Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite oldskool GSM phone

Options
  • 13-04-2009 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

If there was any phone from the good old days before phones got colour screens to return to production which would it be?

the nokia 5210 was a great phone imo. keyboard was a bit annoying but the thing is indestructable. mine's still working :) i like the too 6310 but they got all bashed up and its hard enough to put a new housing on one

it would be nice if in a few years when LTE or whatever have taken over the world they bring out a few updated versions of these old phones. like change nothing else in the design but make it so that it will work on the new networks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

The 5110. The old reliable brick with snake

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    The 5110. The old reliable brick with snake
    My favourite indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

i had a 5110 but some bastard robbed it. for some reason there was always some sort of a problem with the battery otherwise it was a daycent phone

it was only singleband GSM but one day i saw IRL-03 (Meteor) show up on it. this was back when meteor just came into existence

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

3310 was a classic. Still got 2 working perfectly. Little chunkier but was shorter in length. Also had hard buttons rather than the rubber ones

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Towel you fecker.

I wanted to go to bed.
    I felt compulsed to go rooting for those old phones lying around the house :)

lrg-54-dsc_2466.JPG

That is the guts of a 6233 btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

What's that 6070 doing there on the right? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I had this baby around 2000-2001, I think.

1.jpg

It was a brick. But that was more than made up for when I flipped open the keypad to reveal the touch-sensitive screen you could write on.

And I could get my e-mail on it via a dial-up CSD connection.

I can still hear the "ooohs" and "aaaaahs". :)

/nerd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

the motorola star tac every time i used it i thought i was captain kirk

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

ericsson t28 - best phone ever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Nokia 3210 and 6310. I had the 5110, but it was annoyingly brickish, so I was glad once handsets started becoming smaller, relatively, and losing the antenna.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Ericsson T39

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Nokia 3310

Phone of a generation tbh

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

nokia-8210.gif

ah the 8210. i thought a lot o those had a problem where the 'ink' on the screen would start to disappear?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Nokia 3210, great phone. My old one still works, though the battery is kaput.

3310 a close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

5110 - but never owned, was always jealous of my m8s at school (way before most working peopl had a phone, never mind schoolies).

first phone myself (around 99-00) was the 3210 will always have a soft spot for.. was ok, but reception kept cutting after 9-10months (was first mass phone without an aerial, and rem thinking wouldnt buy one without an aerial again lol!!)

then went from 7110 (which got nicked) to an (ericssonn not se) t68 which was all time fav

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

+1 for

nokia3310.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I hated the 5110, everyone had one. My fave is still the 6110! I have two :)

Nokia%206110.jpg

the 6110 is definitely more classy looking than the 5110. i couldn't afford one back in the day, had to make do with the ol 5110

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

I liked my Nokia 6150, then my 6310i, 8210, 8310 and 9210 when I had them (not all at the same time!)

The Motorola V3688 was pretty cool but the menu was a pain.

Seem to be sticking with my 6230i now which is a bit oldskool. Use an E71 too but also have an 1101, an E51 and a 5800 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 StikkiNikki

3210 forever!!!!

I'd use it today if it still worked and had vibration! Love the simple oldies!!!

Forget your camera/mp3/real tones!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

When I saw this thread title on the main page, I knew it would be you towel that started it.

I only ever had a Trium Mars i think it was...then off to Sony but the joy sticks were fairly bad on them. I loved the Sony Ericcson T68i

sony_t68.jpg I miss it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Is anyone else a little tempted to buy 1 of the phones here :ohttp://www.retrobrick.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ditcar

i just spent ages looking through that site,think i need to buy something ,anything!!

Webmonkey wrote: »
    When I saw this thread title on the main page, I knew it would be you towel that started it.

I only ever had a Trium Mars i think it was...then off to Sony but the joy sticks were fairly bad on them. I loved the Sony Ericcson T68i

I miss it :(

yea i totally digg the oldskool tech. now back to browsing gopher while listening to valve radio

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The 5210. Those things were indestructible. They should build bomb shelters out of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

siemens c10 had one a couple of years. And the little sis had it for another after me. great phone:)http://www.nastroek.net/models/Siemens/Data/images/siemens_c10.jpgsiemens_c10.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Is anyone else a little tempted to buy 1 of the phones here :ohttp://www.retrobrick.com/

Woah..

http://www.retrobrick.com/4500x.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Analogue network so wont work ( i believe)
    This ones GSM though :D
    http://www.retrobrick.com/1000.html

Advertisement