture, but I'm saying whatever it is, you don't do it for me. I want off the train when the government starts. I want off. Next stop, now."

He's moderate, not liberal, given that he leaves the door subtly open with his rhetoric for some of the Fox Republican faithful to reinterpret his meaning and deny (in their own minds) that the USA would ever torture or violate the Geneva Convention the USA signed (along with a host of other international agreements against torture). Not sure how the Bush-Cheney Republican faithful define what the CIA and military were doing to Gitmo prisoners when waterboarding them? (A new recreation programme to entertain the guests while they vacationed in Cuba?)

The real craic about the Republican right-wing redefinition of waterboarding as not torture (but more intensive interrogation techniques), is that they would never think of trying to pull that nonsense definition in a US court of law should a police officer waterboard a US American citizen criminal suspect while interrogating them for a robbery charge, for example?

Alan Colmes was not a liberal, but cast as Hannity's straight man, who whimpered more than seriously contested anything Hannity would say. It was all an act! This was reassuring to the Republican faithful, given that Colmes was made out to be a liberal wuss alongside the strong, self-assured Hannity, as he uttered Republican right-wing repetitious affirmations.:rolleyes:

forgive my poor analogy but i always thought of COLMES as the other guy who always looses to HULK HOGAN , you know the outcome before either get in the ring and both are phoney stage shows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Shep is at it once again. This time, suggesting that the recent shootings in the US sadly vindicate the DHS report that the right had a caniption fit over.

http://intoxination.net/jamie/shep-smith-calls-dhs-report-%E2%80%9Cwarning%E2%80%9D

Meh,..no..even the "liberals" on fox still adhere to the agenda..They're there to legitimise the likes of hannity..They pronounce the partisan divide..They come out a lot of reasonable statements, but never too far from the fox line..i nearly find myself agreeing with o reilly from time to time even, and then i see the angle hes taking on whatever issue..I watch way more fox news than is probably healthy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

You are probably right about Colmes. But Shephard is no moderate. He is a right wing conservative. Simply stating the obvious when it comes to torture, and criticising politicians, including a Republican president, do not mean you suddenly turn moderate. That sort of statement has a very liberal bias to it. ;) Not ALL conservative talk show hosts need to be fascists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

i would say smith is a moderate, but when you compare him to someone like hannity it makes him LOOK like a liberal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Meh, Colmes is a moderate more than anything else. Also is clearly the junior partner in the show.

Al Franken counted how many times Colmes spoke in the show , he got in roughly 1100 words to Hannity's 2500 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

At best Shepherd Smith is a conservative in the old Reagan Republican mould. In fairness they are not the worst.

More fun times with Shep, this time letting the Fox cat out of the bag?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/27/shep-smith-apologizes-for_n_336231.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Shep Smith seems like a decent guy for the most part. There have been times when he's come out against the ideologies spread by Fox News and the conservative agenda. There is no media outlet I respect less than Fox News, but I do respect that guy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement