Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada

Options
  • 13-04-2009 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

Just curious. Everyone is raving that the best place to escape this dump of a country is to go to Canada. Have the Canadians done things economically better then the rest of the world or how come there are jobs there when other places are suffering? I am working here but would love to get away as after the budget among other things it is so depressing to be in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Colmfatcamp

Canada's situation, as I understand it, is that the outlook is not as grim as other places in the world. They have a very prudent banking system in place which means their toxic debt situation is far lower than most other countries, and they have generally made far more prudent investments that have not got them into a mess of a situation like others around the world. Therefore, banks over here continue to recruit and they are managing their way through the financial crisis.

Retail is generally positive here in comparison to the rest of the world as well, but it is manufactoring which is struggling the most, and it is where most of the problems lie within their economy. I am here in Toronto at the moment and their are jobs available, but it is an extremely competitive market and it did take some time to get set-up with work here. However, in comparison to what I'm hearing elsewhere, this place is valhalla.

If you're depressed at home I would recommend heading out for a year and give Ireland time to cope with the doom and gloom. We'll get over it eventually, it just sounds like people dont know what else to do except have a bit of a moan about life right now (understandably I suppose) so you may as well have some fun while you still can!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭greenteaicedtea

I have always lived a few hours away from Toronto, and I wonder if people realize how cold it gets here in the winter, or whether that matters or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 GavDeMav

Canada's situation, as I understand it, is that the outlook is not as grim as other places in the world. They have a very prudent banking system in place which means their toxic debt situation is far lower than most other countries, and they have generally made far more prudent investments that have not got them into a mess of a situation like others around the world. Therefore, banks over here continue to recruit and they are managing their way through the financial crisis.

Retail is generally positive here in comparison to the rest of the world as well, but it is manufactoring which is struggling the most, and it is where most of the problems lie within their economy. I am here in Toronto at the moment and their are jobs available, but it is an extremely competitive market and it did take some time to get set-up with work here. However, in comparison to what I'm hearing elsewhere, this place is valhalla.

If you're depressed at home I would recommend heading out for a year and give Ireland time to cope with the doom and gloom. We'll get over it eventually, it just sounds like people dont know what else to do except have a bit of a moan about life right now (understandably I suppose) so you may as well have some fun while you still can!

What are the job prospects for a bricklayer over there?? Is there much construction work? I'm in the same boat. Have to get out of here its doing my nut in.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mindlet

GavDeMav wrote: »
    What are the job prospects for a bricklayer over there?? Is there much construction work? I'm in the same boat. Have to get out of here its doing my nut in.
    Hi All

If you willl be in Toronto in Oct 09 please let me know, I am heading Solo on 5 Oct and need to meet people there. Really love to hear from people in the Ontario area :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 CocoPops25

Hi ya,

just wondering are there any jobs in human resource field in Canada or is that badly hit?

If anyone has an info I would really appreciate it as I am strongly thinking of moving.

cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement