Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Scheme Commemorative Plaque Thread

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

cmplaque.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A plaque I assumed was long since missing, the ORIGINAL Lucan Bypass one, has been dug up from wherever it was buried during the upgrade works and has now been planted beside the upgrade plaque

Will attempt to find the pic I took later on.

I'm going to try to get Cashel-Cullahill and the Portlaoise bypass some morning when it's quiet. I notice on the M8 schemes they've put the plaques off the mainline near overbridges, so they're a little hard to get to.

M8 Cashel-Cullahill:
    dscf3252.th.jpg

M7 Portlaoise Bypass:
    dscf3253v.th.jpg

stopping on the mainline, very naughty Furet ;)

(yes I know I said I'd do it myself some time, one off the list!)

• Advertisement

Dunno if these are on here yet:

N11 Glen Of The Downs - Kilmacanogue:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/9049/125066.jpg

M50 Southern Cross:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/9049/125067.jpg

I also managed to see but didn't get to stop for an extremely badly damaged set of metal plaques on an onramp to the N28 DC section, they're the standard square/rectangular ones Cork CC uses for every scheme, including urban regeneration ones... some time I'll get pics of these and the three (!) that are on the north ring road.

MYOB wrote: »

I also managed to see but didn't get to stop for an extremely badly damaged set of metal plaques on an onramp to the N28 DC section, they're the standard square/rectangular ones Cork CC uses for every scheme, including urban regeneration ones... some time I'll get pics of these and the three (!) that are on the north ring road.

Where are these plaques? I'm on the N28 at all hours of the night these past few weeks...

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.875355,-8.412687&spn=0.00052,0.001725&t=k&z=19

Rochestown Road northbound onramp. They're on a smashed up stone/concrete base and basically now loose so I'd be concerned they'll vanish at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

mfitzy wrote: »
    Great idea for a thread ;).

Clonmel one is 10 years old now. It's very obsolete at this stage too. Nothing but stupid roundabouts.

its actually named "frank drohan " Frank Drohan (13 August 1879 – 5 March 1953) was an Irish politician. He was elected unopposed at the 1921 elections for the Waterford–Tipperary East constituency as a Sinn Féin Teachta Dála (TD) in the 2nd Dáil.[1] He resigned from the Dáil on 5 January 1922 and did not vote on the Anglo-Irish Treaty.[2]
    The inner relief road outside Clonmel was named in his honour.

from wikipedia

• Advertisement

charlemont wrote: »
    its actually named "frank drohan " Frank Drohan (13 August 1879 – 5 March 1953) was an Irish politician. He was elected unopposed at the 1921 elections for the Waterford–Tipperary East constituency as a Sinn Féin Teachta Dála (TD) in the 2nd Dáil.[1] He resigned from the Dáil on 5 January 1922 and did not vote on the Anglo-Irish Treaty.[2]
    The inner relief road outside Clonmel was named in his honour.

from wikipedia

Correct. I'll take a photo of that when I get a chance.

N28 plaque:

DSCF3448.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Is that the Mulcon Valley road? AFAIK, it's the only geographical feature in Ireland named after a roads contractor...

Is that the Mulcon Valley road? AFAIK, it's the only geographical feature in Ireland named after a roads contractor...

Not sure actually what it's called, but the plaque is located here. It bypassed Douglas.

Is that the one mentioned above on the broken plinth on an onramp or is there another one?

edit: a google suggests that the broken plinth one could be the one for the Bloomfield Interchange (1999):

"This project consisted of a grade-separated junction and 1 km of dual 2-lane carriageway connecting to the Slí Charraig Dhonn road. The project was officially opened in March 1999 and cost €13.34m for the Bloomfield Interchange and including the Douglas Estuary Bridge at €9.36m the total cost was €22.7m."

This just off the N18:
    DSCF3514.jpg

DSCF3558.jpg

DSCF4235.jpg

Did you have to bail it out of the car at the plaza to get that one?

Actually, I drove into the car park for toll plaza employees via the R639 ;)

• Advertisement

Here's the N25/N27 Kinsale Road Interchange plaque: http://v8.cache4.c.bigcache.googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/original/32219602.jpg?redirect_counter=2

I must snap one of the Ballincollig Bypass soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Tremelo wrote: »
    Here's the N25/N27 Kinsale Road Interchange plaque: http://v8.cache4.c.bigcache.googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/original/32219602.jpg?redirect_counter=2

I must snap one of the Ballincollig Bypass soon...

If you were any good you would have given it a wipe of a cloth first...:p

DSCF4414.jpg

DSCF4427.jpg

DSCF4426.jpg

Said I'd snap 'em before they go the way of the dinosaur...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Is it even legal for them both to be in irish with no translation?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

This being brought up again reminds me I've still not got the N6 ones. I'll try tomorrow, really...

Also have found the locations of four more - two are going to need to be done early on a weekend morning to avoid being killed or the boys in blue stopping me and two will need me to park up somewhere and walk to it. M7 Portlaoise, M1 Airport-Balbriggan, N4 Palmerstown BP and the Belgard Road.
    MYOB, did you ever get these? You originally posted this in 2009.
    I didn't get to see the date (or even much of the inscription) on the plaque that I saw [of the M1 original stretch 1980s], but its sited along what was the original Whitehall section so could be the original one. Theres the single overbridge south of the tunnel and its under it, northbound side.
    Found it :)
    Sadly it's illegible - will need to visit.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Is it even legal for them both to be in irish with no translation?

There are English-language plaques at the other side of each bridge; I was too lazy to cross it :)

Advertisement