Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia E51 - Generic Firmware Update

• 13-04-2009 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,871 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Can anyone recommend a place in the Meath/Cavan area (ideally, but Dublin will do if I have to) where I could get a Nokia E51 upgraded to the latest firmware?

Reason being that there's apparently an issue between the Vodafone firmware on the phone, and Parrot Bluetooth kit I have and this was the recommended fix.

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Any Nokia repair point will do it for free.

I have yet to upgrade the firmware after the bad experience upgrading the E71 firmware!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You can do it yourself using Nokia PC suite & Nokia software updater.
    Both bits of software are on Nokias website.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

koolkid wrote: »
    You can do it yourself using Nokia PC suite & Nokia software updater.
    Both bits of software are on Nokias website.

Yup, forgot about that. Backup all data to memory card though and use the Nokia backup tool - sometimes the tool fails to restore data after the backup.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Important to only restore phone book , messages etc.
    A full restore overwrites the software I think.

The restore backs up messages, contacts, data, settings and other stuff. Not the software itself. So restoring will not (to the best of my knowledge) effect it. Unless its restoring to a different model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

No this isnt the case. Then the firmware updater would be pointless.

Op you can backup all the options it will give you. You do not need to back up the memory card it wont be effected. Install the new firmware. Then restore the content back to the phone. Its a easy process. Takes about 20 minutes to do so.

Before you do this check HERE with your phone product code. It will tell you if you can update the firmware or not. You can find your product code under the battery printed on the white label. Should be a 7 digit number.

If it doesn't offer you new firmware, their is an option (NSS) to change your product code to get new firmware but it voids your warranty.
    Also Nokia device firmware cannot be downgraded. Once you have upgraded your device, you will not be able to restore to the earlier version.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

This question was posted before and it is true the E51 has a bluetooth issue with car kits headsets.

Have a read of this previous post before you do anything.

Very helpful guide.

Link

I will also add my experience to this.

With my E51 on Mereor I followed the guide and found no problems rewriting the product code and updating to the latest firmware

With my girlfriends E51 on Vodafone I had trouble restoring the backup to the phone, and when it finally worked, the home screen was not visiable. So either the backup is corrupt or there is some compatiability issue with with the Vodafone bcakup and the new generic firmware.

Good luck with it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Dammer wrote: »
    This question was posted before and it is true the E51 has a bluetooth issue with car kits headsets.

Have a read of this previous post before you do anything.

Very helpful guide.

Link

This is what i mentioned in my post, but remember it will void your warranty. People forget to mention that

The Nokia Backup/Restore is known to be dodgy at times - NEVER rely on it. Always backup what you can to memory card. Its failed me before and I had to recover the data manually (a pain). Iv been advised in the past by Nokia to not rely on it anyway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

...there's apparently an issue between the Vodafone firmware on the phone, and Parrot Bluetooth kit I have and this was the recommended fix.

Cheers!

Problem with the E51 & Parrot bluetooth kits can sometimes be solved by:

turning off warning tones & keypad tones on the phone
    turning off the automatic keyguard in security settings on the phone

If you need to keep these settings turned on normally for whatever reason, set up one of the profiles on the phone for use with these settings and have the phone automatically change to that profile when the phone pairs with the kit. =]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Damien360

Problem with the E51 & Parrot bluetooth kits can sometimes be solved by:

turning off warning tones & keypad tones on the phone
    turning off the automatic keyguard in security settings on the phone

If you need to keep these settings turned on normally for whatever reason, set up one of the profiles on the phone for use with these settings and have the phone automatically change to that profile when the phone pairs with the kit. =]

I have a parrot kit and E51. It used to disconnect during calls at least once a day and I am a heavy user for buisness. I found the problem to be caused by call waiting. The phone would appear connected when the problem occured and you can hear the other person but they cannot hear you. The parrot kit then locks up. The only way to get it back is to re-boot the phone.

There is a latest update for the parrot kit for stability of E51 to parrot. I have'nt tried this yet. I am on verison D firmware of parrot CK3100. I found the simpler solution for now is to turn off call waiting on the phone. Parrot kit is easy to update by bluetooth to laptop and instructions are on parrot website.

Edit: I also turn off vibration on the phone. Had to do the same with 6300 as it used to disconnect from kit when this occured. I have phones in space below ashtray on mondeo and it is a solid piece of plastic. Think this vibration did not agree with phone. Definitely a fix for 6300.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Damien360 wrote: »
    I have a parrot kit and E51. It used to disconnect during calls at least once a day and I am a heavy user for buisness. I found the problem to be caused by call waiting. The phone would appear connected when the problem occured and you can hear the other person but they cannot hear you. The parrot kit then locks up. The only way to get it back is to re-boot the phone.

There is a latest update for the parrot kit for stability of E51 to parrot. I have'nt tried this yet. I am on verison D firmware of parrot CK3100. I found the simpler solution for now is to turn off call waiting on the phone. Parrot kit is easy to update by bluetooth to laptop and instructions are on parrot website.

Edit: I also turn off vibration on the phone. Had to do the same with 6300 as it used to disconnect from kit when this occured. I have phones in space below ashtray on mondeo and it is a solid piece of plastic. Think this vibration did not agree with phone. Definitely a fix for 6300.

Did you try what I said above? Never fails to work for me =]

Advertisement