Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water problem

• 13-04-2009 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi,

just after importing camper from Germany. Happy with decision, BUT, a problem has arisen. In the Hymer 534, 1991, that we bought, there seems to be a leak below where the fresh water tank is. When we first filled the tank, there was no issue, no pools of water on the ground.

But when we got home, the boot had some water and when we started to use the tap in the sink, water patches appeared on the underside of the camper near the overflow tube.

We are concerned obviously that this won't progress into a major job. The undercarriage of the vehicle other than that had no rust and the vehicle besides this looked well maintained and fresh...and no musty smell.

Can you please advise
    1. what the problem could be
    2. what the solutions are
    3. in terms of getting repaired, what would be the rough cost

any advice would be well appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

My first guess would be a leaking pipe/hose or a leaking connector.

Once you've located the leak, fixing it shouldn't be a problem and you could probably do it yourself with household means.

But then again ...I could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

does the camper have heating ?
    I sometimes forget to close the valve on the heating which means the water just spills out. You have to close the valve, fill the tank with water, turn the heating on and it draws the water it needs from the tank. If the valve is open, this may be your problem.
    Also, when its been raining, the water has to come down off the roof somewhere, and it usually finds a very strange route to the ground, this could be why you saw water in the boot etc....hopefully not a leak.
    best of luck and let us know how you get on.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Can I as k a question please and answer if you want.

Did you have to pay a lot VTR on that reason I'm asking is that I'm looking into doing the same but fear all the pitfalls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Check the seal on the boot. The water in the boot may not be connected to the water you have found elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭wishful thinker

m8 wrote: »
    Can I as k a question please and answer if you want.

Did you have to pay a lot VTR on that reason I'm asking is that I'm looking into doing the same but fear all the pitfalls.

As the vehicle has the following traits

1. Over 3,000 kgs
    2. Inside space from floor to ceiling of 1.8m

it is classed as a Type C vehicle for VRT purposes.

The VRT on this class of vehicle is €50. (possibly changed a little in the recent budget)

The annual tax is circa €85

The insurance quote we obtained with Dolmen insurance was €370 (open policy)

We brought a mechanic with us to Germany. It worked out well, as my mechanic skills are nil.

There are threads on this website giving useful info about Germany. The one negative thing would be the language barrier.:eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement