Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic question.

Options
  • 14-04-2009 1:29am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking at using the attic space for storage and maybe a room of sorts.
    Roughly how much would it cost to
    Strip out old insulation
    Install new insulation
    Floor the area
    Install a window
    Install alight.
    I've seen offers from contractors doing these jobs individualy,would it better to get it all done together?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Degsy wrote: »
    I'm looking at using the attic space for storage and maybe a room of sorts.
    Roughly how much would it cost to
    Strip out old insulation
    Install new insulation
    Floor the area
    Install a window
    Install alight.
    I've seen offers from contractors doing these jobs individualy,would it better to get it all done together?

Its not a big job. What they usually do is strip out the insulation and apply the stiff kingspan to the ceiling. I think this is a mistake unless

1. You are sleeping in the room
    2, You are putting an attic rad in.

Why? Cause you are stripping away the layer that kept all the heat in and exposing your house to a larger area that needs heating. If i were just using it as a bit of storage I would just pack more insulation in and floor it.

The light will need to be done first, This is better left in the hands of an electrician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ClearviewAttics

Hey,

If you want to email me the dimensions of your attic i will give you a quote on what you need done

clearviewattics@hotmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 BUILDERSKY

HI Degsy.
    Before you start get an engineer or well educated builder to look at the roof construction, and joist if they can be floored.
    To make a bigger space You might need to cut some elements and this is realy danger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

careful now! Are your joists up to the loading you are proposing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 zeddicus80

Hi - I've used a crowd that does insulation surveys in Dublin for Free.
    They came in at a time that suited me, measured everything up and gave
    me a quote and advice on grants.

www.csps.ie
    info@csps.ie

Hope that helps!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

BUILDERSKY wrote: »
    HI Degsy.
    Before you start get an engineer or well educated builder to look at the roof construction, and joist if they can be floored.
    To make a bigger space You might need to cut some elements and this is realy danger

Never thought of that.
    I'll get it checked out.

Advertisement