Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ufc97 Predictions?

Options
  • 13-04-2009 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Anyone want to have a go at this, just for a bit of intrest?
    I dont know all the fighters so will do a bit of research and then make my predictions:

Anderson Silva vs. Thales Leites Silva TKO

Chuck Liddell vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua Shogun TKO

Brian Stann vs. Krzysztof Soszynski Stann TKO

Cheick Kongo vs. Antoni Hardonk Congo KO

Luis Arthur Cane vs. Steve Cantwell Cane KO

Denis Kang vs. Xavier Foupa-Pokam Xavier Sub

Jason MacDonald vs. Nate Quarry Mac Sub

Ed Herman vs. David Loiseau Loiseau TKO

Eliot Marshall vs. Vinny Magalhaes Marshal Dec

Mark Bocek vs. David Bielkheden David Dec

T.J. Grant vs. Ryo Chonan Grant Sub

Sam Stout vs. Matt Wiman Wiman Dec

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Anderson Silva vs. Thales Leites - Stop him before the 4th

Chuck Liddell vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua - by Split Decision

Brian Stann vs. Krzysztof Soszynski - hard to call

Cheick Kongo vs. Antoni Hardonk - Stop him but not sure about the round.

Luis Arthur Cane vs. Steve Cantwell - wins by tight decision

Denis Kang vs. Xavier Foupa-Pokam - wins by submission

Jason MacDonald vs. Nate Quarry - will knock him out

Ed Herman vs. David Loiseau - dont care how he wins but once he beats him

Eliot Marshall vs. Vinny Magalhaes - hard to call

Mark Bocek vs. David Bielkheden - Bielkheden ain't much and Bocek should win in a one sided fight

T.J. Grant vs. Ryo Chonan - wins by decision

Sam Stout vs. Matt Wiman

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

Anyone want to have a go at this, just for a bit of intrest?
    I dont know all the fighters so will do a bit of research and then make my predictions:

Chuck Liddell vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua Shogun TKO

Brian Stann vs. Krzysztof Soszynski Stann TKO

Denis Kang vs. Xavier Foupa-Pokam Xavier Sub

Jason MacDonald vs. Nate Quarry Mac Sub

Sam Stout vs. Matt Wiman Wiman Dec

I would be almost the same as above except for Kang tko and Magalhaes sub and Quarry by dec.
    other than that cant wait to see the spider in action again.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Looking forward to this.

Seems like ages since the last UFC. Hope to god Shogun will be back to his old self. Have a felling this fight V Chuck will be a war.

Anderson Silva vs. Thales Leites: Silva by Triangle

Chuck Liddell vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua: Shogun by Decision

Brian Stann vs. Krzysztof Soszynski: Dunno

Cheick Kongo vs. Antoni Hardonk: Hardonk by Decision

Luis Arthur Cane vs. Steve Cantwell: Cane by TKO

Denis Kang vs. Xavier Foupa-Pokam: Kang by TKO

Jason MacDonald vs. Nate Quarry: Quarry by Decision

Not sure about the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Not going to do all of them, I would bet that Leites doesnt make it out of the 2nd. Anderson has something to prove after the Cote fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Anderson Silva vs. Thales Leites

Chuck Liddell vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua

Brian Stann vs. Krzysztof Soszynski

Cheick Kongo vs. Antoni Hardonk

Luis Arthur Cane vs. Steve Cantwell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 BeeSee

after witnessing shogun in dublin and being so disappointed with him, i hope chuck knocks him the expletive out. if shogun aint bothered to train cardio tis what he deserves

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Anyone else look at the countdown? I know its pure propaganda with editing and that but both Shogun and Liddell look good and have trained differently. Liddell stayed with Hackleman but they moved from the Pit to ATT(or just brought att trainers in....come to think of they coulda still been in the pit. Looked familiar) while shogun moved from Curitiba to Sao Paulo so he would be away from his family. Really hope Shogun comes in ready. We all remember what happened to Arona after he beat Wand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

BeeSee wrote: »
    after witnessing shogun in dublin and being so disappointed with him, i hope chuck knocks him the expletive out. if shogun aint bothered to train cardio tis what he deserves
    Shoguns had two major knee constructions in the past year and a half.. I dont think its a matter of him not been bothered to train, its more that he just wasnt able to..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Chuck Liddell vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua Liddell TKO

Brian Stann vs. Krzysztof Soszynski Krzysztof Dec

Denis Kang vs. Xavier Foupa-Pokam Kang Dec

Jason MacDonald vs. Nate Quarry Quarry Dec

Sam Stout vs. Matt Wiman Stout KO

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Anderson Silva vs. Thales Leites Leites Sub :p That's the prediction that I made after Leites' last fight and I'm sticking by it

Chuck Liddell vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua Liddell TKO

Brian Stann vs. Krzysztof Soszynski Stann Dec

Cheick Kongo vs. Antoni Hardonk Kongo Dec

Luis Arthur Cane vs. Steve Cantwell Cane Dec

Denis Kang vs. Xavier Foupa-Pokam Foupa-Pokam TKO

Jason MacDonald vs. Nate Quarry McDonald Sub

Ed Herman vs. David Loiseau Herman Sub

Eliot Marshall vs. Vinny Magalhaes Marshal TKO

Mark Bocek vs. David Bielkheden Bocek TKO

T.J. Grant vs. Ryo Chonan Chonan Sub

Sam Stout vs. Matt Wiman Stout KO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Bold prediction of . . . . . Silva to win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 BeeSee

Shoguns had two major knee constructions in the past year and a half.. I dont think its a matter of him not been bothered to train, its more that he just wasnt able to..

Surely he shouldnt take a fight that he can't prepare properly for no? maybe he knew colman would gas easier so took the fight. in the build up to it wasnt there rumours that some of the training footage released by shogun was from years gone by? cause everyone taught he looked unreal coming into it.

Hope your right. I'd be very disappointed if Dublin was the real shogun. make or break for him now.

Kongo to win with striking and Loiseau to end it with elbows

Main Event – UFC Middleweight Championship
    Anderson Silva (182) vs Thales Leites (185)

Chuck Liddell (206) vs Mauricio “Shogun” Rua (206)
    Cheick Kongo (232) vs Antoni Hardonk (249)
    Steve Cantwell (205) vs Luiz Cane (206)
    Krzysztof Soszynski (204) vs Brian Stann (206)

Vinicius Magalhaes (204) vs Eliot Marshall (205)
    Denis Kang (185) vs Xavier Foupa-Pokam (185)
    Jason MacDonald (186) vs Nate Quarry (186)
    David Loiseau (185) vs Ed Herman (186)
    Mark Bocek (154) vs David Bielkheden (157)
    Ryo Chonan (171) vs TJ Grant (169)
    Sam Stout (155) vs Matt Wiman (155)

Silva @ 182. Bit mad :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

BeeSee wrote: »
    Surely he shouldnt take a fight that he can't prepare properly for no?
    Possibly, who knows really? He wouldnt be the first fighter to come back too soon. (Mir for example)

Hopefully he's got his cardio sorted for this one anyway, he's such an awesome fighter to watch.

Silva weighing in at 182 is strange.. Would that indicate that he didnt have to cut any weight?

Rumour is he walks around at about 215 normally, gets down to about 200 before the fight, then cuts 15 pounds.. if this is true why would he bother cutting those extra few pounds??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Kongo to win and call for a title fight, which he still won't get because he's not marketable enough.

Kongo to win and call for a title fight, which he still won't get because he's not marketable enough.

Sorry, where is UFC's next country there going into but I don't see them bringing Lesnar over if he beats Mir.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Might have a better chance of being seen in this thread!

Lads my Sky digital is after breaking and im afraid that im going to miss ufc tonight :mad::(

Is there anywhere online I can watch it? I dont mind paying if thats the case!

Mods: Im not sure what the rules are in this forum regarding posting links to sites and streams???? I know some forums allow them but please feel free to edit if its breaking the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

he started cutting weight early to avoid any fatigue like what happened against Cote, Ed Soares his manager said he has never seen him so focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Hardonk is a better kickboxer and jiu jitsu guy and will kick his ass.

Right now all I can say is
    WAR SHOGUN!Knew i should made that bet :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Right now all I can say is
    WAR SHOGUN!Knew i should made that bet :(
    What price was he? I wasn't paying any attention to the build up but when I saw tonight that Chuck was fighting I couldn't believe it, he's been past it for a while now.

*EDIT*
    Does Silva sell PPVs to casual fans? Dana must be dying to get the title off him somehow. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I predict-yawn followed by snore followed by zzzz,s. Worst ufc i can remember.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

If anyone hasnt seen 97 yet, dont watch Silva / Leites because it is a waste of time watching that fight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

cowzerp wrote: »
    I predict-yawn followed by snore followed by zzzz,s. Worst ufc i can remember.

Obviously you arent a PROPER MMA fan obviously. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

wasnt a great show over all, normally id be the 1st to stick up for the tactical battle etc but even i found it hard to appreciate those 5 rounds.

That said , the boo's i can understand but some of the other chants where a bit ott, although i wasnt paying to watch the fight and they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Lads my Sky digital Starview Box is after breaking and im afraid that im going to miss ufc tonight :mad::(

fixed that for you ;)

calex71 wrote: »
    wasnt a great show over all, normally id be the 1st to stick up for the tactical battle etc but even i found it hard to appreciate those 5 rounds.

Especially with Goldberg & Rogan's commentary in the background just awful. Way to ruin your creditability guys trying to stick up for it. What was funny was Dana White buried the fight later in the post fight press conference further making them look like fools.
    calex71 wrote: »
    That said , the boo's i can understand but some of the other chants where a bit ott, although i wasnt paying to watch the fight and they were.

From watching Montreal MMA & Pro Wrestling crowds over the years they are uniquely expressive. I must stay I got a kick out of the GSP chant.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

WAR Shogun!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

rovert wrote: »
    Especially with Goldberg & Rogan's commentary in the background just awful. Way to ruin your creditability guys trying to stick up for it. What was funny was Dana White buried the fight later in the post fight press conference further making them look like fools.

In all fairness do you really think 2 UFC employees are going to bury their own product live on air? Get real, they were just doing their job! Can't figure out what's going on with A. Silva, 2 snorefest's in a row now! He could've buried Leites at any stage lastnight but wouldn't engage. It was the same with Cote but the Predator dos have heavy hands so I can see why Silva would be a little more wary!
    *EDIT* Spoiler:
    Does Silva sell PPVs to casual fans? Dana must be dying to get the title off him somehow. tongue.gif

So what you're saying is you're a casual fan telling Dana White how he should feel about P4P 1 of (imo) the best fighters in the world?:confused: Silva up until the Cote fight has impressively finished all his fights since his UFC debut against Chris Leben! I can definitely see where you're coming from though :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Burkatron wrote: »
    In all fairness do you really think 2 UFC employees are going to bury their own product live on air? Get real, they were just doing their job!

They don’t have bury it out right. Same way they don’t have to defend it to the degree that they were last night when they were in effect burying the crowd's reaction to the fight. There is a tactful middle ground.
    Burkatron wrote: »
    So what you're saying is you're a casual fan telling Dana White how he should feel about P4P 1 of (imo) the best fighters in the world?:confused:

Yes, Dana is an MMA promoter and his job is to feature fights that people will pay to see.

Advertisement