Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying Silage

• 13-04-2009 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Will just preface this again by declaring myself a novice.

I have only 6 bales of haylage left and certain fields too wet to be grazed. I will probably have to bring cattle back inside once they are finished in the current paddock.

1. What kind of questions ought one ask when buying silage/haylage ?

2. Whats the going rate now?

3. How is the DMD calculated? I suppose there's no point asking people what the DMD of their silage is?

4. What other feed options should I consider? What are the pros and cons of things like maize silage and beet fodder, citrus etc.

5. How can I ensure that I don't buy silage that is poor when opened?

I really appreciate your answers.

Thanks,
    Balt

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,537 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I'd say reconsider letting the cattle out at this stage? Rather than wasting money on silage (and would probably be poor at this late stage in the season).

You say some fields are too wet? Why not graze the dryer ones. If it was me and there was a reasonable grass cover at all at this stage I'd be getting them out as soon as possible. They'll thrive far better as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 BalthazarB

I have nearly exhausted the dry fields.

I have 90% of them out at the moment. They are in a dry hilly field at the minute, and the next one is the same. After that though I only have lower fields which, if the weather stays like this, would get totally ploughed if used, so may have to put them back in.

I'm afraid that those fields will get wrecked, setting me back for the whole summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭alleyb

a lot of fodder sellers in my area of wexford have stocks largely cleared at this stage, most fodder we sell is mainly hay as dealers can see exactly what they are buying with regards to qauality and less chance of damage to plastic in transport ,and have seen good hay bought in wex for 20 euro sold into the west for mid thirties by dealers. althought weather is broken again there is a bit of silage stock left. the best questions to ask is cutting date and condition at time of wrapping .ie late may should be nice leafy grass but in my opinion the best way is to buy one bale off the farmer as a tester and test it .but don't order in too many bales in a delivery in case the trial bale is of different quality to the rest.also if haylage 6 layers of wrap is prefferable to four.

Advertisement