Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.NET 2008 / ASP.NET 3.5 - Help With Hardware Requirements

Options
  • 13-04-2009 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting into ASP web development using .NET 2008 and I'm trying to spec up a development PC and a test server.

So far, using hardware I have available, I've come up with:

SERVER:
    Intel 2.8Ghz P4 CPU
    2GB PC3200 DDR RAM
    250GB IDE HDD
    Windows Server 2008

DEVELOPMENT PC:
    Intel 3.2 Ghz P4 CPU
    4GB PC3200 DDR RAM
    1TB SATA HDD
    Windows Vista Ultimate / Windows 7 BETA

Would the above be sufficent to run this software and any additional applications (IIS, SQL etc).

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting into ASP web development using .NET 2008 and I'm trying to spec up a development PC and a test server.

So far, using hardware I have available, I've come up with:

SERVER:
    Intel 2.8Ghz P4 CPU
    2GB PC3200 DDR RAM
    250GB IDE HDD
    Windows Server 2008

DEVELOPMENT PC:
    Intel 3.2 Ghz P4 CPU
    4GB PC3200 DDR RAM
    1TB SATA HDD
    Windows Vista Ultimate / Windows 7 BETA

Would the above be sufficent to run this software and any additional applications (IIS, SQL etc).

Cheers!

I work full time in ASP .NET/SQL Development. My development laptop has 1.5 gigs and a dual core CPU. It certainly isn't as quick as I'd like it to be. So using that as a yard stick, I'd say your Development PC should be OK but I'd try to stick a faster CPU, dual or quad core as this would prove useful for compiling etc. I'd put in a lot more memory (4gig at least, 8 preferred) in the Server if you plan to run SQL on it with data intensive processing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Can I just point out, once again and I know that I'm starting to sound like a skipping cd, but ASP and ASP.NET are very different technologies. If you're only starting out then its better the get the distinction between the two now. If you're asking for help online, and applying for jobs further down the line, not knowing the difference is going to seriously handicap you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

if you are just getting started you could host SQL on the your development machine. Should be no problems as long as you are not performing a lot of data intensive work

Advertisement