Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubbish strewn along bog roads, Monivea

Options
  • 13-04-2009 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Jesus, just getting to know the forest park and bog roads around Monivea. The rubbish strewn in the ditches is fuucking sick. I have never seen it as bad.

There are signs every half mile from Galway County Council stating that dumping is illegal and €3000 fine etc, but most of the rubbish out there is fresh (2-3 week sold). I went through a bit of one pile tonight looing for any id's but no luck.
    I was talking to one local woman tonight, she told me that travellers were caught recently, but from the fresh piles, I'd say there are many more dumpers taking their place.

Is this a traveller problem? What can be done? What can I do? What can we do? We have to do something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

KStaford wrote: »
    There are signs every half mile from Galway County Council stating that dumping is illegal and €3000 fine etc.

Council workers in another country have told me that they regard such signs doing no more than telling people that others have dumped rubbish in this spot in the past.

I don't know about the particular area, but things I've seen/heard generally make me thing that this problem is not caused by any one ethnic group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Well I've just written to Galway Co. Co. environmental dept. I have told them that I have posted the issue on boards and that I intend to bring the issue to the state broadcaster and that I'd be interested in their response before I take any further action.

I dont want to turn this issue into an ethnic bash. Its just that travellers were caught recently dumping out there. Thats a fact so it may also be a clue. But really I wanna keep this about rubbish spewed all over our beautiful bogs and bog roads. Next time I'm out there, I'll shoot some pics and post here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DD67

I regularly walk my dog down in the woods in Monivea and have done for two years and i have to say that the dumping has gotten progressively worse in that time, i came across a particular bad spot two weeks back, i actually took a picture of it. I have been told that alot of this fly tipping in down to non nationals in the rental sector who do not pay for there rubbish to be collected and judging by the amount of foreign food stuffs in the mount of rubbish pictured i would say there is some truth in it.
    dump.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

That's awful!

We get that near here too (Dublin) and it's locals who do it. They usually set it on fire too, to remove identifying matter.

DD67
    Can I ask you to also email Galway County Council ? They are at Environment@galwaycoco.ie

We need as many folks as possible to email them otherwise they will not take this seriously.

• Advertisement

Took a few snaps out at Monivea Demense this evening. Whoever these scumbags are, they have kids and dogs and they shop a lidl a lot. This is so so depressing, makes me so angry and sad at the same time.

th_24724_Img_5167_122_468lo.jpg th_24725_Img_5169_122_260lo.jpg th_24730_Img_5170_122_1060lo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 galwaycounty

Jesus thats awful,i hve seen non nationals with bags of rubbish and putting them into the litter bins around the town.Have you tried to contact that Shane fella hes over this kind of stuff youd get him in the libary he drives a purple van.We'l end up being run by rats:mad:

KStaford

Email sent with attached picture to council, hopefully something will get done about it.

well done DD67, I have just sent them a second email (as they have not yet responded to my first) and I attache dmy three images also.

Well firstly, I received a response from Galway CoCo today. They advise that they are forwarding my emails onto the Environmental officer.

Secondly, just to let you know, I was back at Monivea Demense tonight. A group of travelers have not setup home along the Newcastle side (they only moved in today). There are presently about 4-5 caravans. The litter at the site is frightening. They have litter all over the ground and bags of it thrown up into the surrounding hedgerows and trees. It’s freaking disgusting ffs !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ollielaroo

Hi KStaford,

I don't use boards.ie very often but I somehow stumbled accross this thread. I too walk that bog road sometimes and have seen a lot more rubbish there over the past year. I agree with you, dumping rubbish like that is unacceptable and stomach turning.

I also agree with the post from nipplenuts above regarding the possiblility of locals being to blame. I have taken a photo or two myself in the past. One of these photos clearly actually identifies one of the culprits as being a local resident. I'd like to support you on this but I would also like to thread carefully as I go (excuse the pun). I don't want to rush into making accusations or allegations.

I'm not very good at putting words on paper on issues like this but if you like you can PM me the contents of the letter/email you sent to the council and I would be glad to put it in my own words and send them an email, maybe with a photo or two.

Monivea is a beautiful area and most people hope it will stay that way. All it takes is one act of dumping along that road to encourage others to feel that they also have found a place to dump there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ollielaroo

A few years ago there was a chap speaking on Galway Bay FM about dumping in Athenry (I think he runs the athenry.net website).
    There is a little bit of reading and a clip from the radio interview here.

The environmental officer from Galway Co Co rang me last week. He gave me every excuse in th ebook as to why he cannot act in the short term,

Theres legal action pending.
    He has been trying to solve the problem out there for the past 7 years.
    His budget has been cut.
    He is trying to build relationships with the travellers.

Jesus it was so frustrating. He ended the call by advising me that I should write to my local councillor on the issue. It pissed me off and completely demotivated me. The rubbish out in Monevea s there to stay folks and its only getting worse.

and there's no fcuker to do a fcukin thing about it, people wont even write to the dam council to complain. I am sick and tired of laziness, apathy, filth, scum, bureaucracy, passing the book, crap!!!!

was back out cycling on the Demense, Monivea last night. Guess what, there's two new rubbish dumps strewn alongside the road. Rubbish just piled into a ditch and up onto the road itself.

One of the most beautiful country roads in Galway, maybe even Ireland, now has several rubbish tips on it.

Its So disgusting
    So sad
    So depressing

after speaking to Galway Co Co (and writing to them), I feel so helpless. I cant begin to explain how angry I am about this.

Maybe its time to contact the local press send them a few pictures, tell them what the council said to you, shame them into doing something about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

As for that lazy council employee, complain to his boss or to the county manager .

I dont think he was a lazy council employee folks, He was a nice fella and had the decency to phone me. He is just a product of the culture in some of the public sector - Institutionalised, Bureaucratic, Undynamic, Stagnant, Lack of agility etc. Thats what was depressing about talking to him. I just knew that no matter what I sad to him, he had an excuse to counter.

I think this needs people power. I think numbrs are what matter. We ALL need to complain. Thats kinda why I started this thread, to get it out into the open. Rubbish concerns us all whether this is local to you or not. - Environment@galwaycoco.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

I think we need to get people behind this too. Im living in Monivea and its a beautiful area.
    Would it be worth raising it at one of the community meetings?

I think we need to get people behind this too. Im living in Monivea and its a beautiful area.
    Would it be worth raising it at one of the community meetings?

I live in Park, Athenry, If you hold a meeting in the near future, I'll be happy to attend

One of the rubbish sites along the bog road (Demense, Monivea) has been cleared, at least I think it has been cleared. Someone (I assume the council) have put a trailor load of gravel in the site. I hope they actually removed the rubbish first and that they didn't just cover over the rubbish.

attachment.php?attachmentid=81382&stc=1&d=1243636058

Unfortunately, for about the past two weeks, new dumping sites have opened up along the road (nearer to the Newcastle side). Rubbish literally strewn from the road to the drains alongside. Its the same type of rubbish, Lidl bags, nappies, kids paraphernalia, domestic waste. So they have cleared one site but left others.

• Advertisement
Advertisement