Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridesmaid dress ideas?!? Help me!!

Options
  • 14-04-2009 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Okay so now we have nearly decided a date for the wedding and, like ALL girls, I ran straight to google and had a look at wedding dresses, morning suits, pageboy suits etc!!

What I would love to know is - isn't there some kind of "rules" (maybe not exactly rules but kind of like it) about what colour your bridesmaid dresses are according to the season?

Can anyone give me any ideas about this. We have it narrowed down to summer ( I think) but I just cant think of what colours to have them in! I think I'm wearing ivory too - can't wear white!!! Hence my name!! Heehee!:D:D
    I forgot to mention that its a registry office wedding but I am still wearing a proper wedding dress!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Try to bear in mind the size of the bridesmaids if you are having more than one. What looks good on a size mightnt look so hot on a size 16 for example. One way around is to have different styles in the same colour.
    Monsoon is a great place to get dresses especially is they have a sale on. My friend got her 3 bridesmaid dresses for about 150 in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭MILF

Yes I thought of that and I think I'm just gonna go for a colour and have the style of dress reflect their own tastes etc. Kinda like Charlotte did in SATC in her first wedding!
    Thanks for the tip though - does Monsoon have a website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 just curious

http://www.monsoon.co.uk/page/sizeguide

Have a look here and see if you see anything nice, BTW have a Fab Wedding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Kitty_N

Wedding attire actually comes with loads and loads of etiquette, not that you have to follow it all, that's up to you.

The first thing to consider is the time of year, you said you're thinking about summer which means you should stick to lighter colours. Think pinks, pale blues or yellows, or any "summery" colour really.

A lot of people are leaning towards letting their bridesmaids pick their own style. However, whether they have strapless or halterneck dresses or whatever, having them all in the same length dress really makes the pictures seem a bit neater.

The time of day that you are having your wedding is the most important thing with regard to picking a style. A morning wedding should have paler colours, lighter materials and dresses should be to the knee. An evening wedding generally requires full length dresses and perhaps darker colours.

Saying all that, it's your day so you should just pick what you like really.:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

My sister is getting married in July, and we're wearing black bridesmaid dresses. We tried other colours, but black was the only one that everyone liked and didn't overpower the brides dress. I wouldn't worry about the rules, just go with what looks nice for the bridesmaids and yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

go with what you (& your bridesmaids like) check out tk maxx, you would be surprised at the bridesmaidy dress they have, and in all sozes as well. debenhams is also a good place to look. different colours tend to come in each season, for example if orange in 'in' this year then they will be all sorts of shades to chose from, from peach to burnt umber. dont forget to bring a tiny swatch of your dress materiall when you go to look for dresses as each shade will look totoally different, & when you do decide what colour to go with get a swatch of this too (for matching cake ribbon, flowers, mass booklets, invites etc etc)

Well I went to the bridal outlet in Baldoyle today (by myself so no one would sway what I liked!) and picked out my dress. Might be a tad early but I firmly believe in the "feeling" you get when you see THE dress and trust me, I got it!

Its an ivory colour and its got a lot of intricate detail on it but it is so stunning, I nearly fancied meself in it!!:D

Seeing as its a registry office do, I would only need maybe one bridesmaid - or is she called a witness? - I also have one flowergirl and two pageboys so I need to kit them out too.

Then there's the groom.....:rolleyes:

Oh Gawd! Starting to get caught up in the whole thing now!
    If I'm wearing ivory, can my witness/bridesmaid wear like a pastel yellow kind of colour, seeing as it will be a late summer do? I'm so confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Pastel yellow doesnt sound the nicest- though im sure it probably looks lovely.

What about a pale green colour? I think that might be nice with ivory

http://www.theweddingshop.co.uk/forever_yours_bridesmaids.html

Look at the bottom left pic on this page...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

MILF wrote: »
    Oh Gawd! Starting to get caught up in the whole thing now!
    If I'm wearing ivory, can my witness/bridesmaid wear like a pastel yellow kind of colour, seeing as it will be a late summer do? I'm so confused!

A cousin of mine had yellow bridesmaid dresses for her wedding and they were gorgeous!! They were a pale lemon colour, very plain with a chiffon tie around the middle that went down at the back!! They were really lovely!! I think it would look great with the ivory dresses and maybe do the flowers with lots of greenery and a small bit of a bright colour... like a crazy orange!

With a summer wedding i would definately go with a nice bright cheerful colour! But just make sure the colour suits all your bridemaids!
    Congradulations! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement